Hardware 8bitdo Bluetooth Adapter corrupts input drivers on Windows 10

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I made a huge mistake, something that's royally pissing me off in terms of controllers and classic games via emulation. I have an 8bitdo SN30 controller, which is great, feels amazing and makes SNES games feel more authentic. Using RetroArch + Snes9x along with this controller on my new 27" LED screen, and I also got the official 8bitdo adapter two days ago from Amazon. When I first paired the controller and tested in RetroArch, it worked flawless, no added lag, the emulator detected it without issue, and I was playing for a couple of hours. Well, some time passed by, and when I opened RetroArch again, it simply froze with a white screen and I was forced to kill the process in task manager, I was baffled, as it literally worked fine earlier. After some testing, I narrowed it down to something with Dinput/Xinput getting corrupted in some fashion, to make it worse, Windows 10 was stuck in an infinite reboot loop, which further pissed me off. To narrow down the cause, I also tested Bsnes standalone to see if it was an RA issue, it wasn't, because when I loaded it up, one of the drivers crashed and I had to reset them in the emulator. But when I chose the input as "Dinput" Bsnes would crash as well.

To sum up:

- 8bitdo receiver corrupted drivers relating to input
- Ran DISM and SFC /scannow in CMD prompt, Windows fixed all affected files and seems to run good again
- Also to note, Ghub kept crashing and I had to reinstall that, which further complicated things
- RetroArch and Bsnes as well as Dolphin all crashed when loading with Dinput or Xinput

The fact that these are all working fine when using a wired 8bitdo and not Bluetooth leads me to believe the adapter is garbage and should be avoided.
Now, yes, the website does have firmware for this receiver, but what version do I use? How do I know if I try again, I won't experience the same nightmare?
Should I use it on my Wii U or Switch instead of PC? Maybe I got a dud, a unit that only works half of the time, or it doesn't like Windows 10?

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Now, yes, I can use it via USB cable instead, and like I said, works without issue, my only annoyance is the flashing LED on the controller,
it blinks blue of and on, surely that LED would die out fast?

I wanted to use this, I wanted a more authentic experience without the hassle of cables, but either I'm doing something really wrong or my adapter is defective. It was 20 bucks, but I don't see the point in returning it.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if you got a defective device. I'd wager something else screwed your drivers up. I have two of em, and they work perfectly. Either way, I'd recommend picking up a cheap-o USB Bluetooth adapter if you still want to use the controller on your PC. Especially if you don't want to run the risk again. If you do update your FW, make sure you use the latest one for your device. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work, though. That's rough.

Last edited by Kioku,

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wonder if you got a defective device. I'd wager something else screwed your drivers up. I have two of em, and they work perfectly. Either way, I'd recommend picking up a cheap-o USB Bluetooth adapter if you still want to use the controller on your PC. Especially if you don't want to run the risk again. If you do update your FW, make sure you use the latest one for your device. I'm sorry to hear it didn't work, though. That's rough.

I mean, maybe it was a coincidence, as the issue cropped up the same day and around the same time i happened to install the BT dongle. I didn't install the firmware, no, but used default Windows 10 drivers. It worked well enough, and ran DISM and SFC /scannow and fixed whatever was corrupted in input drivers department *shrug*. Can you recommend a good BT adapter? Or should I try again but actually install the latest firmware? The directions on the site are poorly translated, should I install the firmware and then plug the device in?

I just don't know anymore

I'm using one with ds4 in xinput only, always newest firmware. I had no problem so far.

Did you install the firmware before plugging in the device?

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Uiaad

GBAtemp's resident guinea pig
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I mean, maybe it was a coincidence, as the issue cropped up the same day and around the same time i happened to install the BT dongle. I didn't install the firmware, no, but used default Windows 10 drivers. It worked well enough, and ran DISM and SFC /scannow and fixed whatever was corrupted in input drivers department *shrug*. Can you recommend a good BT adapter? Or should I try again but actually install the latest firmware? The directions on the site are poorly translated, should I install the firmware and then plug the device in?

I just don't know anymore

Did you install the firmware before plugging in the device?

My gut tells me that there is something else going on and this just so happened coincide with the 8bitdo device being plugged in, tho stranger things have happened. I've personally got 2 or 3 of these dongles for this and that and haven't had an issue with.

If you are having an issue with updating the firmware drop me a PM and I'd gladly walk you through it. It's always a good idea to be running the latest firmware was these usually offer fixes or issues that have come out since it launched. As far as bluetooth dongles go they are all pretty much the same these days in all honesty, It's not like it was back in the days when several could be built on different custom stacks, that could get quite annoying at times. At Minimum you wanna go for something that has version of bluetooth 4 tho if you plan on using it for other stuff try and get version 5

gohan123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I used the dongle for almost a year now, at the beginning with the firmware it first came in with. for the update, I start the software, unplug the usb, press the button on it while plugging it in again, then I choose the firmware to update it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used the dongle for almost a year now, at the beginning with the firmware it first came in with. for the update, I start the software, unplug the usb, press the button on it while plugging it in again, then I choose the firmware to update it.

I probably got a lemon, but after much frustration with corrupted drivers, etc, I got Windows back to running normally, went to Best Buy and got a new USB adapter. Bluetooth works flawlessly and properly with my SF30 controller.

Nierroh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to say that I experienced the exact same thing with my 8bitdo bluetooth adapter and windows 10. I was getting weird driver errors, like my USB ports not working, webcam not recognizing and the aforementioned reboot loop. I was pissed and did everything I could to resolve the issue. Updated drivers, multiple other troubleshooting steps, etc. I even eventually just re-installed windows and chalked it up to a corrupt OS, but then the problem rears it's ugly head once again and I noticed it happened right after I had left the adapter plugged into my PC over night. I have now convinced my 8bitdo adapter is doing the same thing yours was. Not sure if it's related to leaving it plugged in when there is no controller connected to it or what. Either way I won't be using it anymore.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to say that I experienced the exact same thing with my 8bitdo bluetooth adapter and windows 10. I was getting weird driver errors, like my USB ports not working, webcam not recognizing and the aforementioned reboot loop. I was pissed and did everything I could to resolve the issue. Updated drivers, multiple other troubleshooting steps, etc. I even eventually just re-installed windows and chalked it up to a corrupt OS, but then the problem rears it's ugly head once again and I noticed it happened right after I had left the adapter plugged into my PC over night. I have now convinced my 8bitdo adapter is doing the same thing yours was. Not sure if it's related to leaving it plugged in when there is no controller connected to it or what. Either way I won't be using it anymore.

Just to give an update, I'm using a generic Bluetooth adapter, and my SN30 Pro Plus works flawlessly now. Do NOT use the garbage 8bitdo receiver, lesson learned.

Willsito_GG

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hello The Randomizer!

Hope you are well and thanks for your post.

I step into your post while looking for info for my 8Bitdo SN30 Pro controllers (I opened a new post here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/8bitdo-sn30-pro-bluetooth-issues-in-windows-10-startup.584636/ ) but I wanted to ask you why didn't you try to connect your 8Bitdo SN30 PRO PLUS to Windows directly via Bluetooth instead of using the 8Bitdo adapter?

Thanks in adavance,

Best regards

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've used that receiver before? The Mario brick looking one?

You're honestly better off using a good quality motherboard with a good antenna for the BT signal IMO. BT pairing works like pairing a controller to a console most of the time, and that's not just for 8bitdo!

Reactions: Alexander1970

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Ahhh... also screwed up (?) my Steam Controller drivers - potentially, when connecting a steam controller while 8bitdo USB dongle is connected, Steam crashes within seconds.

But I'm using the dongles as my only input device (disconnected steam controller) -- for quite a while now, and am very happy with them...

Also no issues with Retroarch that I can remember.

As for firmware upgrades - go with the one for your colored dongle - I guess. :) Should be similar or the same - but I always did, and didnt have issues

--

Also from troubleshouting the steam controller crash, I remember that the 8bitdo controller (while in XInput mode) only shows up as one device, and once device only (Xbox 360 Controller) in device manager -- and Steam support thought that crashes might be connected to game overlays (so NVidia Experience, Rivatuner, ... or similar).

edit: I'm talking about the 'brick style' USB Receiver dongles for PS3, PS4 and Xbox One Controllers, you might not be. Also I didnt have any corruption issues per se - but I had this strange incompatibility while having the USB controller and a Steam controller connected at the same time.

Last edited by notimp,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, babies invented lesbians