Hacking Homebrew A new way to experience StreetPass

HeroPrinny

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Theoretically if I use the homebrew channel swap of LUMA3DS and load up the .3dsx whilst in a game would my Streetpass amiibo have the game icon instead of netpass or does netpass change the icon already? I assume I'm getting tags of peoples icons being netpass because it's the .cia version. I guess I would need to try.
If anyone sees my Streetpass with Dragon Quest VII icon let me know.

Do you ever think it would be possible to add an option before joining Train Station, Plaza etc to pick an installed game to be your icon for the streetpass?

Last edited by HeroPrinny,

Nos_T

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's a question that may just be me not knowing how the Streetpass Mii Plaza works, but every now and then when I use Net Pass I get some new visitors, but then I also see that some other Miis in the plaza that I had in there earlier say they were encountered 1 minute ago, but I still only have one tag from them. Is this a quirk of Mii Plaza or is it something to do with Net Pass? So far I haven't gotten more than 1 tag on any Mii met with Net Pass.

Reactions: PacDan16

CodyMKW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Theoretically if I use the homebrew channel swap of LUMA3DS and load up the .3dsx whilst in a game would my Streetpass amiibo have the game icon instead of netpass or does netpass change the icon already? I assume I'm getting tags of peoples icons being netpass because it's the .cia version. I guess I would need to try.
If anyone sees my Streetpass with Dragon Quest VII icon let me know.

Do you ever think it would be possible to add an option before joining Train Station, Plaza etc to pick an installed game to be your icon for the streetpass?
that's what I wanna know too I injected hb launcher into Animal Crossing and ran NetPass so if you or anyone else finds me let me know as well :P

I'm thinking it will show cause the 3ds friend list shows the game name so don't see why streetpass mii plaza wouldn't as well

HeroPrinny

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
that's what I wanna know too I injected hb launcher into Animal Crossing and ran NetPass so if you or anyone else finds me let me know as well :P

I'm thinking it will show cause the 3ds friend list shows the game name so don't see why streetpass mii plaza wouldn't as well
Mine is now Pokemon Alpha Sapphire. Name should be HeroPrinny. I picked Train Station if anyone can confirm hijacking a game via Luma and using 3DSX gives you a different icon.

ChronosNotashi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I've been experiencing crashes with the app again. After the 10 hours were up, I checked the downloads and saw a few more tag confirmations than usual, which was nice...until it crashed when it got to "Downloading inbox 12/12" (and possibly losing all of the tags that were downloaded for that session in the process). I tried to launch a couple more times in case it was a minor issue, and it still crashed, each time at 12/12. Made sure to get an image of the most recent crash log on my phone in case it's needed, and it should be attached to this post. I should also note that I am using an o2DS system, and my Streetpass games are the following (from left to right, top to bottom, assuming that's how the app goes through them):

Tomodachi Life
Final Fantasy Explorers
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Fire Emblem Fates
Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon Rumble World
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Y
Streetpass Mii Plaza

Hope this information helps to improve the app and narrow down the issue.

Edit: If it also helps, checking my Streetpass tags shows that I have 9 tags for Streetpass Mii Plaza (which has a hard cap of 10 tags), which I'm going to assume would be the 12th title checked for upload/download based on the list provided. I'll see about getting those tags processed and trying again, in case the crash is due to an overflow of tags. I'll update if it crashes again.

Update: Launched Streetpass Mii Plaza and picked up the tags for it, then after doing the puzzle game to make sure they "locked in", attempted to collect tags again, and it worked. This does seem to indicate that the crashes may be due to the app trying to download more tags than a game's cap allows at the time (i.e. having 9 Mii Plaza tags already, and the app attempts to download more than one tag, exceeding the 10 tag cap).

Can't say for certain, though, but it might be something to look into and, if the exceeded tags is what's causing it, see if it's possible to set up game-specific caps server-side while also having failsafes to prevent more tags than can be add from being downloaded.

Attachments

• 20240428_034130.jpg
    20240428_034130.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
Last edited by ChronosNotashi,
Reactions: Tarmfot

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@sorunome i found one example of using LED notification. I tried to port some code to your code, but unfortunatelly I am not good enough with C anymore. Years of not using it did the job...

Code:
https://github.com/CPunch/CtrRGBPATTY/tree/master
Will check it out, thanks!
Well, I've been experiencing crashes with the app again. After the 10 hours were up, I checked the downloads and saw a few more tag confirmations than usual, which was nice...until it crashed when it got to "Downloading inbox 12/12" (and possibly losing all of the tags that were downloaded for that session in the process). I tried to launch a couple more times in case it was a minor issue, and it still crashed, each time at 12/12. Made sure to get an image of the most recent crash log on my phone in case it's needed, and it should be attached to this post. I should also note that I am using an o2DS system, and my Streetpass games are the following (from left to right, top to bottom, assuming that's how the app goes through them):

Tomodachi Life
Final Fantasy Explorers
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Fire Emblem Fates
Fire Emblem Awakening
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Pokemon Rumble World
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
Pokemon Omega Ruby
Pokemon Y
Streetpass Mii Plaza

Hope this information helps to improve the app and narrow down the issue.

Edit: If it also helps, checking my Streetpass tags shows that I have 9 tags for Streetpass Mii Plaza (which has a hard cap of 10 tags), which I'm going to assume would be the 12th title checked for upload/download based on the list provided. I'll see about getting those tags processed and trying again, in case the crash is due to an overflow of tags. I'll update if it crashes again.

Update: Launched Streetpass Mii Plaza and picked up the tags for it, then after doing the puzzle game to make sure they "locked in", attempted to collect tags again, and it worked. This does seem to indicate that the crashes may be due to the app trying to download more tags than a game's cap allows at the time (i.e. having 9 Mii Plaza tags already, and the app attempts to download more than one tag, exceeding the 10 tag cap).

Can't say for certain, though, but it might be something to look into and, if the exceeded tags is what's causing it, see if it's possible to set up game-specific caps server-side while also having failsafes to prevent more tags than can be add from being downloaded.
Would you mind DM'ing soru your mac address so that she can look into the data directly?

Superdude11235

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I request a feature?
It would be really cool if I could send my streetpass to a specific person, or group of people. This would allow us to streetpass friends from around the world! Additionally, it would effectively revive many applications. We would be able to send Swapnote over the Internet again! We can also share Mario Maker levels, Mario Kart ghost data, etc online.

Dufour

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hey! I enjoyed the app for 2 days and then suddenly I’ve got an error 35 (you can see more details in the photo). I’ve tried to reinstall the app, reboot my 3ds but nothing helped. Maybe someone has encountered with this problem.

photo_2024-04-29 07.11.27.jpeg

flameConvoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to give the program a homescreen menu icon and name? Currently it only has a bottom screen icon of a green circle and I worry I'll forget what this is after a few months

podmnotri

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hey! I enjoyed the app for 2 days and then suddenly I’ve got an error 35 (you can see more details in the photo). I’ve tried to reinstall the app, reboot my 3ds but nothing helped. Maybe someone has encountered with this problem.

View attachment 434485
Hello, are you also located in China Mainland? (i got it from your profile) I think it's due to GFW block. Using proxy can solve this problem.
Homebrew software doesn't seem to follow the system proxy settings, try using a transparent proxy.

Dufour

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello, are you also located in China Mainland? (i got it from your profile) I think it's due to GFW block. Using proxy can solve this problem.
Homebrew software doesn't seem to follow the system proxy settings, try using a transparent proxy.
Yea, I'm in China Mainland. Hmm weird it worked for 1.5 - 2 days and just accidentally stopped. I've tried to make a hotspot with my phone but didn't work. I use UU (kinda proxy thing for gaming).

podmnotri

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yea, I'm in China Mainland. Hmm weird it worked for 1.5 - 2 days and just accidentally stopped. I've tried to make a hotspot with my phone but didn't work. I use UU (kinda proxy thing for gaming).

Sorry, I have not tested UU. Since it is difficult for us to know the specific blocked areas and blocking methods of GFW, I think it is better to use a proxy server (rather than game booster like UU) that can access websites such as Google to ensure a stable connection. You can test whether you can access by this domain:
streetpass.sorunome.de
When I ping the domain without proxy, there is a huge delay and nearly 30% packet loss (I also encounter the problem in recent two days).
Since this seems to be a regional connectivity issue, I think it will be difficult for developers to fix it. Unless the server is set up in China mainland.

Catzzye

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Anyone else had issues with Bravely Default? Friend and I got the green dot signalizing StreetPass hit, but when we entered it just wasn't there and dot disappeared

DelfynoDurians

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This service is great! :toot: I've done all I can do with Streetpass Mii Plaza, and now I can connect to other Yo-kai Watch and Tomodachi Life people!... once the connection issues for those games are fixed, that is.

If it helps at all with the Tomodachi Life issue of travelers not leaving the port, it may have to do with Spotpass. When a traveler is leaving your island on Tomodachi, they'll want to send a letter to their origin island via Spotpass. And since Spotpass was shut down alongside the Nintendo Network services, that would lead to a check fail so the traveler doesn't leave.

I have no idea what the issue could be for Yo-kai Watch 1/2/3, but I have Streetpass data for all three games (& Blasters) so I can report back if I get fake hits for them.

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This service is great! :toot: I've done all I can do with Streetpass Mii Plaza, and now I can connect to other Yo-kai Watch and Tomodachi Life people!... once the connection issues for those games are fixed, that is.

If it helps at all with the Tomodachi Life issue of travelers not leaving the port, it may have to do with Spotpass. When a traveler is leaving your island on Tomodachi, they'll want to send a letter to their origin island via Spotpass. And since Spotpass was shut down alongside the Nintendo Network services, that would lead to a check fail so the traveler doesn't leave.

I have no idea what the issue could be for Yo-kai Watch 1/2/3, but I have Streetpass data for all three games (& Blasters) so I can report back if I get fake hits for them.
thanks, soru knows exactly what the issue with tomodachi life is, and she is currently working on a fix for this
Post automatically merged:

New NetPass v0.2.2 release!
This will fix bugs around passing, hopefully Tomodachi Life and Nintendogs etc. You can already grab it by scanning the qr code in the repo, or wait for universal updater to collect and publish the release

Soru did not have time+energy today to update the banner or more art, however that is definitely still planned. Soru prioritized these bugfixes instead.

Furthermore, soru figured out why the server was sluggish and that should be fixed now, too (everything accidentally ran on a single thread so that it could only process the next thread when the one before was done)

Last edited by sorunome,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like it wrong
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I SAW A MEME UNDER THAT WITH THE CAPTION "How to kill covid" AND IT WAS FADED HAND SANITIZER INSTRUCTIONS SAYING "rub onto anus until cry" 💀😭
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Hello, my friend.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, I lost an online friend today who i knew since 2021
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, I'm sorry to hear that.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, He said that my actitude was "cutty" and that our friendship wasnt going anywhere
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, You're not like that. I see you as a really kind individual.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Sounds like you are better off than having a petty friend like that anyways. You win today.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, but both of us were fine yesterday
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ah well, at least you got us (sorry if this sounds like some cornball ass "power of friendship" stuff)
    +3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kind of hyped about the new ally finally a portable with full m.2 support
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Kinda reminds me of a life lesson in the movie "Bronx Tale". Guy1 owes another, guy2 $10 and the guy2 keeps chasing guy1 around the city trying to get his money back, till someone tells him, "stop, you got off easy, its only $10. That guy will never bother you again or ask you for money again, so take it as a win."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Guy1 will continue to talk shit about you constantly as well
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Because he knows what he did
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Speaking of which, where is my $10 Ken? And I heard you been talking crap bout me to my wife. Punk.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You were standing right there when we were talking should've said something then
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking insurance gave me a migraine told me my dentist was in network now they're rejecting claims saying they aren't
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's what they do the best, pass the buck.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That's what they do the best, pass the buck.