• Replies 53,794
  • Likes 43

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can anyone link me a tutorial(not youtubevideo) on how to backup my complete n3ds and migrate to a bigger sd card ?

It is pretty simple to backup SD card you just need to format the new SD card correctly ,via FAT32 and copy the files over, 64GB and below use 32kb cluster and 128GB and above use 64kb cluster.

As for NAND backup you can check out the godmode9 creating a NAND backup section

https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage

Reactions: rantex92

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is pretty simple to backup SD card you just need to format the new SD card correctly ,via FAT32 and copy the files over, 64GB and below use 32kb cluster and 128GB and above use 64kb cluster.

As for NAND backup you can check out the godmode9 creating a NAND backup section

https://3ds.hacks.guide/godmode9-usage
thank u

Reactions: Hayato213

kaliflower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got my New 2DS all transferred and updated and everything is working perfectly, BUT my Acekard 2i does not seem to work no matter what I do and I think it froze my console attempting to get it to recognize in my card slot.

Did Nintendo update the actual hardware to not let the Acekard 2i to work anymore? Mine is pretty dated it's got the hello kitty icon and worked fine on my OG 3DS before transferring earlier today.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I got my New 2DS all transferred and updated and everything is working perfectly, BUT my Acekard 2i does not seem to work no matter what I do and I think it froze my console attempting to get it to recognize in my card slot.

Did Nintendo update the actual hardware to not let the Acekard 2i to work anymore? Mine is pretty dated it's got the hello kitty icon and worked fine on my OG 3DS before transferring earlier today.
Did you install CFW on your New 2DS already? Because it is highly likely that it will only work with CFW units.

kaliflower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you install CFW on your New 2DS already? Because it is highly likely that it will only work with CFW units.
Yep, if I can't get it to work I guess I could install TwilightMenu++
It was always wonky to get my OG 3DS to detect the card itself, but I can't get it to at all on this 2DS XL.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
hey guys could you guys give me some clarification ?

i recently wanted to play my "aplha saphire" cartridge
after a while of playing the game crashes and gives me "generic error id 19 and 20"
then as a sanity check i tried many of my games some cartridges some cia backups
and the result was without errors

then i remembered "alpha saphire" is one of those bad cartridges wich goes dead very quickly
i searched a bit the internet and got told to do a dump via godmode so i did that

after the dump of the cartridge i tried the dumped version and got those same errors again
so my question now : Is my "alpha saphire" dead? i guess so but maybe some one has another idea

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
after the dump of the cartridge i tried the dumped version and got those same errors again
so my question now : Is my "alpha saphire" dead? i guess so but maybe some one has another idea
Thank you for searching before asking your question.

You can try comparing the checksum of your cartridge dump to the checksum of a known, working dump. I know http://3dsdb.com/ has some "imgcrc" values, but I'm not sure exactly how they are calculated.

Reactions: rantex92

CodeWitcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
What's up people.
I've been researching on how to recover a pokemon X I have from a few years ago. I had made a complete SD card backup, now when I put all those files into a new sd card and install pokemon X from the eShop (the one I had bought and the one the save belonged to) the console says the format is not correct and the game won't run. I tried with a cia rom and the rom starts from scratch ignoring my save.
I read about keysav but that requires the game to run, and I can only run a version from scratch not the one with my save... not sure I'm explaining this correctly, it's too many things and I'm really overwhelmed by having used to many hours for this lol I can't get out of it.
I would only like to recover the pokemon, it's ok if the game doesn't run, I'll be playing Y from scratch now, and my daughter will play X and we'll play together for the first time!

Now she is playing pokemon X (the one that runs and started from scratched install via FBI) and I'm tempted to go inject my 0000001.sav file in there but I'm afraid I'll spoil her progress and mine just won't load. I've installed and reinstalled stuff so many times, I even broke an SD card in the process because I removed it without turning off the console haha...

I definitely need help...
Thanks for your help.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What's up people.
I've been researching on how to recover a pokemon X I have from a few years ago. I had made a complete SD card backup, now when I put all those files into a new sd card and install pokemon X from the eShop (the one I had bought and the one the save belonged to) the console says the format is not correct and the game won't run. I tried with a cia rom and the rom starts from scratch ignoring my save.
I read about keysav but that requires the game to run, and I can only run a version from scratch not the one with my save... not sure I'm explaining this correctly, it's too many things and I'm really overwhelmed by having used to many hours for this lol I can't get out of it.
I would only like to recover the pokemon, it's ok if the game doesn't run, I'll be playing Y from scratch now, and my daughter will play X and we'll play together for the first time!

Now she is playing pokemon X (the one that runs and started from scratched install via FBI) and I'm tempted to go inject my 0000001.sav file in there but I'm afraid I'll spoil her progress and mine just won't load. I've installed and reinstalled stuff so many times, I even broke an SD card in the process because I removed it without turning off the console haha...

I definitely need help...
Thanks for your help.
You should backup saves in decrypted form with JKSM and/or Checkpoint. Store the backups on your computer as well. Easy restore. Easy usage in Citra.
Backup your daughter's save with the save manager(s) regularly. Don't make her sad because of errors, a dying SD or whatever can happen.

As for the encrypted backup you have:
  • Overwriting the 00000001.sav file manually (or restoring a previous full backup of SD:/Nintendo 3DS) will trigger this anti-feature. Secure value for the game must be deleted in FBI after copying the save but before starting the game (the game will erase the progress or complain because secure value doesn't match)
  • You must not have used "Format System Memory" since creating this backup. Else the encryption key has changed
  • If you have the correct KeyY the save can still be decrypted and extracted (setting up 3ds-save-tool is a bit tricky) for usage with Checkpoint or JKSM.

Reactions: Alexander1970

CodeWitcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi KleinesSinchen, thanks for saving me time, I won't copy the file manually. I did format it, thinking that could be a solution.
Just to confirm, is there anything I can do or should I just erase that backup? I don't think I have a key of any sort.
And what's 3ds-save-tool, should I install that?
I don't understand this: "Secure value for the game must be deleted in FBI after copying the save", what's a secure value? how do I delete it?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did format it, thinking that could be a solution.
Well, that's a problem.

I don't think I have a key of any sort.
You'd better make sure about that before you do anything else. If you have a NAND backup from before you formatted the system, or if you still have the movable.sed from when you originally hacked the system, then you can still manually decrypt the save data.

If you can't manually decrypt the save data, then you will need to recover the encryption key. This is possible using the CTRTransfer Type D9 script. (This works in this specific situation since a System Format changes the encryption key, but only very slightly.) In this case, once the encryption key is recovered, all you need to do to get the save data working properly again is to export the save data with Checkpoint and then immediately import the save data again. This will clear the "secure value" in the save data.

And what's 3ds-save-tool, should I install that?
That is only useful when recovering manually-decrypted save data. As above, you cannot manually decrypt anything without the decryption key.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: CodeWitcher

CodeWitcher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If you have a NAND backup from before you formatted the system, or if you still have the movable.sed from when you originally hacked the system, then you can still manually decrypt the save data.
I may have that, I must have accepted to make a backup automatically when I hacked it with that magnet thing. Should that be on the SD card somewhere?

Just curious, what are these guys' background, the ones that do all this hacking? I'm a programmer, but I do web programming, some server and database, very high level stuff. How did these guys and yourself acquired all this knowledge?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I may have that, I must have accepted to make a backup automatically when I hacked it with that magnet thing. Should that be on the SD card somewhere?
Well, if you used the "magnet thing", then you would not have a separate movable.sed. You might have a NAND backup (it will be many hundreds of megabytes in size; it's not easy to miss) or you might have essential.exefs , from which you can extract movable.sed.

How did these guys and yourself acquired all this knowledge?
Me? I just hang around and accumulate forgotten lore. I don't program much at all.

Reactions: CodeWitcher

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for searching before asking your question.

You can try comparing the checksum of your cartridge dump to the checksum of a known, working dump. I know http://3dsdb.com/ has some "imgcrc" values, but I'm not sure exactly how they are calculated.
thank you it turns out the game is dying (tried to dumped it several times now and everytime the crc checksum is changing + the size of the cia is always off bout 200-600kbs)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: