• Start date
  • Views 4,506,094
  • Replies 53,793
  • Likes 43

sbm888

Trophies
XP
Country
quick question - thinking of buying Monster Hunter 4U, but wanted to try it out first... so if i play on GW and decide on I want to buy the game, can my save games be used on the retail cartridge? or do i have to start again?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick question - thinking of buying Monster Hunter 4U, but wanted to try it out first... so if i play on GW and decide on I want to buy the game, can my save games be used on the retail cartridge? or do i have to start again?
Quick answer: start again.
Best answer: Why the F would you do that? Buy it, dump it and play the .3dz you create and use the old save file. You will have a private header.

joeh1974

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a N3DS on Friday to replace my old one. Was originally using a Gateway card, but decided to pick up a SKY3DS while I wait for GW support. I understand loading the games with the .txt file supplied by SKY, but a few questions:

- Can I play my privately dumped roms (either in .3ds or .3dz format)? I read that the .txt file provided by SKY will overwrite my private headers.
- Can I play downloaded roms which have been injected with my private header? (EG, play a Smash Bros. rom with a private Mario Kart 7 header injected into it)?
- Do I have to have scene releases of roms to use SKY?

Thanks!

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Picked up a N3DS on Friday to replace my old one. Was originally using a Gateway card, but decided to pick up a SKY3DS while I wait for GW support. I understand loading the games with the .txt file supplied by SKY, but a few questions:

- Can I play my privately dumped roms (either in .3ds or .3dz format)? I read that the .txt file provided by SKY will overwrite my private headers.
- Can I play downloaded roms which have been injected with my private header? (EG, play a Smash Bros. rom with a private Mario Kart 7 header injected into it)?
- Do I have to have scene releases of roms to use SKY?

Thanks!
1. Yes. No need for 3dz with sky. I beleive the template can be edited. You will need to search for the thread.
2. Yes
3. No.

You are welcome!

Reactions: joeh1974

joeh1974

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Yes. No need for 3dz with sky. I beleive the template can be edited. You will need to search for the thread.
2. Yes
3. No.

You are welcome!

On #2, do I still need to edit the template? Can I leave the rom "as-is", or will the template overwrite my private header with the public one?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On #2, do I still need to edit the template? Can I leave the rom "as-is", or will the template overwrite my private header with the public one?
The template overrides any header in the rom. So yes, you need to edit the template for a private header.

Regarding point number to, does this apply to Sky3DS too?
See above. Yes. Scene dumps do not have headers.

I do not have a sky but this is what I heave read in sky posts. This is serious stuff so make sure you do your research and know exactly what you are doing. No one is sure exactly how N is banning people so there will always be some risk.

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I was wondering... since a rom header is unique, couldn't I simply randomly generate one and use it as a private header? It maybe sound really stupid, feel free to make me feel stupid(er) :D

Tony8690

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering... since a rom header is unique, couldn't I simply randomly generate one and use it as a private header? It maybe sound really stupid, feel free to make me feel stupid(er) :D

if you could generate one yourself (other than typing in random Hex lol) then how would you know if its not being used??

T

Reactions: 4ur0r

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
if you could generate one yourself (other than typing in random Hex lol) then how would you know if its not being used??

T

Well I would take the risk to generate an header that somone else is using, but how many chances to do that are there? Also, are there any guides that explain how to edit header without No Ban No Sky?

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whenever i try and install any of the SDK DEVKIT .CIAs, it always comes up with "CIA is invalid" and fails at 93%
any help?
Just replied to your post about mSD cards so some of that may apply. So what are you using for a card? Have you tried BBM? what type of cia are you gphaving trouble with? Games, updates, home brew?

The first thing I look to with these kinds of problems is a file system error. Back it all up and reformat the card, inject emunand and then copy it all back in one transfer so everything is written sequentially.

I won't pretend to know anything about the structure of a header but it is encoded somehow and to the game as well. It is best to use a smash header for a smash rom, no mismatch. Sounds impractical to do but if you can loosen your ethics very possible to do especially if you do not have a lot of games to play online.

Buy the cartridge, dump it, use that rom.
Malfunction the cartridge. I would imagine 120/220 volts would fry it, maybe even 12 volts. Your header is now very private. A strong electo- magnet would likely do it as well.
Return the cart to store and exchange for brand new sealed cart.
Sell new sealed cart for minimal loss.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Just replied to your post about mSD cards so some of that may apply. So what are you using for a card? Have you tried BBM? what type of cia are you gphaving trouble with? Games, updates, home brew?

The first thing I look to with these kinds of problems is a file system error. Back it all up and reformat the card, inject emunand and then copy it all back in one transfer so everything is written sequentially.
i tried installing devmenu and savedata filer and both failed
i tried savedata filer on the lexar that comes with the XL, same thing
games and BBB work fine in CIA format

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i tried installing devmenu and savedata filer and both failed
i tried savedata filer on the lexar that comes with the XL, same thing
games and BBB work fine in CIA format
If you have BBM you do not den dev menu, same thing.

Sounds like you have bad copies of the cia you are trying to install. Obtain from a different source.

Let me know how that works.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I meant that I wanted to see if Devmenu would work or not, so I could confirm whether all other Devtool .CIAs had the same issue.
All .CIAs in the Devkit pack do not work.
Ok. But BBM does work and was obtained by a different source (at least it was for me)
I assume you are using BBM to install the tools.

For me if I have more than one cia in the root of my Sd card BBM will not allow me to navigate with the d pad. Not is not supposed to be a problem but is for me. Try removing BBM and installing dev menu first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/z9E_uv5IT-o?si=0qMdVEnRK8mmclzS