A possible hostage situation is reportedly taking place at Ubisoft's Montreal office building

i0R4mdi.png

Multiple French-speaking news outlets are reporting that a dramatic situation is taking place at Ubisoft Montreal. According to Journal de Quebec, TVA Nouvelles, and footage from Twitter users near the area, suspects have taken "dozens" of hostages inside Ubisoft's office. Police are currently recorded as being on the scene, approaching the building on Saint-Laurent Boulevard. Currently, sources claim that employees are hiding under their desks, are trapped on the roof, or have escaped the building.

:arrow: Source 1 / 2

[UPDATE]

Jason Schreier is reporting that Ubisoft employees have received security instructions and are evacuating, though the actual cause is unknown at this point, and that they're working with the police.

[UPDATE2]

The call has been reported as a hoax. No one was injured, and all employees appear to have safely left the building.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
I might try to look at this creatively.

If this is a way to tell management to rethink their 'woking people out' practices, its a mighty effective one.

Bad publicity, lost time, low morals, administrational work. Easily repeatable...

Hey if you have someone with hacker sensibilities, he/she (ok, he.. ;) more likely in this case) might even be able to pull this off without being caught. :)

Hm....

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim
D

Deleted User

They didn't get enough buzz with the source code "leak" since netiquette didn't allow it to reach very far, so they went for the next dumbest viral marketing tactic from the list, shock advertising.

Some Ubi employees on Twitter were joking about it as it "happened", agitating the crowd to get everyone looking then trying to force memes of it

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't updates go on top instead of the bottom? And also why do you keep the same title as if this is still going on? Anyone who enters the site gets totally midlead into thinking this is still a thing happening which shouldn't happen in journalism.

Reactions: White_Raven_X

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
In before swatting attempts just got even more fun.

So

And this is apparently unacceptable? Now we have had some edge cases before on what may or may not
I thought it was a fairly standard character trait. Just when I thought twitter could not get any sillier.
uh I don't see anything wrong with it at all, dafuq, I need a list of characters people aren't allowed to write anymore

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
uh I don't see anything wrong with it at all, dafuq, I need a list of characters people aren't allowed to write anymore
I think you might still be allowed to write about how the elephant lost his sustainably sourced and biodegradable balloon. Beyond that it is iffy and if it is not iffy now then in 5 years it might well be. You might also want to contend with the less than bright members of the "opposite" side of the spectrum that don't understand the concepts involved (despite possibly saying free speech also means speech you don't like) or yearn for a time that never existed.
Upside of all that. Write whatever you like as someone will try it on regardless and thus does not matter.
Bit too much boy who cried wolf really, though that might be wrong and to correct historic disparities that story still set in medieval rural Europe somewhere might have to be a black girl (possibly gender non conforming or at least of a single mother) that was not in fact nominally supposed to be oppressing sheep but in fact raising plants that a wolf saw as colonising its woods, but her understanding nature allowed the wolf to become partially omnivorous (maybe vegan) and it was not the girl lying (because women never lie about serious things) but the villagers that thought she was incapable of handling herself that imagined her crying out and through embarrassment at her magnificence in fact shunned her. It did however all work out in the end because a passing prince decided he needed a strong queen and they lived happily ever after.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Forgot to say it, but my mom noticed something when TVA was showing live the employees on the roof
They all had their coat, like they had time to get their coat in an emergency
So... that reinforced my theory of a marketing coup...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to say it, but my mom noticed something when TVA was showing live the employees on the roof
They all had their coat, like they had time to get their coat in an emergency
So... that reinforced my theory of a marketing coup...
If the coat is on the back of a chair or in your cubicle then I fail to see why grabbing it on the way out is going to be an issue. Or do you know they have a cloakroom they keep everything in?

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If the coat is on the back of a chair or in your cubicle then I fail to see why grabbing it on the way out is going to be an issue. Or do you know they have a cloakroom they keep everything in?
I don't know, but they all had their coat

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know, but they all had their coat
If you are in deepest, darkest Canada during November you probably have a coat. If the building is not falling down/burning down/smoke filling/actively flooding and bullets are not flying then you presumably can grab the coat that might well be nearby at your desk/on the way out of the door.

I know they tell everybody "in an emergency don't stop to collect belongings" but again unless immediate danger and all that most still do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto