Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello
I'm currently looking for an hdd (dont bother telling me an ssd is better, i wont use that one for gaming)
I just found this on amazon(see image below)
The 4tb one is perfect forme, size wise and price wise
However, the 2tb one right below makes me doubting...
Is this 4tb hdd has a price that is too good to be true?
Is this brand good? Or it will break in less than a year?
I'd like to know your thoughts
Thanks
Screenshot_20221229-172518.png

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seagate is solid. I've never had any issues with any of their products, and for a 3.5" internal drive, that's right in the range you should expect.

This would make an excellent storage/backup drive, and should handle most PC games without a hitch. Just don't expect SSD speeds; this is at least eight times slower than an SSD drive, hence the price.

Reactions: binkinator

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had already Seagate Baracuda already and using the 2TB modell atm for my steam games without issues. And the price is good, compared to a external 4TB/5TB Western Digital hdd that cost the same.

Seagate is one of the big brands and if iam correct they create the external game drives for Playstation and XBOX.

Reactions: binkinator

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seagate is solid. I've never had any issues with any of their products, and for a 3.5" internal drive, that's right in the range you should expect.

This would make an excellent storage/backup drive, and should handle most PC games without a hitch. Just don't expect SSD speeds; this is at least eight times slower than an SSD drive, hence the price.
imo, it sounds about right compared to hdds I've bought in the past.
first, just reminding you that this is CAD (about 30% more expansive than euro or usd)

secondly, the sub-brand barracuda is good too?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first, just reminding you that this is CAD (about 30% more expansive than euro or usd)

secondly, the sub-brand barracuda is good too?
I'm using us prices. a 5TB external hdd is about $125 or so, which is the closest to that size as I have. as for the model, I don't know. I always buy wd

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seagate makes good drives. All of the drive makers go through ups and downs though, but I have Seagates in my Synology and they work just fine.

It should be good for your needs. You'll just experience sluggish game startups.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm using us prices. a 5TB external hdd is about $125 or so, which is the closest to that size as I have. as for the model, I don't know. I always buy wd
well thats my point
5tb 125USD would be around 160-165CAD
Post automatically merged:

Seagate makes good drives. All of the drive makers go through ups and downs though, but I have Seagates in my Synology and they work just fine.

It should be good for your needs. You'll just experience sluggish game startups.
I'm not going to use it for gaming
I'll be honest, it's only to store torrenting files so i can seed them
I have other drives for gaming and other stuffs

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
then, why did you ask? there are people on here from all over the world.
well... thats why i asked...?
Because i dont know if 99CAD for a 4TB HDD is too good to be true :(

Reactions: godreborn

RaptorDMG

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Just keep in mind that the non Ironwolf Seagate drives have a slow write rate due to using SMR technology but the read speed should be about the same

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well, it's hard to say due to the price difference. I don't know how much a Canadian dollar is worth compared with the US.
I think i said it above (add about 30% to the USD price to get the CAD price)
As I said, your 125USD 5TB in CAD should be around 160-165CAD

Reactions: godreborn

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Do you know the Bic Mac Index? Its a index to compare prices for the same product produced on same way all the World. For one BicMac its In EU its 4,77€ / USA its 5,15 / CAN its 5,25. So if you pay ~30% more its a bad deal.

Last edited by Sypherone,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you know the Bic Mac Index? Its a index to compare prices for the same product produced on same way all the World. For one BicMac its In EU its 4,77€ / USA its 5,15 / CAN its 5,25. So if you pay ~30% more its a bad deal.
mmmh yea... well, thats not really how it works between usa and canada
See? Due to the difference between CAD and USD, people from USA started buying some stuff in Canada and selling them regular price in USA
That way, they were making, as I said, about 25-30% profit
So they increased the price of many types of product, like electronics
I get your point, but Big Mac weren't affected by that price increase, since no one will try to go in canada, buy a big mac, and sell it in usa

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Ya, from this point its a bad deal. But the exchange is actually 1USD to 1,36CAD so its nearly the same for the drive with ~30% higher in CAD. => 125USD are 170CAD.

Reactions: Noctosphere

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ya, from this point its a bad deal. But the exchange is actually 1USD to 1,36CAD so its nearly the same for the drive with ~30% higher in CAD. => 125USD are 170CAD.
That increase of 30% in electronics started in early 2010, around the 3ds release
Since, it has never changed. Around a year or two ago, the cad increased a lot, going from around 1.30cad for 1usd to about 1.10-1.15cad, and it stayed that way for several months
However, the 30% remained. Technically, video games should have dropped of about 5-10$, but they stayed 80cad +txs
Post automatically merged:

There are video games nowadays that are literally 100cad+txs
Luckily i dont play any of these games. These games are the likes of nba, fifa and call of duty

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Fifa 22 costs in europe for steam actually 60€ incl tax -> ~87CAD (1€/1,44CAD). Ya, 100CAD for the game would ~13CAD to much.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo