Gaming +12 Volt rail Fluctuation

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My roommate's computer is having problems, z68 mobo, 2500k, 560ti 448 cores, 8gig ram, and 750 watt corsiar psu. His 12v is fluctuating between 11.978 and 11.903 when in the bios, and sometimes to 12.4. Could this be the reason stuff's disconnecting?

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There should be nothing wrong with a 12V rail being between 11.4-12.6 if it's outside of that then it could be causing problems, only way to really give an accurate reading from the rail is with a multimeter though but I highly doubt that it'd be the cause.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
it's fluctuating because most of hardware connected and/or using 12v connection are using different power resource all the time (for example: IDLE HDD use less power/ different FAN also using vary voltage)
however there's limitation such as minimum & maximum voltage required, that's why almost all good PSU have passed 80 PLUS requirement.

but, idk if it's relevant to disconnecting issues.
as far as I know, if there's problem with Voltage usually computer goes restarting overtime or sudden crash, or more common it will freeze randomly (which is quite obvious it will disconnecting your computer from internet, but not internet it self).

to make it simple, both are different case, you might need to check his internet connection instead monitoring his 12v Rail.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no problem with the internet, and I'm asking about the 12v because he called evga and they said maybe a faulty psu, so I consulted my BFFs at the temp. Also, he SAID 12.4 but in hardware monitor it says it maxes at 12.04, so I'm thinking 12.04 instead of 12.4, which is like very slight, probably not significant. What else could it be?

RandomOddness

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's a long list of possibilities, outdated BIOS or chipset drivers is up there though, though there's nothing for certain, Corair PSU's are one of the best brands so I highly doubt it has anything to do with the PSU in your case, check that your friends motherboard has the latest drivers installed from their website and also explain more into what the problem with the monitor and USB's are and I'm sure someone will be able to narrow down a possible solution.

LockeCole_101629

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I also use corsair btw, HX520

yes, there's a lot possibility
looking at the specs, probably your friend using lot's of cooling device for his computer
while its not directly affecting whole system, but fluctuation might effecting some onboard device (Soundcard, LAN Card, etc), for some device it's not really critical, but for Network device, a single RTO means DC for the game.

it's been a while since I'm using LAN, you can test it by purchasing a cheap PCI Lan card, or WIFI USB/PCI (I'm using TP-LINK WN712n, USB probably the safest bet since fluctuation also affecting PCI Bus voltage)
if DC syndrom still exist, I believe it's the Internet.

Edit: I just realized Corsair provide 5years warranty, if your friend not sattisfied/in doubt he can also RMA it.

Lanlan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no internet problem. Why do you think there's an internet problem? The internet is not disconnecting. The internet is fine. It's the mouse, it's randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. It's the keyboard, it's randomly connecting and disconnecting. It's the monitor. It's randomly losing signal. It's not the internet. The internet is having no problems at all. The internet is fine. It's not disconnecting. Ever. I swear.
Also, I'll have him update everything. Oh and by the way, the internet is perfectly fine, hasn't disconnected at all ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...