• Views 4,505,936
  • Replies 53,793
  • Likes 43

PPlays

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old 2ds on 11.4 I believe. I've been trying to follow other sites to see if there was any way to get into it via softmod to play 3ds games, but what I've read you either need a flashcart or another 3ds running some kind of program. Has any progress been made with this?

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have an old 2ds on 11.4 I believe. I've been trying to follow other sites to see if there was any way to get into it via softmod to play 3ds games, but what I've read you either need a flashcart or another 3ds running some kind of program. Has any progress been made with this?
No, and there more than likely won't be until the EOL (End of Life) of the console. The three methods available now work on all models/firmwares albeit they all require a purchase or another console already running hacks. Since these exploits cannot be patched through a software update, other exploits aren't exactly necessary.

In gist, no one is worried about finding new exploits since the one's we have work on all firms/models; they just aren't free. A $20 flashcard is half the price of a 3DS game, so I tell people if you can afford one you can afford the other. :P

Reactions: Quantumcat

melske

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi people, I tried to restore my R4i RTS 3DS revolution for DS, but it still doesn't work. I first tried with the HW A7, but LUMA couldn't find the restore file. So I tried the HW A7 and then it did, so i restored it. But my 3DS still can't find the card. I can't open it. It's neccesary for me, because I'm trying to ntrboot a new 3DS XL.

AwesomeSaucemGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there any disadvantage with having a .cia rather than a legit game from the freeshop? I would like to play the new Mario & Luigi game but someone still has to upload it onto the freeshop and I can't wait any longer lol. So I was wondering if getting the .cia of the game would have a disadvantage from the game on the freeshop. So should I get the .cia file?

Uumas

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Is there any disadvantage with having a .cia rather than a legit game from the freeshop? I would like to play the new Mario & Luigi game but someone still has to upload it onto the freeshop and I can't wait any longer lol. So I was wondering if getting the .cia of the game would have a disadvantage from the game on the freeshop. So should I get the .cia file?
It doesn't matter. Both achieve the exact same result

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's the exact same thing either way my friend.

EDIT: :ph34r:

Reactions: AwesomeSaucemGuy

sharf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really hope this is the right place to ask this. My friend pointed me here before I go doing anything. I just recently got a new 3ds xl (the special edition samus one).

I have no desire to change out the firmware (which is what most everything I've been reading around here is about). All I want to do is to be able to play GBA/SNES (and maybe DS, probably not) ROMs. I was looking into a DSTWO+ for that, but now I'm not sure if I can do that without installing custom firmware.

Can someone set me straight?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really hope this is the right place to ask this. My friend pointed me here before I go doing anything. I just recently got a new 3ds xl (the special edition samus one).

I have no desire to change out the firmware (which is what most everything I've been reading around here is about). All I want to do is to be able to play GBA/SNES (and maybe DS, probably not) ROMs. I was looking into a DSTWO+ for that, but now I'm not sure if I can do that without installing custom firmware.

Can someone set me straight?
custom firmware is the best and cheapest way to go about this. 3DS flashcards are a bad idea nowadays and nobody is going to recommend one.

your bundle likely comes with 11.4. so your best option would be ntrboot via a DS flashcart (which you can then use for DS games).

sharf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
custom firmware is the best and cheapest way to go about this. 3DS flashcards are a bad idea nowadays and nobody is going to recommend one.

your bundle likely comes with 11.4. so your best option would be ntrboot via a DS flashcart (which you can then use for DS games).

Why are they a bad idea?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression I couldn't buy games from the eshop and use the built-in friends list etc. with custom firmware? I have a large SD card, and plan on purchasing 3ds games digitally, so I want that to remain intact. I just want to be able to play the GBA/SNES games not available through the eshop. If I lose out on the other functionality for the sake of GBA/SNES I'll just stick to playing them on PC.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are they a bad idea?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression I couldn't buy games from the eshop and use the built-in friends list etc. with custom firmware? I have a large SD card, and plan on purchasing 3ds games digitally, so I want that to remain intact. I just want to be able to play the GBA/SNES games not available through the eshop. If I lose out on the other functionality for the sake of GBA/SNES I'll just stick to playing them on PC.
they're bad because they are more expensive and give you a worse experience. they also still require you use some sort of custom firmware, so you might as well go the cheaper route.

you don't lose anything doing it.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Why are they a bad idea?

If all you want is GBA/SNES you can buy a DSTwo if you want to. But CFW is totally safe and you can use your 3DS identically to how you can without it. As above, you lose absolutely nothing. There's a reason that no one on these boards avoids having it, because there are no downsides to balance with the upsides. It is just all upsides.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If all you want is GBA/SNES you can buy a DSTwo if you want to. But CFW is totally safe and you can use your 3DS identically to how you can without it. As above, you lose absolutely nothing. There's a reason that no one on these boards avoids having it, because there are no downsides to balance with the upsides. It is just all upsides.
I probably still wouldn't suggest a DSTWO because it's more expensive and you could play these games better using 3DS-mode emulators (at least GBA). an ntrboot-compatible card is cheaper and enables you to get custom firmware.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I probably still wouldn't suggest a DSTWO because it's more expensive and you could play these games better using 3DS-mode emulators (at least GBA). an ntrboot-compatible card is cheaper and enables you to get custom firmware.
I mean if he really doesn't want CFW and just wants to play GBA and SNES

sharf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 11.6.0-39U

I see the guide to installing ntrboot on 3ds.guide, I can follow those instructions easily enough.

I have various questions about cfw and the ROMs etc. If there is an existing guide or FAQ for my questions please link me, I haven't found the answers online yet, or maybe I don't recognize them.

If I put ntrboot (does that include luma3ds?, not sure how everything is related), when all the setup is done will it look and function just as it does now?
I assume then, as Nintendo updates firmware which you'll need to match to access the store, I'll need to update the cfw as well?
And how would GBA/SNES roms work? Would they reside on the SD card inside my 3ds, or on the flashcart? Would they be accessed via the home screen, or from a separate launcher? Can I use my existing ROMs that I've used on my PC for snes9x and virtual boy advance or would I need different ones that are designed for the 3ds?

My friend has a stock 3ds and dslite that he uses an r4 in and runs the "game" that the ds detects the r4 as, and that has separate firmware for all the ROMs.

I'll never understand why people would pay more to avoid going the custom firmware route, which has no downsides at all like you said. there's downsides going this way. but, sure?

I don't mind spending the extra money if it means I don't have to deal with changing the firmware (that's more time and effort than I would like to spend on something I can do in 30 seconds on my computer). What downsides does the dstwo have besides price?

Last edited by sharf,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I put ntrboot (does that include luma3ds?, not sure how everything is related), when all the setup is done will it look and function just as it does now?
yes. you can do anything a stock system can do. you lose nothing with custom firmware.
I assume then, as Nintendo updates firmware which you'll need to match to access the store, I'll need to update the cfw as well?
sometimes yes. it's a simple process, you can use luma updater or replace a file on the SD card.
And how would GBA/SNES roms work? Would they reside on the SD card inside my 3ds, or on the flashcart? Would they be accessed via the home screen, or from a separate launcher? Can I use my existing ROMs that I've used on my PC for snes9x and virtual boy advance or would I need different ones that are designed for the 3ds?
depends. you can use full emulators (allow choosing roms from the SD card, and you might be able to re-use existing saves with them. some like RetroArch and "Snes9x" work like this) or VC injects (use Nintendo's Virtual Console emulators with custom roms, adding an icon per one at the HOME Menu. not always perfect [in particular with SNES] but works).

GBA is a special case. 3DS has a special GBA mode meant for ambassador games but you can use it with any roms you like. it's not an "emulator" (cpu is done in hardware I think), so you don't have certain features like save states or using HOME Menu, but there should be no compatibility issues.

you can of course, use an emulator for it. on New 3DS, mGBA is probably the best one. it doesn't always run at perfect speed but it depends mostly on game.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I have 11.6.0-39U

I see the guide to installing ntrboot on 3ds.guide, I can follow those instructions easily enough.

I have various questions about cfw and the ROMs etc. If there is an existing guide or FAQ for my questions please link me, I haven't found the answers online yet, or maybe I don't recognize them.

If I put ntrboot (does that include luma3ds?, not sure how everything is related), when all the setup is done will it look and function just as it does now? Ntrboot is something flashed to a DS flashcart that allows software requiring arm9 access to work. This includes SafeB9SInstaller which means you can install b9s using it. When you have Luma everything will be the same as before only you'll have access to a lot more stuff
I assume then, as Nintendo updates firmware which you'll need to match to access the store, I'll need to update the cfw as well? I don't know what you mean by access to the store but you'll always be able to update your firmware. If Nintendo pulls some sort of trick that stops the current version of Luma working properly you may need to update Luma, but that's all
And how would GBA/SNES roms work? Would they reside on the SD card inside my 3ds, or on the flashcart? Would they be accessed via the home screen, or from a separate launcher? You will install them like other 3DS games and you'll open them from the home menu Can I use my existing ROMs that I've used on my PC for snes9x and virtual boy advance or would I need different ones that are designed for the 3ds? Different ones, they'll be injected into cia files so you can install them. You can inject them yourself out find versions already injected

My friend has a stock 3ds and dslite that he uses an r4 in and runs the "game" that the ds detects the r4 as, and that has separate firmware for all the ROMs.
For playing DS games on the 3DS it will be the same

I don't mind spending the extra money if it means I don't have to deal with changing the firmware what do you mean "changing the firmware"??? (that's more time and effort than I would like to spend on something I can do in 30 seconds on my computer). What downsides does the dstwo have besides price? Drains your battery when inserted even if not being used

sharf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm understanding the difference between everything now.

I don't know what you mean by access to the store but you'll always be able to update your firmware. If Nintendo pulls some sort of trick that stops the current version of Luma working properly you may need to update Luma, but that's all: I mean, will I be able to open up the eshop and buy a new game just like I do now? Because as it stands, I can't access the store without updating the 3ds to the latest version (which I had to do when I bought the thing). So my concern is that putting cfw on it will mess up my ability to purchase and download 3ds games via the eshop. I'm not after free games, I just want to be able to play the games that I do own, but can't otherwise play on my 3ds (GBA and SNES games that aren't in the eshop).

what do you mean "changing the firmware"???: Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, I mean putting Luma on. Does Luma overwrite the software version of the 3ds, or does it run along side it? i.e. will I still be running 11.6.0-39U and then when Nintendo releases an update, I just download that normally with Luma running along side of it?

Drains your battery when inserted even if not being used: I mean I can always just take it out when I'm not using it...If the only downsides are battery drain and $40, I'm still not convinced I should spend my time with cfw.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
I think I'm understanding the difference between everything now.

I don't know what you mean by access to the store but you'll always be able to update your firmware. If Nintendo pulls some sort of trick that stops the current version of Luma working properly you may need to update Luma, but that's all: I mean, will I be able to open up the eshop and buy a new game just like I do now? Because as it stands, I can't access the store without updating the 3ds to the latest version (which I had to do when I bought the thing). So my concern is that putting cfw on it will mess up my ability to purchase and download 3ds games via the eshop. I'm not after free games, I just want to be able to play the games that I do own, but can't otherwise play on my 3ds (GBA and SNES games that aren't in the eshop). You can use your 3DS identically to how you can without CFW. You can buy games if you want to.

what do you mean "changing the firmware"???: Unless I'm misunderstanding how this works, I mean putting Luma on. Does Luma overwrite the software version of the 3ds, or does it run along side it? i.e. will I still be running 11.6.0-39U and then when Nintendo releases an update, I just download that normally with Luma running along side of it? It runs alongside it. The console is still the same as it is before, only it is able to do more stuff.

Drains your battery when inserted even if not being used: I mean I can always just take it out when I'm not using it...If the only downsides are battery drain and $40, I'm still not convinced I should spend my time with cfw.Why would you want to spend money and have battery drain and be not able to do hardly anything with your console? There is a huge world you will be missing out on. If someone offered you free plane tickets to go wherever you wanted to, would you choose to spend money just travelling by bus?

Last edited by Quantumcat,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Analog stick nipples
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea i have couple other sites I find Switch titles also and just looked, I don't see it out/leaked yet...(paper mario)
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Or even worse; circle pad ball fondlers like on the 3DS
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all...