Hacking 6.2.0 Key Generation could (POSSIBLY) be UNCRACKABLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cant someone 6.2 -> Eshop -> Buy game -> Dump to NSP from RCM?

Can't someone just upgrade without burning fuses is what I'm wondering or I'm guessing that anything after Horizon booting up doesn't work so it would burn fuses? Even then someone can surely just dump the cart unless I'm missing something... From what most are saying its very unlikely smash will require this new firmware to be played, therefore if I can reiterate everyone correctly games from < 2019 will still be accessible through a converted XCI to NSP. After that if they require 6.2.0 then we're screwed I'm guessing...

EDIT: Also in regards to not being able to dump the game... Can't someone theoretically backup, update, download, restore backup permanently using cfw to avoid fuse checking? (I have no clue how dumping works, so I'm probably talking trash here but from what I remember it's a Homebrew app, correct)? Basically just means the user would forever have to use RCM but it feels like everyone not on 1.0.0 - 3.0.0 are kinda screwed in that department for years to come anyways

Last edited by Ian095,

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought the same. People on this subforum talk pretty big with 'it will only be a couple of days to crack, tops', but what they're essentially saying is 'it will only be a couple of days until a couple of developers exploit the processor developed by NVidia, explicitely for security purposes, in the spare time that they have'. What hubris you guys. The RCM exploit might have been a fault they overlooked, but if you think this will be fixed in a couple of days, you are dreaming. NVidia developed that processing unit specifically for security. You think an exploit for something like that will just happen in a couple of days? Userland exploits are far more likely right now.

I agree, there's a real chance this won't ever be hacked. People always say "everything eventually gets hacked" but that isn't really true. Look at the Xbox 360 for example - there aren't any software vulnerabilities at this point.

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I agree, there's a real chance this won't ever be hacked. People always say "everything eventually gets hacked" but that isn't really true. Look at the Xbox 360 for example - there aren't any software vulnerabilities at this point.

If it didn't successfully get hacked I'd probably just wait for a hardware revision to be released to go official again. Even just a second switch would work. Not worth potentially risking giving up Homebrew on an already hacked console.

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it didn't successfully get hacked I'd probably just wait for a hardware revision to be released to go official again. Even just a second switch would work. Not worth potentially risking giving up Homebrew on an already hacked console.
Well if we really want homebrew, could always just not use Horizon at all. Should be possible to get Android working on this thing. Piracy Backups might be another issue

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guessing it will take a while.

We are heading for a hiatus I think. Rather like the PS3 3.55 units. Still, this will give confidence to developers, lengthening the life of the console. And when firmware 8.1.0 gets hacked, the console will be ripe and older ones will be worth rather a lot.

My guess anyway.

metaljay

Trophies
XP
Country
Because everyone stopped bothering after how amazing RGH was!

Reactions: mattytrog

TerraPhantm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because everyone stopped bothering after how amazing RGH was!
There's still some value to a softmod that doesn't require any extra hardware or soldering. Look at B9S on the 3DS - that's pretty much the holy grail with these kind of things

gene0915

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what I'm hearing is my 6.1.0 Switch just went up in value with the eBay crowd?

I'm super mega ultra banned and Smash is the next (and maybe last) game I give a sh*t to have for the Switch. Doesn't look like it will require 6.2 so I think I'm safe there. Guess I'll grab the next Zelda too and after that........... wait for their next, under-powered console.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what I'm hearing is my 6.1.0 Switch just went up in value with the eBay crowd?

I'm super mega ultra banned and Smash is the next (and maybe last) game I give a sh*t to have for the Switch. Doesn't look like it will require 6.2 so I think I'm safe there. Guess I'll grab the next Zelda too and after that........... wait for their next, under-powered console.

i wouldnt get to excited my good sir. i have a feeling in about a month this will be old news.

ROYGES

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can downgrade to a previous firmware using RCM but you must have boot0/boot1/Nand and biskeys. It may be possible to downgrade to a lower firmware if you didn't make backups but this would require creating a custom donor nand image.

It may be possible to take the console specific values from your updated 6.2 nand, pull those out and combine them with someone else's 6.0 image. No guarantees though.

I have those back ups, (4.1.0) , my daughter updated to 6.1.0, say I update to 6.2, can I use those to downgrade? I was told before that thos backups were unusable since I officially updated to 6 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I feel pain on the left side of my stomach