A sealed copy of Super Mario 64 managed to sell for a record-breaking $1.56 million dollars

mayrooo.png

Super Mario 64 might be over 25 years old, but the game is still setting records to this day. A sealed copy of the game has just sold for $1.56 million dollars--the most ever for a video game. The reason behind the demand and staggering price of this version of Super Mario 64 was due to its near-immaculate condition. Sealed, and officially rated a 9.8 by grading company Wata Games, meaning it's almost as pristine as the day it left the factory, Heritage Auctions claims that this is the highest-graded copy of Super Mario 64 in the world.

Super Mario 64 - Wata 9.8 A++ Sealed, N64 Nintendo 1996 USA. Well -- we're a bit speechless on this one. What can we even say that would do this copy the justice it deserves? The cultural significance of this title and its importance to the history of video games is paramount, and the condition of this copy is just so breathtaking that we're really at a loss here. If you have had your heart set on obtaining the highest graded copy of the single best-selling video game on the Nintendo 64 -- the first 3D adventure of Nintendo's mascot, Mario -- we only have one piece of advice: this is not an opportunity to waste.

:arrow: Source

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It just says "near-immaculate condition [...] this is the highest-graded copy of Super Mario 64 in the world" but that absolutely does not explain why someone would shell out 1.5 freaking million freaking dollars on it. This market is batshit insane.
The kicker is that this game will *never* be opened and played. Y'know, like it was intended to. It will never, ever fulfill its intended purpose - that cartridge will never reach video game valhalla. One of the many reasons why I hate the "collectors" crowd - I collect myself, but I always actually use the games and consoles I buy, it's what they're for. Preservation ain't worth a damn if you don't get to use the technology you're preserving. I'll get the cheapy copy with the scratched label, please - it's just as good.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I umm...i have...my original pokemon red manual? and strategy guide? 1st edition base set Venasaur and a few pre-releases?

when do I get my million bucks?

Joking. I was a tiny kid when these came out, so I obviously ripped open the box and never looked back. Treated the cartridges right, but...well, watcha gonna do. It is curious as to how many undiscovered sealed games are floating around on this planet of ours.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I umm...i have...my original pokemon red manual? and strategy guide? 1st edition base set Venasaur and a few pre-releases?

when do I get my million bucks?

Joking. I was a tiny kid when these came out, so I obviously ripped open the box and never looked back. Treated the cartridges right, but...well, watcha gonna do. It is curious as to how many undiscovered sealed games are floating around on this planet of ours.
All of my cardboard boxes and manuals are folded along the edges and safely stored in a dry box in the basement. No joke, this includes my Game Boy Color box. I was such a happy kid when I got mine that I didnt have the heart to throw out anything, not even the silly ads that came with it.

Reactions: Xzi

BitMasterPlus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of my cardboard boxes and manuals are folded along the edges and safely stored in a dry box in the basement. No joke, this includes my Game Boy Color box. I was such a happy kid when I got mine that I didnt have the heart to throw out anything, not even the silly ads that came with it.
I wish I was a smart as you when I was a kid. I'm not joking either, since it's good to try and save that stuff as carefully as possible.

Reactions: Xzi

Catastrophic

Perfectly Normal
Trophies
XP
Country
Would you rather:

-Pay 200 dollars for a boxed copy of Super Mario 64 in good condition

OR

-Pay 1.56 million dollars for the same thing except the cardboard box has one fewer scratches on it

idk guys seems like a pretty difficult choice to me...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
i wish i was like you, my kid version ripped and trowed away every box i had of gbc,n64 and gba games, only plastic boxes lived so i only have boxes from ps1/gc/ps2 and up.

i whishi didnt destroyed and trowed away my boxes of old games :S

Last edited by pedro702,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I wish I was a smart as you when I was a kid. I'm not joking either, since it's good to try and save that stuff as carefully as possible.
i wish i was like you, my kid version ripped and trowed away every box i had of gbc,n64 and gba games, only plastic boxes lived so i only have boxes from ps1/gc/ps2 and up.

i whishi didnt destroyed and trowed away my boxes of old games :S
I mean, at the end of the day they're just cardboard. They have some sentimental value, but the real treasure are the memories you have with the device and the games - the sleepless nights playing Pokemon under the covers with a flashlight aimed at the screen, the sick combos you pulled off in Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, wrecking your buddy in Smash Bros. Melee or beating Rainbow Road in Mario Kart: Super Circuit. They're just possessions, it's the memories that you can't put a price tag on...

...certainly not $1.56 million dollary-doos, at least. :V

Reactions: Xzi and pedro702

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
We are reaching uprecedented (in modern history) levels of accumulation of capital in the hands of a few... and I say that as a capitalist. These things don't usually end well.

Reactions: felix.200
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ayo, I too have a perfect mint boxed and sealed copy of Maruo 69 bought day 1 when it released in 1420, it's absolutely not a blank cartridge I downloaded the rom into, can I have my coommillion dollars now?

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you plan to do after you've done spent your rent, car payment, bills, food, gas, lights, child support, college, and house on a damn box that hasn't been open since 96...?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k