about the rom requests

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I know this has been asked many times before but why not put a stop to this once and for all. I have a good idea.

Let's be honest here, about 90%+ of all noobs will most likely not read the rules posted in the forums, they'll just see pics of the latest roms and go "where can I download this?". I'm sure most of us have have done this or replied telling others to read the rules but it's not going to have an affect on many people, the topic will get closed and dissapear into the thousands of other topics never to be seen. (for a noob anyway)
Yes we do supply people with links to sites with roms but come on now how many people would know that gba roms would be in the "gba scene links" section? I actually asked a few people what they thought would be in a link with that title and only 1 of them were able to actually say that it may contain rom links.
The first thing I suggest is to rename the page to something much simpler like "gba links page".
Another idea would be to put an information bar (see below) with some helpful information such as where to find the roms, info on gbatemp2 (like, "make sure to check out *gbatemp2 our backup board*") and where to get the latest emulators etc... The bar could show different information each time you visit the page.

gbalinkspage.gif

djgarf

I Am A Raver
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
i still say the links page should go
rom sites have a tough enough time as it is staying alive without people making nice lists of them which help nintendo no end when it comes to shutting them down

plus the simple fact is u could have a huge banner that flashes saying get the latest releases here and people would still request roms

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hehe I agree with garf... the scene links are horribly outdated and anyone with an sort of intelligence should be able to find GBA roms easily enough. I mean we have a zero tolerance on roms/isos for other formats so I think it's strange that GBA rom links are allowed...

Not only that but it is a risk to GBATemp. Think about it like this... gba-nfo are very strict on the no rom request policy (instant ban if you ask even once) and don't have any sort of "scene links", but even their site is down at the moment and is being investigated for possible copyright violations (and will be down for around a month apparently).

And yes like garf said you could have a huge flashing banner and some people would still ask where to get roms from...

smile.gif

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Lets get rid of it then, I also think that all the links being posted there are all full of crap.
Hahaha make me wonder why we even bother telling them to go there in the first place...

Regal_Warrior

Oh my god. Its the lord of pie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
***vortex has one of the best IRC I've seen, I had absolutely no wait for anything I wanted, so I'd recommend going there.

Anyways, I think that if it's going to be there they should find a way to make it available only to those with over 100 or so posts, so that not just any one can get there. Plus posting rom releases on the homepage is pretty much asking for that horrible question. Maybe they should find another way to handle rom releases, I'm not sure what they should do, but I'm sure they can find something. Though honestly it's all up to them, I guess they might not be sick enough of the requests for rom locations, or they would have done something about it already.

Maybe instead of gba scene links we should put up an IRC forum, kind of like the Complete Release list where only one person can go in a update/post at all. And it should be called NOOBS READ ME!!!!. It will tell them how to use IRC, and give them a few channels, of course it would only list the ones that are always flooded anyways, don't list anyone's favorite ones, such as ***vortex's IRC, right now they're fast, but when they start becoming more known people will go there more often so give the noobs some places that are already to well known, so they can suffer while download roms, that's what they deserve since they only come here to get roms and then leave.

J

janer

if anyone want serious roms they will find them.. so u can get rid of the links on this board...

Puck The Joker

Puck, The Arrogant Phuck
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just get rid of the Scene Links, half of them aren't even up to date or working anymore. Also, incorporate an auto-ban on anyone who uses their first post asking for roms.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it makes the gbatemp site seem like a hypocrite when they tell people not to post rom links, but gbatemp does it themselves.

X-Gamer

GBATemp RPG Master
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I agree, there's not much point in keeping those rom links. We can just keep the other links (those without the roms) in the GBA Scene Links page instead.

Beside, they're nothing but trouble as far as I'm concerned.

Bart Lemming

Gēmu Bōi mikuro
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why don't you have a 'Welcome' page for the first time people log on telling them not to request links and if they do they'll just get banned! I also think the Scene Links section should be cleared of the ROM sites for they're protection and ours
smile.gif

D

Deleted User

i agree with removing the rom-pages links too (not that my agreement counts or anything
tongue.gif
). but the admins should think of another point for the protection of this site.

some of you read this?

gba-nfo @ Sep 1st 2004 said:
... BUT we are concerned with the websites external affiliation with active piracy. ...
does that mean, the easybuy-ad could actually cause trouble too??
frown.gif

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Meh.. just get rid of them. But if you really really want them.. just add them to ur faves now lol.

But yeah... just get rid of them. Its a threat to GBATemp.net we dont need. I dont wanna leave this forum!!

|Wolf|

Lord of the Wolves
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Under each releases with the info about the roms you juts add a link DOWNLOAD HERE.

This page will display a message: "Any roms can downloaded here etc try IRC od else". So when the n00b will click on it they will not have any other choice to read the disclaimer who advise there is any roms here and to do not ask in the forum. If they ask in the forum just ban because there is any reason who prevent them to read the disclaimer.

The only thing they can do is to scream they're innocent because they don't understand alot English...This community have mostly at least 1 member who can speak/write 1 of the language form used on Earth.

Donwload here > who point to a page with the name of the languages > who point to the disclairer in their language. That way GBAtemp is protecting itself against copyrighted stuff and nobody can accuse GBAtemp to distribute the Roms.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo