Hacking Question A question on emulation

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As so all know, Reswitched and Pegaswitch made significant strides towards homebrew on switch. In the process, we dumped the bootrom, the kernel, and many other things that I don't know of... but I have an interesting question: if we are getting to a point where we can develop for the switch, is it possible to make a switch emulator on PC, even if it was only for debug purposes, or is it still too early in its life cycle to think of emulating the console?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As so all know, Reswitched and Pegaswitch made significant strides towards homebrew on switch. In the process, we dumped the bootrom, the kernel, and many other things that I don't know of... but I have an interesting question: if we are getting to a point where we can develop for the switch, is it possible to make a switch emulator on PC, even if it was only for debug purposes, or is it still too early in its life cycle to think of emulating the console?
We already have a switch emulator for debugging homebrew. But it ONLY does homebrew, nothing more.
https://github.com/reswitched/Mephisto

boscocraftXD

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We already have a switch emulator for debugging homebrew. But it ONLY does homebrew, nothing more.
https://github.com/reswitched/Mephisto
Do you think that it could eventually do games? Because if we can test homebrew in a virtual environment, that means we already have some basic graphical emulation. And all we would need is input, and a sound engine....

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think that it could eventually do games? Because if we can test homebrew in a virtual environment, that means we already have some basic graphical emulation. And all we would need is input, and a sound engine....
As of right now homebrew does NOT have full graphical capabilities. And neither does the emulator.

thealgorithm

Trophies
XP
Country
and even if there was JIT and full access to the system, it would be underperforming quite a bit for emulation such as gamecube (Switch is underclocked Tegra X1, Even Google Pixel C (cannot handle it too well)

D

Deleted User

aka " i want piracy"
Actually, an emulator is more than just piracy.
Emulators can do the following:
  1. Change Aspect ratio (not that important)
  2. Upscale (kinda cool for games limited by that)
  3. Increase FPS (same as above)
  4. Easy cheat codes
  5. Easy access to saves (they aren't on the console soooo)
Obviously those are far away, but you seem to have a serious problem with jumping to conclusions.

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  4. Easy cheat codes
Obviously those are far away, but you seem to have a serious problem with jumping to conclusions.

piracy
get over it

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  4. Easy cheat codes
The main use of emulators is piracy. Period. You can do more on it, but if you think the main use isn't piracy you are only fooling yourself.

joten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is this a ploy to get piracy? be honest.
The main use of emulators is piracy. Period. You can do more on it, but if you think the main use isn't piracy you are only fooling yourself.
piracy
get over it
aka " i want piracy"
Why are all of you people on this site so hostile?
Especially on this subforum!
There is not ONE thread here that doesn't derail into hatefilled pretentious condescending bickering or insults targeted towards one person.
Does the Nintendo Switch have some kind of effect on the people that browse this site that makes them into such condescending jackasses?

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is not ONE thread here that doesn't derail into hatefilled pretentious condescending bickering or insults targeted towards one person.
Does the Nintendo Switch have some kind of effect on the people that browse this site that makes them into such condescending jackasses?
I don't see how me stating the fact that emulators are mostly used for piracy is in any way "hatefilled" or "condescending". The fact that I gave OP the answer that we have homebrew emulation, and then they proceeded to ask about retail games even kinda shows that they are more after the piracy aspect than the homebrew aspect of it.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp - Where everything is piracy and you'll be attacked with pitchforks.
GBAtemp - Where if you're asking questions like this, you're better off disconnecting your modem
Harsh? Yeah. True? Yup.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GBAtemp - Where if you're asking questions like this, you're better off disconnecting your modem
Harsh? Yeah. True? Yup.
The hostility usually comes when people ask questions that could have been answered if they had just done a quick forum or google search. When half the posts now days are frankly dumb questions that could have been answered by doing a google search or reading through one of the stickied threads, I can see how so many people are becoming hostile. Especially when half of the questions are even being asked repeatedly. It's starting to become where most of the threads in this section are people who can't be arsed to do any kind of research themselves to find the answer.

Like installing CFW on ps3 latest firmware just because possible. Instead of creating threads asking questions, I searched and found answers to every single question I've had so far. I'm now installing homebrew, emulators, and even playing backups. It's a good skill that unfortunately some people don't seem to have.

Last edited by TheCyberQuake,
Reactions: Kioku

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of what you quoted was actually "hatefilled". And it was more because OP tried to not seem like a pirate by saying "for debugging purposes", and then when I gave them an answer that involved actual homebrew debugging they proceeded to say "could it eventually do games". Which isn't for debugging purposes, or homebrew purposes, which usually means piracy purposes. So it came across that OP was doing the thing people do online where they pretend to not be a pirate but are actually a pirate. So people were calling it out as so.

Reactions: Kioku

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
None of what you quoted was actually "hatefilled". And it was more because OP tried to not seem like a pirate by saying "for debugging purposes", and then when I gave them an answer that involved actual homebrew debugging they proceeded to say "could it eventually do games". Which isn't for debugging purposes, or homebrew purposes, which usually means piracy purposes. So it came across that OP was doing the thing people do online where they pretend to not be a pirate but are actually a pirate. So people were calling it out as so.
You're more logical. I just thought it was a stupid question and that there was some ulterior motive. Two types of people in the world. Don't be me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: