3DS firmware 11.8.0-41 out, is actually stable and broke support for Luma3DS - fix now available

IMG_0093.JPG

The 3DS is reaching its twilight years, with major first party releases slowing down. Updates to the system software are also becoming more and more uncommon. However, Nintendo sent out an update tonight, once more boasting about its beloved stability updates. This time, the claims were actually true, and the new update broke support with Luma3DS. Smealum, a major force in the scene is currently telling users to avoid updating at all costs, as doing so while having Luma will result in a "Failed to apply FIRM patch" error. For now, its recommended to stay below the new 11.8.0-41 update if your console is hacked, at least until there's a fix.

If you have knowledge with compiling files, you can apply the fix, but for the entry level user, it's advised you wait.

• Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

:arrow: Source

:download: Fixed Luma version

:download: Fixed Rei-Six version (final update for the project)

:download: Fixed CakesFW version

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there must be more to do, or the guy that hacked this one did it a different, perhaps non-standard way. Placing the boot.firm file on the SD root does nothing. It still boots up directly to the error message "Failed to apply 1 Firm patch(es)

There was no .firm file on the root of this SD card to begin with either.

I'm sure there's something simple here I'm missing....again, at a major disadvantage trying to fix a system that someone else hacked
When you boot the 3DS while holding Select, what appears on the screen? What about Start?

Does booting 11.8 with an older external firm make it use the 11.7 and lower ticket sending method?
Regardless, this will eventually stop working once Nintendo enforces the collection of the encrypted ticket.

Also, the method you described would only be for eShop, where you're making legitimate purchases anyway.

Please correct me if i am wrong.
I am currently on 11.7 on my 3DS XL and are palnning to update to 11.8.

1/. Install Luma Updater and update Luma
2/. Boot boot.firm on 3ds sd card.
3/. Update 3ds Firmware

Is this correct please?

Thanks
This is correct.

Last edited by Lacius,

Spearoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you boot the 3DS while holding Select, what appears on the screen? What about Start?
Just to be clear I have a 2DS XL. I don't know if that makes any difference. Booting with Select+Power I get the Luma3DS v9.0 configuration Press A to select, Start to save screen....with 8 options that can be toggled...inlcuding "enable loading external FIRMs and modules." This was not toggled on to begin with, I tried toggling it on and it made no difference.

Is there some special way to reboot or power on after changing that setting or placing the firm file on the SD card?

Last edited by Spearoid,

Murlocking

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just to be clear I have a 2DS XL. I don't know if that makes any difference. Booting with Select+Power I get the Luma3DS v9.0 configuration Press A to select, Start to save screen....with 8 options that can be toggled...inlcuding "enable loading external FIRMs and modules." This was not toggled on to begin with, I tried toggling it on and it made no difference.

Is there some special way to reboot or power on after changing that setting or placing the firm file on the SD card?

9.1 is out

Spearoid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, from my previous posts, I'm not up to speed on all things DS-hacking. My last hacking-gaming project was the Wii many years ago...bought this DS pre-hacked. Not sure exactly how to move to 9.1

aarti

Killua Zoldyck
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
so I've dug a little deeper and discovered that my DS doesn't require the SD card for booting which makes me think the eBay seller used this approach
https://3ds.hacks.guide/finalizing-setup

I pulled the card out completely and the device still boots to the same firm(s) error message.
If you already have the newest boot.firm on the root of your sd card, try this step from 3ds.guide:
Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS
  1. Power off your device
  2. Launch GodMode9 by holding (Start) during boot
  3. If you are prompted to create an essential files backup, press (A) to do so, then press (A) to continue once it has completed
  4. If you are prompted to fix the RTC date&time, press (A) to do so, then set the date and time, then press (A) to continue
  5. Press (Home) to bring up the action menu
  6. Select “Scripts…”
  7. Select “GM9Megascript”
  8. Select “Scripts from Plailect’s Guide”
  9. Select “Setup Luma3DS to CTRNAND”
  10. When prompted, press (A) to proceed
  11. Press (A) to unlock SysNAND (lvl2) writing, then input the key combo given
  12. Press (A) to continue

Mizat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to try putting homebrew on 11.8 via 4.1 sub steel heard it works, let you guys know. I know this is the wrong area to post but only somewhat close problem I have found that is just currently happening

Last edited by Mizat,

Mizat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTRBootHax is a bootrom exploit, firmware updates can't patch that, only hardware revisions. I actually thought the N2DSXL would patch it.
I have the N2DS XL and a reulat 2ds. N2ds 11.7 still other 11.8. Is their a way for me to install Homebrew still? I head of a few exploits. I do not have a DS with homebrew so those options are gone. My wii does lol. However I heard 4.1 worked for 11.8 the steel sub. Now I cannot do any on my 11.7 because I cannot access anything without updating (unless im wrong) I was just getting back into GB and bought every pokemon game after emerald, and just wanted the event pokemon I missed. Is this still possible, I can't find anything as this is so knew and people already in the hacking scene had much more knowledge and already hacked systems, ect. Making this confusing for me lol. I took a week off work to learn RNG Reporter, PokeGen, PKHex and went to instal Homebrew last night realizing I couldnt :( of as far as what I found.

Any help or input or a push in the right direction would be very helpful, I pulled an all nighter trying to figure this out. If I need to order something I will as long as its not a 100$ cart.

Thanks, Matt

Knight of Time

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just wondering if this has broken any 3DSWare games? For some reason since the newest update, after I updated Luma, I got an error when I tried to load up Dr. Mario: Miracle Cure (Luma told me about a crash each time I tried to open up the game or the manual, after I purchased it in April).

So yeah, has anyone else had a game break because of this?

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
I have only used my 3DS a few times after the new update, but everything worked fine for me. Played maybe 30 minutes or so.

mpg26203

Trophies
XP
Country
Costa Rica
Umm what if i have SDless A9lh luma since 11.2.0?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It has survived every update since then with no need for modifications or cfw updates

Mizat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm what if i have SDless A9lh luma since 11.2.0?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It has survived every update since then with no need for modifications or cfw updates
I think your good, I have been researching so much, because of my situation. I need to be able to get CFW on a 11.7 not using eshop, or on 11.8. My luck is my CFW homebrew 2ds was stolen from my car litterally the day before the update and right when I took time off work to do a lot of pokemon creating ext. I don't know anyone in person with homebrew for basehax. Son't know any way that works, im furious.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: