Ubisoft reveals Assassin's Creed: Infinity, will possibly be an online, live service game

fersffds.png

After releasing Assassin's Creed: Valhalla at the end of last year, Ubisoft is already looking towards the future for the Assassin's Creed franchise. A new game is early on in development, and will attempt to "evolve" the series, Ubisoft has confirmed. The reveal of the code-named Assassin's Creed: Infinity follows a report from Bloomberg's Jason Schreier, who leaked the existence of the project, stating that insider sources claimed that the game would be an online game, with multiple playable settings and time periods.

Infinity will also see the first instance of Ubisoft's Montreal and Quebec studios collaborating on an Assassin's Creed title, bringing together the two teams who have previously worked on numerous different Assassin's Creed games throughout the years. Nathalie Bouchard, Managing Director at Ubisoft Montreal put out a press release explaining that Infinity will see the franchise change alongside the gaming industry, which implies the concept of a live-service, constantly updating Assassin's Creed as Schreier reported, though does not officially confirm such.

This change means we’re also evolving along with the video game industry. The pandemic and working from home have fundamentally changed the way we produce games, giving us a moment to reflect on our organization. Assassin’s Creed was born within the walls of Ubisoft Montreal and the studio built an incredible foundation for the franchise with the immense skill and creativity of its teams before Ubisoft Quebec then took the lead with Assassin’s Creed Syndicate and Odyssey, demonstrating its ability to drive the franchise even further.

:arrow: Source

GoldenBullet

That One Guy
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking MMOs, specifically. I'm talking about games that get sequels which are online-only that lead to other online-only sequels that can lead to said prequel dying on the long run. Like a trial.
To be fair, most of the time online only games die because they well... died. Its not uncommon for a game to live longer than its planned life because the community stayed with it. Yes there are example of semi popular games getting shut down but usually had external factors involved.

That being said, this game sounds stupid. Do enough people really care about this franchise enough for this to exist?

Last edited by GoldenBullet,
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be fair, most of the time online only games die because they well... died. Its not uncommon for a game to live longer than its planned life because the community stayed with it. Yes there are example of semi popular games getting shut down but usually had external factors involved.

That being said, this game sounds stupid. Do enough people really care about this franchise enough for this to exist?
I've been a fan ever since the first game. Then this hot pile of garbage happened...

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem is that they kept introducing characters to the plot making it more complex. The stories are fine, but they're not the same without the original characters. I thought that killing off Desmond in ACIII would mean that they could bring him back in a future installment with the use of a certain piece of Eden (The Shrouds from Syndicate), but that went out the window when they confirmed that the shrouds can't bring people back to life.

I kinda lost track after AC4 because with AC1- AC3 they kinda broke it down but when you get to Unity and Syndicate Desmond isn't really there and idk who is the new person and Origins is where I left off. I still have Origins , Odyssey , and Valhalla to beat.

The fixed the difficulty in Origins because my only complaint about the Old AC games they were too easy to beat and they upped the difficulty after Syndicate but Origins got complex in a good and a bad way

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kinda lost track after AC4 because with AC1- AC3 they kinda broke it down but when you get to Unity and Syndicate Desmond isn't really there and idk who is the new person and Origins is where I left off. I still have Origins , Odyssey , and Valhalla to beat.

The fixed the difficulty in Origins because my only complaint about the Old AC games they were too easy to beat and they upped the difficulty after Syndicate but Origins got complex in a good and a bad way
They went with a more RPG-esque style which was supposed to pique more peoples' interests. However, some people enjoyed it while some people didn't. I liked them, myself. Though, I still haven't played through Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla yet due to financial reasons.

Last edited by Deleted member 534570,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If Ubisoft really go to the free-microtransaction games route, I might even start to playing their games, not that I like this microtransaction model, but I don't like Ubisoft games as much as it costs.

For loyal fans, I think it sucks tho. I would hate to see a series that I really like going to this route.
better this route than what they did with splinter cell, an entire generation and no a single new game or even remaster/re release, they just added the protagonist on a ghost reckon dlc mission to acknowledged it still exists...

TheGodMauro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
If anything they took a long time to commit AC to this model, Ubisoft has been saying for years that they want to move into GaaS overall. Just Dance, Rainbow 6 Siege, Trackmania, Rocksmith, Uno, The Crew are all games/series that they currently run under the model, and I fully expect the next Far Cry to also be a Gaas. I'm willing to give it a try, the last couple of AC games have been fun, even if I get burnt out before playing them to the end.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They went with a more RPG-esque style which was supposed to pique more peoples' interests. However, some people enjoyed it while some people didn't. I liked them, myself. Though, I still haven't played through Syndicate, Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla yet due to financial reasons.

Ahh understood after Syndicate everything changes Origins you can actually choose the difficulty but alot of stuff they changed... some good some bad but it doesn't feel like the traditional AC games anymore.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sounds pretty cool
Assassin's Creed could easily be a very fun multiplayer experience with missions designed around 2 or more people infiltrating areas stealthily.
Unity was an interesting concept but clearly went undercooked. As much as Valhalla isn't an actual AC game in basically any way, it also had a lot of design features that would translate well to a multiplayer AC game.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As somebody who is always playing catch up with Ubi games several years down the road, I can't say that their idea of continued online support for older games somehow fits with this model. Rayman Legends is recent enough and has already been stripped of simple challenge-style online functionality, nevermind what they will do with such demanding games like AC.

It's a shame. Nowadays we can pick up a NES game and play it exactly as it was intended. "Industry trends" will make sure most AAA titles will see no such treatment from future generations.

W9qI8k5QMf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
at its core... online massive world assassins' creed would be cool.

but it will be ruined by paywalls for sure. and will only be fun for rich people with a lot of money . which sadly is the future we live in and will keep getting worse .

Last edited by W9qI8k5QMf,

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why do companies even bloody bother trying "live service" anymore? Almost all of them flop pretty quickly - Avengers and Anthem being the two I can think of right now - so surely that'd disincentivise further experiments.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ubisoft's Rocksmith + will be a monthly or yearly subscription service that will give you access (to all the DLC you already paid for from the old game). We call it Rocksmith Minus around here.

and now...
Assassins Creed Infinity "will possibly be an online, live service game"

That's me out. Bye-bye, Ubisoft!

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety