Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Sloshy: I'm not just talking about end-user support
wink.gif

(and mercluke & marauding were joking about a comment I made on IRC btw, dont flame them)

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Evo.lve said:
modrobert said:
Don't give up hope just yet...

TeamCyclops made me eat my hat once, regarding CycloWiz being possible to upgrade. I think they can pull this off.

You're probably right, but then again, they've fucked themselves up with this, I mean 3DS is round the corner, and there's nothing so special about it that warrants the ~$60 purchase price so close to the 3DS launch.
The DS lifespan doesn't end immediately,I give it about a year or two. They can release a new card if they want to,I mean,people don't just throw away their DS's,who knows,the card might be able to get 3DS compat.

kiafazool

Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Evo.lve said:
modrobert said:

TeamCyclops made me eat my hat once, regarding CycloWiz being possible to upgrade. I think they can pull this off.

You're probably right, but then again, they've fucked themselves up with this, I mean 3DS is round the corner, and there's nothing so special about it that warrants the ~$60 purchase price so close to the 3DS launch.
the only thing that can help them now is making this cheap like 20 bux (yea like thats gonna happen or is it)

now to think of it
users of a dsphat or dslite are going to hate this product
because they wont get that extra ram that the dsi has (only thing this cart suppports)
so dsphat and dslite owners are better off with a dstwo
aren't they?
(this was meant to be a question, so answer it)

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
lolzed said:
Evo.lve said:
modrobert said:

The DS lifespan doesn't end immediately,I give it about a year or two. They can release a new card if they want to,I mean,people don't just throw away their DS's,who knows,the card might be able to get 3DS compat.

99% of people with knowledge of this hobby will be obsessed with their 3DS, IMHO the only people who would still use the iEvo after the 3DS has been established would be the people that didn't know better anyway.

I can already foresee the n00bs complaining about how the SD slot doesn't work.

QUOTE(Snailface @ Dec 20 2010, 03:41 PM)
QUOTE(Costello @ Dec 19 2010, 09:45 PM)
We have received a few new elements of information from resellers and hackers who have participated in the CycloDS iEvolution project and it's not looking too good unfortunately. The recent announcement of a DSi mode flashcart created a certain hype, it's the least you could say, but it turns out it might not be as great as we initially imagined. They would probably not want us to tell you the whole truth but we're going to do it anyway because we consider that you deserve to know the truth just as much as we do (WikiLeaks anyone? *wink*).

First, for those who have already preordered the card, we have received word from a couple of resellers that the card will not ship until the second week of January. It was initially going to be shipped out mid-December but there were delays in production apparently so you will all have to be patient.

There are three new features that this card was supposedly going to offer. DSi mode homebrew was the one most openly advertised by the Cyclops Team and they will deliver when it comes to that, except for one little disappointment- the SD card slot cannot be accessed by homebrew. Unfortunately running homebrew on the DSi will only offer a few extra advantages such as the use of the camera(s) and increased power and RAM, no storing or reading from the SD card (we could have imagined interesting ways to make use of it though: a video player that reads video files from the SD card... but no).

The second of those 3 features was announced officially as "coming later": DSi-enhanced rom support. It's those games that already work on the DS but when played on a DSi those should offer additional features and enhancements. But as it turns out: nobody has got anywhere near being able to run those games in DSi mode on the CycloDS iEvolution. Our inside source tells us that the team is just hoping for hackers to find a way to make it work once the card is released, but they haven't been able to go anywhere near it.

And finally, the last of the 3 features we were expecting: DSiware ROM support. Well don't hold your breath because that will probably never come. Not only DSiware roms have yet to be decrypted (which is a necessary step towards possibly executing those ROMs in the first place), but those games also need to be written and run from the NAND onboard memory of the DSi, which hasn't been unlocked. Our source suggests that there might be a possibility to run DSiware from the SD slot in the future... but it would only be games that you legally downloaded from DSiware.

Note that the Cyclops Team recently issued an update on their website stating that "only USA and European" DSi consoles will be supported, until "our development team has completed the necessary stress testing". Too bad for all our Japanese readers out there, you'll have to wait some more.

All in all, make up your own mind. We at GBAtemp are pretty disappointed as this doesn't look much like the major breakthrough that was announced. The CycloDS iEvolution appears to be a simple upgrade of the regular CycloDS, except working on the DSi and allowing homebrew to use extra system power (and cameras). Wait, don't other cards already pretty much do that? Considering how terrible the past few years have been in terms of support from the Cyclops Team, we are eager to see if they will deliver on that "Superior Technical Support" promise displayed on the card packaging.

But it is still encouraging to see that people are working towards unlocking the DSi. We are confident that other teams will jump on the bandwagon and offer the same DSi mode features. To show our support to the homebrew scene, we are going to unveil a new revamped and surprising version of the Homebrew Bounty. It will be announced in the next few hours or tomorrow.

The review of the CycloDS iEvolution will be published as soon as possible, though they haven't shipped out a sample yet. Stay tuned!
I wonder if Team Cyclops is what's causing Costello's lion to yawn? I bet it's not a coincidence.

I think it's roaring, not yawning.

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Actually, how fast the DS support last depends on how fast the uptake on the 3DS is. Take for example the gameboy micro, all nintendo endorsed accessory disappeared after the begining of 2007 (2 years after they release the micro in 2005). About the same time as the DS came on the market. Most undersold item was the damn faceplate, can't find any anywhere.

titen96

Trophies
Website
www.saves.wikidot.com
XP
Country
United States
how_do_i_do_that said:
Actually, how fast the DS support last depends on how fast the uptake on the 3DS is. Take for example the gameboy micro, all nintendo endorsed accessory disappeared after the begining of 2007 (2 years after they release the micro in 2005). About the same time as the DS came on the market. Most undersold item was the damn faceplate, can't find any anywhere.
funny i got one from a friend with 5 gba games for 15 dollars

Omega_2

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
squirrelman10 said:

but in the end it goes down to what the community is willing to do for each product
^-Someone's thinking logically.
I'm surprised the thread un-derailed itself so quickly. Looks like I'm going to be bored after all.
tongue.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Omega_2 said:
squirrelman10 said:

but in the end it goes down to what the community is willing to do for each product
^-Someone's thinking logically.
I'm surprised the thread un-derailed itself so quickly. Looks like I'm going to be bored after all.
tongue.gif

Okay, well . . . to be honest, I'm still really excited for DSi mode being hacked -- even if it's not to the extent we originally thought. I'll almost certainly still buy the iEVO.

RchUncleSkeleton

Skeletron 9000
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I had no hopes or expectations for this card as I don't own a DSi and I see no use for any of it's "added features". Honestly the cameras are pretty lame and none of the games use the full power of its processor as most 99.9% of them have to be compatible with the DS and DSL. There's nothing you can really do with the SD card slot that can't be done with a DS and a flash card. So I guess the only real advantage, for me at least, are the 2 or 3 DSiWare games that are actually worth a crap, one of which has already been WiiWare for a while now. If I do get a new flash card it'll be either the AK 2i or the DSTWO.

Also I don't think many people care enough about the added power of DSi homebrew to make this even worth making. Seriously, how many people are out there just dying to play some DSi Homebrew?

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
RchUncleSkeleton said:
I had no hopes or expectations for this card as I don't own a DSi and I see no use for any of it's "added features". Honestly the cameras are pretty lame and none of the games use the full power of its processor as most 99.9% of them have to be compatible with the DS and DSL. There's nothing you can really do with the SD card slot that can't be done with a DS and a flash card. So I guess the only real advantage, for me at least, are the 2 or 3 DSiWare games that are actually worth a crap, one of which has already been WiiWare for a while now. If I do get a new flash card it'll be either the AK 2i or the DSTWO.

In case you hadn't noticed, a DSi hardware limitation is that the SD card slot can't be read from once the code to start slot-1 has been executed.

And DSiWare hasn't been hacked.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm....I'm looking for a phrase here...what is it....oh yes.

HA HA!
Nelson_Muntz_rie2.jpg

Looks like the DSTWO will stay on top of the game for a little longer
biggrin.gif

But I'm sure teh cyclo is a good card too, just not the DSTWO-killer it was predicted to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, same