After nearly two decades of Xbox Live, Microsoft renames service to Xbox Network

3D7B67C3-993B-48FB-B3CC-01F79C58A677.jpeg

The start of a new console generation usually comes with a few changes, but this is a pretty major overhaul. Xbox Live, which has been the name of every Xbox console’s online service, ever since the beginning back in 2001 will be no more. Following a beta dashboard update for the Xbox Series X|S, in which every instance of “Xbox Live” had been changed to the “Xbox Network”, news outlet The Verge reached out to the company for clarification. Microsoft confirmed the name change to The Verge, stating that the change intends to differentiate the general online features of Xbox systems from its Xbox Live Gold memberships.

“’Xbox network’ refers to the underlying Xbox online service, which was updated in the Microsoft Services Agreement,” says a Microsoft spokesperson in a statement to The Verge. “The update from ‘Xbox Live’ to ‘Xbox network’ is intended to distinguish the underlying service from Xbox Live Gold memberships.”

:arrow: Source

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So now the service is no longer live...is it prerecorded?

...Doesn't affect me at all, since I don't own an Xbox nor have I purchased that Game Pass thingy; don't see the point, since I already have most of the games I want to play on Steam, Switch, PS4 Pro, PS3, New 3DS XL, emulator. Don't need a monthly bill, is what I'm trying to say.

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It kinda makes sense, but I think it is too little too late.
What it means is that, it is not getting rid of Xbox Live (yet), but the name Xbox Live is just the subscription. The content around is on the network. I think to make it even more comprehensive, they should just change these sections to "My Xbox Profile" instead.

Last edited by Codemastershock,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
IMO this is bullshit. I can understand Playstation Network and Nintendo Network, but Xbox network is just.... bleh. I'm still only gonna say Xbox Live though. (And also call each console after the 360 a new increment of degrees, e.g. XBOne is the 720, Series X/S is the 1080, etc,.)

Reactions: BlazeMasterBM

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xbox live really turned out to be garbage for once being the undisputed king with og xbox and 360 and arguably some of xbox one's life.

GamePass is pretty cool of an idea + selection, and bundled with live, but live by itself these days is not a good deal at all

its a 'deal' to find it at MSRP @ $60/yr.

Can get PSN easily for half that, and PS+ is pretty cool. it's no gamepass, but its not priced at that either

Tweaker_Modding

Siezure Dice™
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
this is a rather pointless and imo terrible change

now all 3 major console online services have network in the name
talk about originality

playstation network
nintendo network (the switch online is known as nintendo switch online but is connected to the nintendo network from the 3ds and wii u)
and now xbox network

xbox live sounds way better and i’ll continue to call it xbox live

Last edited by Tweaker_Modding,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    BigOnYa I had a modified version with texture mods and all kinds of goodies lol https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5g4kxs4UU&t=64s
    Me playing it like 4 years ago on a 2080 Ti lol
    Lol that reminds me I am like 60% sure my step daughter is dead...
    Meth addicts don't move out of a house they are trying to sell and the boyfriend says she moved and does not know where lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was about to be like can't wait for gta6 so @Psionic Roshambo can tell me places to go then you drop that
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But gta6 will be in Psi hometown, and all cars will have a women on the roof, booty shaking.
    +2
    That was a thing here in Florida for a minute
    Like cars with the booty shaking lol I seen it once in person was like smiling lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm talking about visiting areas he hides his bodies at
    Vice City kind of feels like Miami lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, it's a parody iirc
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea think that's where it was supposed to be, Miami
    +1
    Having been to Miami hmmm probably a hundred times lol
    Back in my days as a delivery driver for a cartel well driver slash guy they would send if a payment was forgotten lol
    you know to help them find their checkbook lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gta4 was NewYork or Chicago, gta5 is California
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn camera phones catching crimes
    Always some women screaming... You break a few thousand dollars worth of crap in someone's living room and they scream lol
    lol Ken yeah the things I did as a kid I am soooo glad those didn't exist
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If someone breaks my $20 TV stand their nose is getting broke
    Psi would be doing like 300-3,000 years in prison lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Have some in closet allegations?
    Someone tried to pull a gun on me once, they reached into the couch thinking I wouldn't notice, quick kick to the arm snapping it between the wrist and elbow broke like a swing lol I reached into the couch to see what was in there, cool a free .380 lol had to hit him with it a few times to remind him not to do it again lol
    He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: He had the 20K he owed the very next day it was a miracle lol