3DS sets all-time sales record in Japan

Kiaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3DS sales went up during December most-likely because of Christmas. Oh, and for the picture, I think it would've looked better if the money is seen coming out of the 3DS like this:
it-prints-money-3ds-011.jpg

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't understand why Pokemon is so popular. Started as a cartoon for 6-8 year olds and now has spread to adults. Christ dueling? Fo' real?
you're too young and know nothing about pokemon or gaming in the late ninteties
1. Pokemon started as a videogame
2. We (adults) were young one time

Lololol poor Guild...he's been branded as a Nintendo hater.
nah, Guild isn't a nintendo hater. He just practically hates everything on earth ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Preeecisely. I could hug Guild right now if only he wasn't a communist. :creep:

Hey, better red than dead.
Oh, shush you Red Menace!

Honestly though, what I'm seeing is market pollution, meaning there's more systems which generally could help used prices go down. I wouldn't mind nabbing a system (mainly as an upgraded DS, my current DS is a shitty Phat one) if it was around the $100 used mark. There's like maybe one or two games for it I'd buy (Tetris Axis and maybe Resident Evil Revelations if only it didn't use that pants-on-head retarded attachment, and yeah it could go without it but I can't stand stylus aiming).
...Let's start with the fact that consoles and games are generally sold for much more then they're actually worth. I still think that what Nintendo did with the 3DS price is horrible - it's not like they "lost" any money giving away old games that were easily ported with an all-around emulator of sorts in an attempt to "pay them back", made tons of cash on early adopters of the console that had to go through a period of buggyness and cut-down features and they're not particularily ashamed of that.

I could say the same thing about Sony's policy of selling games in boxes and games as digital downloads for *the same price*, like, what the hell? Where's the money from distribution across the world which doesn't bother you in digital downloads, where's the money saved by not pressing the discs, the boxes money, the instruction booklets... Same goes to you, Microsoft! Those games should sell for at least 5-10 pounds less then their boxed equivalents.

There's alot of "bad" going on, but truth to be told, we kinda "allow it to happen" by "buying anyways", and comparing today's situation to the situation from, say, 15 years ago, when if a console sold more then 30 mil units it was a success, then it seems that we're more "suckers" then we like to admit.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't understand why Pokemon is so popular. Started as a cartoon for 6-8 year olds and now has spread to adults. Christ dueling? Fo' real?

Pokemon is popular because there are dozens beyond dozens of people who don't appreciate originality and innovation. They're happy playing the same game under increasingly pretty skins.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokemon is popular because there are dozens beyond dozens of people who don't appreciate originality and innovation. They're happy playing the same gameunder increasingly pretty skins.
just like call of duty, battlefield and pretty much every other fps

Reactions: 1 person

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Pokemon is popular because there are dozens beyond dozens of people who don't appreciate originality and innovation. They're happy playing the same gameunder increasingly pretty skins.
just like call of duty, battlefield and pretty much every other fps

And funnily enough I play neither of those games.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
"pretty much every other fps"? I wouldn't say that... what about Half Life?
pretty much
pretty much
pretty much

Anyways, for the record I never said I believed Guild was one, just that he might have been branded as one by noobs...But it seems I may have over analyzed mjax's post.

Anyways again, I'm glad to see the 3DS thrive and hope many awesome games come out, mainly not shovelware ones.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I like how people glorify RPG's, puzzle games, RTS'es and whatnot while dissing FPS'es. What's the difference? At the end of the day, your hobby's playing video games.

Besides, there's quite alot of FPS'es that actually convey an interesting story and are genuinely fun to play.

Games may be badly programmed or exceptionally well-programmed, they can have a fun concept behind them or a lame concept behind them, but what's acually important is that they have either pleasant fan bases or completely horrible and should-be-shot-on-sight fan bases.

Reactions: 3 people

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the world population has increased by about 25% since 1997, one could assume that the population of Japan (or whatever country) has increased roughly 25% (with some associated MoE). It's not only that the product was good, it's that there is a lot more fucking people now then it was 14 years ago.

Actually, Japan's population has been mostly stagnant, and many consider it to be poised for a decline.

See, this is the kind of a reaction that's so typical to this kind of threads. Nothing offensive was said, yet all of a sudden we have an uproar.
*Rabble Rabble Rabble*

As for the numbers, it's pretty impressive. The 3DS has definitely come far; the fact that it was the Holiday season and that games have begun to come out for it have probably helped a lot. I still think the Vita is the better system with a stronger launch line up and string of releases ahead (even if the sales don't reflect that now), but I'll give Nintendo credit for managing to get the system back on the rails.

Now to see where it all goes from here...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're talking to nintendo fanboys, don't expect them to understand what you just said.
Get that _ out of here. You just a outright hater and you know it. Didn't try hanging on to them to make people think you aren't. Didn't come in here thinking you even in the same ocean with these guys.

While I think Guild isn't in the same boat as Foxi4 and I still think he either borderline hater (Not just of one or 2 comments, but pretty much his comments overall on everything.) or either/and a fanboy(not using it in a insulting way), he at least respectable and is at least on the raft of the same boat if not hanging by the anchor of it.

Oh and person you quoted in the sig wasn't even serious.

Sorry, I just had to comment on this.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I had a PSP for 9 months, and I can say for sure: I knew the other side of gaming.

Nintendo on their portables had games under the quality of "portables" videogames, in a way, limited, while sony had in their portables, the quality of "console" video games.

I used to be a fanboy hehe, just because I hadn't a single Sony handheld in my hands, and it's shocking the quality of some games.

Now I`m happy with my 3DS, but I also like Sony consoles now. At least, temper, if you're gonna say "x is bad because of y", make sure you love or appreciate algebra as a whole =P

basf11214

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Considering the world population has increased by about 25% since 1997, one could assume that the population of Japan (or whatever country) has increased roughly 25% (with some associated MoE). It's not only that the product was good, it's that there is a lot more fucking people now then it was 14 years ago.

You might have noticed that most of that growth occurs in countries where the people cannot really afford the games and gadgets. So those number cannot be merely the result of population growth.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I had a PSP for 9 months, and I can say for sure: I knew the other side of gaming.

Nintendo on their portables had games under the quality of "portables" videogames, in a way, limited, while sony had in their portables, the quality of "console" video games.

I used to be a fanboy hehe, just because I hadn't a single Sony handheld in my hands, and it's shocking the quality of some games.

Now I`m happy with my 3DS, but I also like Sony consoles now. At least, temper, if you're gonna say "x is bad because of y", make sure you love or appreciate algebra as a whole =P
Same here, a few years ago I was a big Nintendo fanboy and mocked the PSP with it much weaker sales and expensive equipment, but I've got a PSP now thanks to a member of GBAtemp, and boy it sure rocks. The fluently and customer friendly way of just about anything blew me out of the water, the easiness with which it emulated GBA titles (IMPOSSIBLE on the DS without expansion packs) and SNES titles was a real relief compared to the DS. Just amazing, what a powerhouse.
I'm looking forward to the PSV, honestly, more than the 3DS now.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I just feel sad that i bought into the hype surrounding the 3DS and got one at launch....i've barely touched the thing and given that it's now priced at half of what i initially paid, i'm overall a pretty unsatisfied customer. Chuck in the localisation problems (No Devil Survivor Overclocked for us in the EU), the supply problems (Tales of the Abyss, Cave Story 3D both impossible to get) and it's still barely worth considering as a capable sole handheld gaming device which is pitiful after a year.

Say what you want about other competing consoles, but until they shaft their early adopters as badly as Nintendo did with the 3DS and it's pricing changes, and the limp lineup that still graces the console, i'll still be in the camp saying that the 3DS is mostly awful.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

It's sad when the "two sides of gaming" are basically "Nintendo" and "everything else", even though "everything else" is a lot fucking bigger.

Keep the bitching for you, mr magazine staff (god bless the other staffers not being like this one, anyway). I was trying to help.

Anyway, don't forget there are different tastes when we talk about The Mighty Video Game Industry, and mainly there is Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo.

Same here, a few years ago I was a big Nintendo fanboy and mocked the PSP with it much weaker sales and expensive equipment, but I've got a PSP now thanks to a member of GBAtemp, and boy it sure rocks. The fluently and customer friendly way of just about anything blew me out of the water, the easiness with which it emulated GBA titles (IMPOSSIBLE on the DS without expansion packs) and SNES titles was a real relief compared to the DS. Just amazing, what a powerhouse.
I'm looking forward to the PSV, honestly, more than the 3DS now.

Yes, also some exclusive titles (back in those days) like Metal Gear Solid Portable, tekken, etc leaving you a feel you have a real home console in your hands... I think I'll get the Vita when the times come

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"pretty much every other fps"? I wouldn't say that... what about Half Life?

Its still an FPS. That means it is a cancer of gaming along with online multiplayer.

14494_half-life_2_deathmatch.png

Okay, we're fucked.

Keep the bitching for you, mr magazine staff (god bless the other staffers not being like this one, anyway). I was trying to help.

I wasn't "bitching" at you, it was simply an observation that in fact many people draw.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/ykuU8hnotr0?si=HzEN_fL2UyOn35HQ +1