3DS capture card maker Keity goes bankrupt

20160319_4efb74.jpg

Katsukeity (or Katsukity, depending on who you ask) was a well-known Japanese 3DS Capture Card maker. Supporting all models, as well as other systems (like the Wii U Gamepad and Switch), this means that soon it will be extremely difficult to obtain capture cards for systems other than the Old 3DS (which is supported by a seperate maker, Loopy). While you can no longer buy them directly, a European redistributor, Merki, still has stock, but it will not last forever.
Merki on Discord said:
Yes, this is true, He is bankrupt now. I do have some stock, I got last year stuff for around 100.000 € [~$114,000 USD] but this will last for some months.
I honestly do not plan to continue this business, it is too stressful
of course I will handle all my customers as usual - support and repair, but at a certain point I will stop selling them for good
(Transcribed from image)

So, if you want one from Keity you'll have to get one now, from Merki, as Keity's site (3dsvidocapture.com) is now dead.

Loopy might be creating capture cards for other systems now, but one thing's for sure - it'll be a while before we can get new capture cards again.

:arrow:Source (Japanese)
:arrow:English Source
:arrow:Merki's Site

Attachments

• 3DS image.jpg
    3DS image.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 1,265

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, n3ds had free screen recording if you had good internet, plus there is Citra. The prices for capture cards were out-fucking-rageous.
True but hardware is far superior to software/wifi.Plus the 3ds couldn't support 5ghz wifi so i really couldn't utilize a stable connection. I ended up just using Loopy's capture kit over my cfw n3ds xl for screen capturing

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
I've always wondered. Why were they so expensive? Are the parts pricey? Or is it mostly the labor that's taxing?

devkits are essentially the "gaming computer" variant of the console hardware, they are essentially manfactured "homebrew friendly" they still have a form of drm but it's not locked down as lets say a retail unit, they have more (overclocked) processing power, usually more RAM than a retail, for portables they can output over HDMI or via usb (when debugging), devkits are designed specially for programming and testing, so they will include alot of extra hardware for debugging and testing that isn't needed for a retail unit since those only play games and aren't used to develop them. the average person will not come across a devkit, they're usually expensive since only developers and businesses would purchase and use them.

devkits are the consoles only game developers use/see, like activision, EA, konami,

usually they tend look a bit unattractive compared to a retail (imagine a large case/box with extra ports and a bunch of panel leds/switches; you wouldn't think it would be a devkit if you didn't know before hand)

with ninty they're useless for the most part with out ninty dev software....which you need a license for....which you also have to pay for on top of the devkit, and is set up more like a subscription fee...but you can install CFW to them too via ntrboot (normally devkits have different bootloaders and OS, but with 3ds they all use the same bootloader, just different encryption keys and has a slightly different os)

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @AncientBoi, https://youtu.be/UlLG4NKrE1A?si=RcoQaZShtXQhcyHJ