"A new update is available. It will be downloaded now." When starting Game

lucky13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I connected to the internet to download some RetroArch core updates via Atmosphere, I thought I had blocked all the Nintendo Online DNS entries by using 90DNS but apparently not....I've now gone back to Airplane mode

Anyway now when trying to Start any game I get:

A new update is Available.
It will be downloaded now.

I get the option to Start Software ( If I do this the game starts fine )
Cancel or Download ( If I select download it fails as no internet is connected )

How to I get away from the nag popup ?

I've gone into Goldleaf and deleted any pending updates, none are left now
I've gone into Maintenance Mode on the OFW and powered off
I've gone into Maintenance Mode on the CFW and powered off
I've updated Atmosphere to the latest version along with Firmware 17
I've updated the OFW to version 17

I'm still getting the nag screen...can anyone help ?

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I connected to the internet to download some RetroArch core updates via Atmosphere, I thought I had blocked all the Nintendo Online DNS entries by using 90DNS but apparently not....I've now gone back to Airplane mode

Anyway now when trying to Start any game I get:

A new update is Available.
It will be downloaded now.

I get the option to Start Software ( If I do this the game starts fine )
Cancel or Download ( If I select download it fails as no internet is connected )

How to I get away from the nag popup ?

I've gone into Goldleaf and deleted any pending updates, none are left now
I've gone into Maintenance Mode on the OFW and powered off
I've gone into Maintenance Mode on the CFW and powered off
I've updated Atmosphere to the latest version along with Firmware 17
I've updated the OFW to version 17

I'm still getting the nag screen...can anyone help ?
I think you can used DBI and clean up Orphaned files with it. This should probably remove the nag

lucky13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think you can used DBI and clean up Orphaned files with it. This should probably remove the nag

Installed DBI and ran the delete orphaned files but no luck...it seems to be Game updates that the Update prompt is referring to as it only happens on about 50% of all my games ...
Post automatically merged:

Update your game
it's on around 50% of my games within Atmosphere, so that would take quite a while and wouldn't the get me banned by Nintendo and also break my games ?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Installed DBI and ran the delete orphaned files but no luck...it seems to be Game updates that the Update prompt is referring to as it only happens on about 50% of all my games ...

it's on around 50% of my games within Atmosphere, so that would take quite a while and wouldn't the get me banned by Nintendo and also break my games ?
The fact that it prompted at all sounds like the system is still interacting with Nintendo's servers which is real bad.

Reactions: BigOnYa

lucky13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I had this as well some time ago and I believe I fixed it by removing all of the games' data from the system menu.
How did you do that ? Does that delete the game or save game data ?

Nope

All firmwares have an updates database and games will ask for update if not installed.

You only need to update your games in order to avoid the message.
It only started doing this after I went online by mistake....I was already on Firmware 16 and zero prompts until going online by mistake.

The fact that it prompted at all sounds like the system is still interacting with Nintendo's servers which is real bad.
It's in Flight Mode so not online

I had this as well some time ago and I believe I fixed it by removing all of the games' data from the system menu.
Ok I did that and no change still getting prompted

Last edited by lucky13,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would use something like AiO Updater which has a tool to check games for updates and manually download them online and update them, especially if cleaning orphaned files don't work.

My feeling is just that you did the classic mistake of relying on 90DNS a bit too much. Should have used exosphere to blank the prodinfo at least in addition to that. I think there's also a hosts file in atmosphere that can be used to basically do the same as 90DNS but in a more reliable way.

I also do think that the FW at some point does know when a game do have updates, I don't have sources but I'm pretty sure that some of my games sometimes want an update even tho I'm on my blanked emunand (like if I want to boot up ARMS on 1.0 it'll ask for an update). What that means is that to get rid of those then ... update the game. Manually if it's not a game you own.

But since it's been popping in after going online, you've probably been in contact with Nintendo and ... well you know

EDIT : After thinking about it, maybe it's not because the FW knows there's an update for ARMS but more because I updated the game once and deleted it (I own the cartridge) for disk space, so now if I try to boot up it remembers there used to be an update.

Homani82

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaning orphaned files does not work because it is not designed to do it!
To remove update nag you should use Reset required version.
Thank you that worked for most of my games, howver for Smash Bros. I am still getting the update request, I may need to try another NSP file + Update?

Thank you that worked for most of my games, howver for Smash Bros. I am still getting the update request, I may need to try another NSP file + Update?
resintalled the game with updates and seems to have fixed the issue.

Last edited by Homani82,

lucky13

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaning orphaned files does not work because it is not designed to do it!
To remove update nag you should use Reset required version.
Oh my god your amaziing that's fixed all the games in one go!

For anyone who wants extra instructions
Load up DBI
Select Browse Installed Applications
Press the + key on the Switch
Select Reset Required Version

And that's it, all my games don't prompt for the Update nag anymore...only odd thing is only the top game was highlighted when I pressed the + key but it seems to have fixed it for all my games in one go.

Brilliant thanks duckbill007

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly it didn't work for them.

"I've gone into Goldleaf and deleted any pending updates, none are left now"
Delete pending updates is only for FW in Goldleaf. Need to use other feature called Reset launch version for each individual game. But each time you go online, the nag will return.

Last edited by BigOnYa,
Reactions: linuxares

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol