2007 to be hottest year ever (no not that type)

Verocity

Ö!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Global warming + El Niño = scorcher
By Lester Haines ? More by this author
Published Thursday 4th January 2007 13:43 GMT
Free White Paper Download - Data Protection Tips for SMBs

Source

The UK's Meteorological Office predicts that 2007 will be the hottest on record, due to a combination of global warming and the El Niño weather phenomenon, Reuters reports.

This year will, the Met Office and prediction partner the University of East Anglia say, top the current record set in 1998. 2006, meanwhile, currently lies sixth in the all-time hottest years globally chart. All ten of the hottest years during the last 150 (when records began) have occured since 1994, the UN's weather agency adds.

Specifically, the upshot is that the world's average temperature in 2007 will be "0.54 degrees Celsius above the 1961-1990 long-term average of 14.0 degrees". 1998 clocked up 0.52 degrees above said average.

Met office scientist Katie Hopkins said: "This new information represents another warning that climate change is happening around the world."

The long-term prognosis is alarming. As Reuters puts it: "Most scientists agree that temperatures will rise by between two and six degrees Celsius this century due mainly to carbon emissions from burning fossil fuels for power and transport." ®

------

Global warming is going to kill us all, man doesn't listen and mother nature is going to kill us all. This is why the worlds going to be screwed up for my kids. We need to get rid of gas burning things all together, pretty much too late now, I guess in the 70's the gas wars werent enough.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Living on the west coast FTW! (not really alot of rain if El nino hits)

Yeah, global warming is a big problem. Too bad many people dont notice it. All were doing is screwing up the future for others. The sad thing is many people say "i dont care, ill be ok, let them figure it out:
frown.gif

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Mother necessity will come into play at some point.
Big science will have to figure out how to convert the gasses on a global scale...
.. without screwing anything up worse.

Remember, we made it to the moon, a fairly mind-bending concept if you ask me...

Once the fat cats start losing money/real estate... they'll be financing a solution.

(I'm talking out of my butt to a large extent here... but it could happen... yes? no?)

leetdude_007

Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The average global temperature is going up, and the consequences branch beyond our imaginations.

One large consequence we have begun to grasp currently is the issue with water... and there are so many things about it that it's going to make your head spin.

Water has to go somewhere! Currently there is a consensus that it is being distributed in a erratic way due to global warming (specifically, el nino). An example is the *recent* drought in the Sahara, like in man-made regions like Dar fur.

It has been predicted by many environmentalists that many battles will be fought over water, especially in regions that used to have sufficient supplies...

What's sad is that these battles have already started. Maybe I should start turning off my computer more often. I'm getting my energy from a coal powerplant.

Opium

PogoShell it to me ™
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
doom and gloom, end of the world!!

not quite. Yes the planet is getting hotter. But until the 70's the planet was in a cooling phase. Now it's in a heating phase. We haven't been around long enough to make accurate records of what will happen to the planet. The planet may just be going through a cycle.

shadowboy

:D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DOOMDOOMDOOM!!

Alien zombies from hell have kidnapped the president!
Are you a bad enough dude to save him?

Srsly though, this is bad, because of this the polar bears will be extinct in 20-30 years.

Azimuth

Chicken Teriyaki Boy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
there really isnt any concrete evidence for global warming, might just be a global climate trend.

but it is odd that there isnt any snow this winter

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The Earth is on a major heating spree since the last ice age, and it will only keep getting hotter. There have been several ice ages through history, and several global warmings.

As for the pollution thingy having any effect: next to the volcanoes emmiting carbon dioxide, sulphur oxide and ash into the atmosphere every year, all our industries only add 2-3% to the entire amount. Go figure. All the industry is doing is making the Earth smellier, not hotter.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
over here in England, we have not really even had a winter yet, and i cant remember that ever happening before. Like today, what should be on average for this time of year be about 2-3 degrees, its up at 11 degrees. And its been like this more or less through December and the first part of January. Where is the snow!!??

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely it is, since I was born there haven't ever been water restrictions where I live(basque country), it's usually a wet place, even in summer. But this year they said that it will be one of the dryest year ever, and they will ban people on watering their gardens, also they are banning cleaning the streets with machines that use water. I hope this ends soon but I like rainless winter
rolleyes.gif
the 31st of december 1st of january night was about 20 ºC which is cool, because other years I had to wear winter clothes for partying
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: We don't want to see that +1