Hacking [PSA] Strong anti-piracy measures implemented by Nintendo for online.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Just to say... this is specifically for hacked games, currently no firmware has code to detect cfw booting from hekate (rcm). And even there, hekate would esily be able to modify it.
Hope I'm not saying sh*t.
Sounds like gibberish. What SciresM talked about is HOW the anti-piracy works. It not a traditional anti-piracy but a detection method.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So according to this the way it reads I should be fine to go online with my backups that I personally made from my games correct me if I’m wrong? But SX appears to emulate the switch’s card slot so technically as long as it’s a 1-1 copy of my game card it should be fine correct?
I literally want to get out of hauling around a bunch of game cards

mariogamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So according to this the way it reads I should be fine to go online with my backups that I personally made from my games correct me if I’m wrong? But SX appears to emulate the switch’s card slot so technically as long as it’s a 1-1 copy of my game card it should be fine correct?
Nothing sure... Maybe.

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country

if I understood it right, then yes that should be okay?
a respected devs insight on this would be appreciated. I might give SX os a go once it's cracked then just to not have to lug all my carts around.

( I tend to buy eShop but sometimes you want those limited editions lol)

Reactions: Zonark

LUCKASS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
So if you stay in plane mode while in cfw you wont get ban, am I right?
And what about downloading games update for games backup ?

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
So then don't go online and turn on airplane mode.

Technically I guess CFW could patch out these checks so it doesn't phone home to verify the certificates at all, and turn off online functionality/force airplane mode. but by then you're sort of crippling your console anyway, might as well be banned and live with it imho.

pLaYeR^^

Doctor Switch
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So if you stay in plane mode while in cfw you wont get ban, am I right?
And what about downloading games update for games backup ?
1) They can't ban you while you're in plane mode but we don't know which logs or errors will be sent to nintendo when you connect to the internet again.
2) Maybe safe, maybe not.

Reactions: LUCKASS and Peabutt

Peabutt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

One would think you would be okay but we don't really know yet. I'm sure someone is going to try it in the future and we will have our answer there. I would just play it safe till then.

D

Deleted-401606

So we must choose: free games or paid online. Pretty easy decision, playing online games on handheld (does somebody still think it's 'hybrid? lol, watara is a hybrid too then).

Choice is super ez, since you can play better online games on PC without any retarted subscriptions.
Low IQ post. Not everyone agrees it's a handheld since it doesn't fit in alot of peoples hands.

Peabutt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Technically I guess CFW could patch out these checks so it doesn't phone home to verify the certificates at all, and turn off online functionality/force airplane mode. but by then you're sort of crippling your console anyway, might as well be banned and live with it imho.

If those checks were patched out and you went online it would definitely result in a ban. It would have to be offline only. They log what you play when you're online and they will see that there was no cert auth with their servers with the title that was launched. And as for going online later after doing that... well they could still be logging it which will result in a ban.

1) They can't ban you while you're in plane mode but we don't know which logs or errors will be sent to nintendo when you connect to the internet again.
2) Maybe safe, maybe not.

^This. This is important for everyone to remember.

Last edited by Peabutt,
Reactions: GizmoTheGreen

GizmoTheGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
If those checks were patched out and you went online it would definitely result in a ban. It would have to be offline only. They log what you play when you're online and they will see that there was no cert auth with their servers with the title that was launched. And as for going online later after doing that... well they could still be logging it which will result in a ban.

^This. This is important for everyone to remember.

yup, so we'd need to patch out logging too, and ofcourse make it offline. or patch out that it sends your currently playing title.
point to take -> we -could- avoid bans. but you give up online play/interaction in any form.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good to know. Sounds like things will be trickier than on the 3ds for sure. My ideal is to have an untouched sysnand for physically bought games, emunand for never connecting to the internet and converting my physical to digital and pirating DLC. Converting physical to digital would be lovely...but even after the tools come out, it'll be along time before I feel safe doing that.

I mainly just like the save edits and potential for pokemon injections :P I expect when the big pokemon game comes out end of next year, the scene will have matured a lot by then.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Daily reminder that SciresM specifically started Atmosphere so he could hack Pokemon and at least half of Pokemon's fun is online battling/trading so while he may not want everyone to pirate, he is inherently supporting using hacked Pokemon online.

Also, maybe I missed something, but none of those steps seem to make a difference whether they are done in EmuNAND or SysNAND. The only difference I see between an online SysNAND + offline EmuNAND vs. offline SysNAND + online EmuNAND is that you're emulating the NAND from the SD card and that the number of fuses burnt won't match up. Arguably, those two differences could set up for a ban but none of the steps in the authentication process to go online seems to check those based on his post. I guess we will have to wait and see if people can get banned for using EmuNAND or having non-matching fuses.

Reactions: 011.guilherme

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one