Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so recently I finally got a new Wii after going many months without, and one game I just HAD to get again was Twilight Princess.

When it first came out in 2006 I love it. Ok it was basically a shitload of fanwank, Nintendo clearly catered to the Zelda fanboys & also it was no Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker or Majora's Mask but I still regarded it as a classic. I never played it again afterwards though. Reason? 360 & DS had so much good shit to give.

So last week I fired it back up (well I did before hand but that was for a "different" reason) and I really struggled to enjoy it. It was just, kinda meh. Midna really really pissed me off. The dungeons seemed very very generic and the look was lacking the great art direction that previous Zelda games had.

Its not that I haven't played Zelda games the second time round, hell I've lost count on how many times I've played the others (well PH was just the three times, once in Japanese...loved it and the twice again...mmm not as good) but the thing about the others was that I discovered new bits about them, I still enjoyed them a lot and had a lot of fun, TP however just lost so much about the series that I loved and I really am confused to why I love it the first time why, perhaps it was my fanboy mind (now waning) that made me love it.

So the point of the thread, who else feels like this? Who else feels that this is the worst game in the series?

sekhu

moo?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I wrote a lengthy response to your question, but it just seemed too long. So in a few words, Twilight Princess sucked hard. It was unoriginal, it was recycled and it was fan service. It's the worst 3D zelda game, the others I played more than once, TP I was grateful for finishing because it bored me to tears. I never had any desire to play it for a second time. It lacked so much, I just hope the new Zelda being touted for the Wii will offer some fresh ideas and innovate rather than recycle.

I think you were deluded by your fanboy fantasy that the game was any good. It's really rather average. When Gamespot gave it a less than 9 score, I agreed with it wholeheartedly, In fact I would probably have given the game a seven if I was writing the review. Nintendo also stated that they were disappointed by the sales of TP though I don't know if it being a poor game was the reasoning behind the poor sales.

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't. I love TP. But I can't see myself playing it again because Zelda is a puzzle game and I'd rather play a game I've never played before. TP is still a good game.

Same goes for Mario Galaxy. I don't see myself playing it again from scratch and by looking at Mario 64, it's kinda inferior to 64.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
I finished it one time.. this year, and I liked it very much, found it even better than Wind Waker (I got kinda disappointed by that game). But yes, I agree that the game is all a huge fanservice, a lot of plot elements were taken from Ocarina of Time, but well.. if you remember.. that's what the fans asked for
tongue.gif

It would probably lose all that magic if I played it again, dunno.. it's definitely not better than OoT, it has nothing new or innovative (aside from the Wii controls, but that's a point for the Wii, not the game), but it's still a really good game, one of the best I played on the Wii. And IMO, Midna is a great character.. until the half of the game when she gets good and stops threating Link like crap, she lost me there
tongue.gif

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R2DJ said:
Same goes for Mario Galaxy. I don't see myself playing it again from scratch and by looking at Mario 64, it's kinda inferior to 64.
I still love Galaxy after finishing it five times, never really got into 64 that much, didn't seem to be a "true" Mario game for me.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People keep trying to relate TP to the past zelda games, and that's not what you should be doing because what they had with Ocarina of Time was truly captivating. And you shouldn't expect another Zelda game like it. All Zelda games are good in their own way and that's what Nintendo is going to keep doing, they're going to try an make the Zelda games unique to the franchise.
I liked Twilight Princess even after playing 3 times. It has a great story and the characters are developed so well. The only problem was that the boss fights were easy and unchallenging.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think TP was absolutly amazing in every aspect. I still remember the scene with Midna, where she is hurt and wolf-link has to carry her... absolutly epic!

But I feel like R2DJ: I play Games like Zelda or Okami just once, because puzzles and story are never the same the second or third time around...

And "A Link to The past" has yet to beaten. I like every Zelda game but ALTTP is by far the best. And by far I mean by far
wink.gif
Wow the first time walking through that rain was magic...

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fount Majora's Mask & Wind Waker to be just as captivating, WW for its style & MM for the audacity for trying something different.

I'd love Nintendo to do to TP what MM did to OoT, and that could be possible since they did say something about TP being the last Zelda game of its kind.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I got it for Christmas along with the Wii launch. I...uh, didn't get very far until I ended up losing interest, and I tried to pick it up again only to suffer the same fate. Damn.

I've played and beaten OoT, MM, and most of Wind Waker, then there's also LttP, LA, and...uh..what else was there? Played some of the original and its sequel, that's really it.

My roommate almost beat it though. He insisted on completing the Cave of Trials thing though.

Mario Galaxy, on the other hand I got last Christmas and never really played a lot of...and only in the past couple of weeks have I been really playing it for some reason. I guess the will to play comes with time?

Hadrian

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doomsday Forte said:
I've played and beaten OoT, MM, and most of Wind Waker, then there's also LttP, LA, and...uh..what else was there? Played some of the original and its sequel, that's really it.
Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages on GBC are must have games too, many people have never played them. Those two are much better than Phantom Hourglass (too easy & short sadly) & Minish Cap (nice idea but needed a better level design and dialogue). Four Swords Adventures for GC was great too but only with other people to play with.

Also though its not much of a Zelda game, the Tingle RPG game was really good. I guess it was "too ghey" for some, even though Tingle was all about the ladies in that.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well i played lttp a few years ago
Got twilgiht princess last year
Reminded me alot of lttp
Still have to beat twilight princess.
=D

Also:
Link to the Past/Four Swords = only Zelda game I've ever beaten

And I've played alot

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah it didn't really do it for me either...not sure what it was. I enjoyed it the first play through but its the only zelda game I won't go through again.

Didn't have anything new...just same old same old perhaps?

Majoras mask was awesome
biggrin.gif

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, TP was still a little disappointing when I played it first time. But every time I try and make myself play it again I give up. Honestly, the classic 2D Zeldas are where it's at.

I don't know why it's disappointing really. I guess there was nothing new, the Midna areas were the biggest pain in the ass ever, and it just felt like Nintendo listened too hard to us fans. Next time Nintendo, do what you did with Wind Waker, and do something different rather than paying attention to us fans and our desires.

QUOTE said:
Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages on GBC are must have games too, many people have never played them. Those two are much better than Phantom Hourglass (too easy & short sadly) & Minish Cap (nice idea but needed a better level design and dialogue). Four Swords Adventures for GC was great too but only with other people to play with.
QFT
Plus the fact Oracle Of Seasons was my first ever Zelda game, and they have to be my favourite. Probably the awesome dungeons, the sidequests and all the little secrets in the games. More depth than all the other Zeldas, perhaps more so than Ocarina. The interconnectivity just adds another level of awesome. How Nintendo pulled off 2 high-quality games at once I'll never know.
Also, fun fact:
Originally it was planned as a trilogy with Farore having her own game too, but it proved too much in the end, so they made 2 instead.

DemonaCosta

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game out right now.

If you’re and old school OOT fan then you might find a hard time letting go of the fact that this game beats it out completely.

The storyline is one of the most interesting and open since you can either do the storyline by going between the two worlds, or just travel.

That plus all the other stuff which I don't have the room to mention all of in one post.

So I love Twilight Princess.

Holding onto OOT as I mentioned earlier will ruin TP for old fans of it.

TP is the best.

OOT is still 2nd though.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DemonaCosta said:
Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game out right now.

If you’re and old school OOT fan then you might find a hard time letting go of the fact that this game beats it out completely.

The storyline is one of the most interesting and open since you can either do the storyline by going between the two worlds, or just travel.

That plus all the other stuff which I don't have the room to mention all of in one post.

So I love Twilight Princess.

Holding onto OOT as I mentioned earlier will ruin TP for old fans of it.

TP is the best.

OOT is still 2nd though.
I highly doubt much people will agree to that

Seems to me that the concept of the Twilight world is a rip off of Link to the Past
But thats just me and I still have to find the mirror shards...

I've nevered played OOT so don't count me in on that
smile.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Doomsday Forte said:

Also though its not much of a Zelda game, the Tingle RPG game was really good. I guess it was "too ghey" for some, even though Tingle was all about the ladies in that.
Oh yeah! I forgot about a good number of the handheld ones, didn't I...?

I tried some of the Oracle games. Seeing how my first Zelda was LttP and my second was LA, they should be pretty good if I actually sit down and play them instead of pretending I have ADD. I want to say I was quite far in Minish Cap but I got stuck somewhere and gave up. Never did get into Phantom Hourglass.

The Tingle game wasn't really that bad, though I also didn't do too much in it. The whole thing about getting information from people and having to use your Rupees was a little off-putting (especially if you didn't put up enough). But, I suppose that's a business game in the guise of a semiRPG. =P

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
List of Zelda titles :

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Legend of Zelda II : Links Adventure (NES)
Legend of Zelda : Link to the Past (SNES/GBA/WiiVC)
Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (N64)
Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask (N64)
Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker (GameCube)
Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess (GameCube/Wii)
Legend of Zelda : 4 Swords Adventure (GameCube)
Legend of Zelda : Links Awakening (DX) (Gameboy/Gameboy Color - extra content if played on GBA)
Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Ages (Gameboy Color)
Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Seasons (Gameboy Color)
Legend of Zelda : The Minish Cap (GBA)
Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass (DS)

and the 3 bastard children

Zelda's Adventure (Philips CD-i)
Link : The Faces of Evil (Philips CD-i)
Zelda : The Wand of Gamelon (Philips CD-i)

If I forgot any, please let me know.

Back to topic, I loved TP, and now with Ocarina, I can go back and do the Super Clawshot to mess around, and get to places I'd love to see (out of bounds)

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
zidane_genome said:
List of Zelda titles :

Legend of Zelda (NES)
Legend of Zelda II : Links Adventure (NES)
Legend of Zelda : Link to the Past (SNES/GBA/WiiVC)
Legend of Zelda : Ocarina of Time (N64)
Legend of Zelda : Majora's Mask (N64)
Legend of Zelda : The Wind Waker (GameCube)
Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess (GameCube/Wii)
Legend of Zelda : 4 Swords Adventure (GameCube)
Legend of Zelda : Links Awakening (DX) (Gameboy/Gameboy Color - extra content if played on GBA)
Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Ages (Gameboy Color)
Legend of Zelda : Oracle of Seasons (Gameboy Color)
Legend of Zelda : The Minish Cap (GBA)
Legend of Zelda : Phantom Hourglass (DS)

and the 3 bastard children

Zelda's Adventure (Philips CD-i)
Link : The Faces of Evil (Philips CD-i)
Zelda : The Wand of Gamelon (Philips CD-i)

If I forgot any, please let me know.

Back to topic, I loved TP, and now with Ocarina, I can go back and do the Super Clawshot to mess around, and get to places I'd love to see (out of bounds)
Four Swords =D
not adventures

Yes, my first and only beaten Zelda game is Lttp/Four Swords

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: hi everyone.