ROM Hack 3ds Theme tooling - kame-tools (C++)

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
deutschdeduktionspiel.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I haven't been here in ages.

Anyways, I spent the better part of Easter writing a cli tool in C++ for making themes, because I found there were no good native tools on Linux for this. I know you can sort of wing it with Wine, but I don't feel like users should have to install Wine just for something like this.

https://gitlab.com/beelzy/kame-tools

This tool is essentially a fork of bannertools. Since you can specify a lot of options, you can do it through a configuration file instead, which just tells the program where to find the files and what colors to use and so on.
This tool supports including sound effects. I haven't tested it with cwavs, but it should work with bcwavs. Unfortunately, while bannertools does try to do cwav conversion, it doesn't work so well for 3DS theming, so it sounds horrible. You'll have to instead use a fork of Audacity for now to create the appropriate files. But it's still Wine-free, so I'm not in a rush to implement a bcwav/cwav converter just yet.

I am still in the process of looking into the brstm/bcstm conversion; there wasn't enough time during Easter for that, which I kind of expected.

I'll probably write a GUI for this in Qt or something later, but for now, at least I can say it's possible to build 3DS themes on Linux without Wine, and with sound effects.

Feel free to file issues, offer suggestions or ask for help with this tool. Admittedly, I haven't touched C++ in ages.

Tychon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
deutschdeduktionspiel.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
I think kame-tools is now feature complete unless I am missing something.

It now properly includes both top screen textures if you choose the color texture option, and it will rotate the image for you automatically so you don't have to do it. The gradient and opacity options are now also correct.

The rstmcpp fork now also does bcwav, and you'll maybe see those changes in looping audio converter too sometime. But I still recommend that Audacity fork since you'll probably need it for audio editing and so on.

I am still working on a frontend in Qt5 for all this. That will take more time though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: