one lazy schmo
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Because my DS is too bulky to be a good multimedia player (and has a horribly low capacity, even when using 8 GB microSDs - not to mention the resolution), and my cellphone drains the battery way too quickly, I've decided to shell out some saved money for a quality portable multimedia device. Now, I can't decide between getting a Zune 80 or iPod Touch. The dilemma is killing me.
frown.gif

I'm really thrilled by all the extra functions and a developing homebrew scene the iPod has, but on the other hand, I'm getting Eee 900 in Summer, which could easily replace them. Zune, however, sports a nice big hard-drive with a lot of capacity, but is limited to music, videos, photos, podcasts and radio. I love watching movies, so the capacity is a great reason to go for Microsoft's PMP. Yet, iPod Touch has a bigger resolution ...

Help me! And please, provide some arguments, I don't want to hear fanboys' opinions.
tongue.gif

Thanks!

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have an iPod Touch (32 GB) and I like it a lot ... bought it on impulse, some weeks ago, just for the hell of it, really.

I like the interface, and the touchscreen works beautifully, the battery lasts a good while, even when I have my bluetooth adapter plugged in, for either my bluetooth headphones or bluetooth speaker ... I even really used to hate iTunes, but have come to like it ... it's light, compact, has the usual clean Apple lines ... it is one of my better recent purchases.

I even find myself using it for email ... and, god help me, the YouTube button gets used a lot, but mainly to check out RiffTrax clips lol

Much better than some of the players I have owned, such as the Creative Zen M.

Sadly, never having owned a Zune, I cannot give you any comparisons, but I thought I'd share my opinions on the iPod Touch
smile.gif

TaMs

Randomizer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hmmm... you can usually get zune with more space than ipod, with same amount of money, so i'd choose zune. Also i don't like how apple takes über prices from everything. (don't like ms either though)
I have some random chinese copy of ipod nano. It does what it's made for: It plays music (also videos, games etc. i think). And cost like 15$.
biggrin.gif

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The reason I never bought a Zune is that they have not been officially released here, in the UK, yet ... Microsoft have said late 2008, at the earliest, if they get released here at all.

If, and when, they get released here, I shall no doubt buy one, as I am a complusive gadget junkie lol

fischju

Rehabilitated Jaywalker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you like movies, get neither.

The Archos 605 plays almost everything without conversion (xvid, h264, vobs, ect)
Has an 800x480 screen that completely owns the Touch's screen. (it can play in full DVD resolution)
Has Qtopia, and a great web browser with flash
Can stream from any UPnP source, or from your regular old wireless network
Comes in 4GB, 20GB, 30GB, 40GB, 80GB, and 160GB models (from $180 to $350)
With a $20 dock (small dock) you can ouput to a TV, and hook up USB thumb drives, MP3 players, and HDDs (Anything that connects to a PC as a mass storage device, and can can play from or transfer back and forth)

It is basically a small and cheap media center PC, that fits in your hand.

archos605wifi.jpg

SavageWaffle

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Zune may have more storage, but is lacking its features. Just buy a copy of a ipod nano. It does what it does. But be sure that if it says "2 GB", it really has 1 gb. So if u buy a 1 gb copy of a ipod nano, it will have a division of 2 of that.

tomqman

This Is Everyone's Fault But Mine.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well ive got an ipod touch 16GB and i love it
smile.gif
i can do all my ipod stuff, check/send emails, browse the net/ play snes, nes, psx(bit slow), genesis and gba games on it and there are some really kool apps like apollo(instant messenger). also ther are some really good looking games coming soon.

Monkey ball

Spore

Touch Fighter

SavageWaffle said:
Zune may have more storage, but is lacking its features. Just buy a copy of a ipod nano. It does what it does. But be sure that if it says "2 GB", it really has 1 gb. So if u buy a 1 gb copy of a ipod nano, it will have a division of 2 of that.

thats only if its been hacked or a bad seller as my 2gb ipod nano clone is 2gb

Mars

Radioactive Propaganda Minister
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah yes, I almost forgot the Archos that offtopic suggested. It will certainly satisfy your needs, as it incorporates the high-capacity of the Zune as well as an array of features a la the Touch. If you don't mind the extra bulk you should purchase an Archos 605.

tomqman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DrKupo said:
The Ipod Touch is just a demo Iphone. Get the real thing.
blink.gif
the ipod touch is an ipod not a demo iphone. its for the people that want the great new features from apple but dont want a phone.
lecture.gif

QUOTE(Mars @ Mar 29 2008, 09:27 PM) Ah yes, I almost forgot the Archos that offtopic suggested. It will certainly satisfy your needs, as it incorporates the high-capacity of the Zune as well as an array of features a la the Touch. If you don't mind the extra bulk you should purchase an Archos 605.

MaHe said he does not want a bulky player thats why he wants a ipod or a zune. archos is about as chunky as you can get

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tomqman said:
DrKupo said:
blink.gif
the ipod touch is an ipod not a demo iphone. its for the people that want the great new features from apple but dont want a phone.
lecture.gif

You are incorrect, sorry.

offtopic84 said:
QUOTE(DrKupo @ Mar 29 2008, 01:30 PM)

Do you get some kind of commision from AT&T and Apple?

Fuck yeah I do

DrKupo

Resistance: Fall of Gbatemp
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

tomqman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DrKupo said:
tomqman said:
DrKupo said:
blink.gif
lecture.gif

You are incorrect, sorry.

offtopic84 said:
QUOTE(DrKupo @ Mar 29 2008, 01:30 PM)

Do you get some kind of commision from AT&T and Apple?

Fuck yeah I do

ok il have my ipod touch 16GB £200 + plus my nokia £20 + credit for 18 Months £180 = £400

You can have your Iphone 8GB £269 + £35 a month 18month contract =£899

and now what to spend my spare £499 on
nyanya.gif

oh did i forget to say that you can call people on the ipod touch and text!!!!!!
just need to buy the microphone attachment (just need to be connected to wifi).

if the iphone was cheaper i would get one but since i have a phone i dont need to wast that much money. and can get all the features for way less

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm happier with my 32GB Touch, than some of my friends are with their 8 & 16 GB iPhones.

They are all either trapped in contracts with O2, or have unlocked ones, that they purchased for silly money online.

I'm with tomqman ... I'll stick with my Touch & my £30 Mandarina Duck, thanks all the same, rather than be owned by O2 for 18 months, or more.

tomqman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
754boy said:
I'm a Zune baby. You get tons more hdd space, less a gimmicky touchscreen, for a lower price. Plus thy're more durable than the oh so delicate ipods.

get an ipod touch if you like the look of the features and upcoming games ect... or get the zune if your just looking for hdd space to fill with crap.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Senile discussion felt like we were having this type of conversation already