Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
QUOTE said:
Intel may be poised to announce its 22nm "Ivy Bridge" Core processors on May 4, with improved, DirectX 11-capable graphics. Meanwhile, model numbers and power consumption details for the chipmaker's upcoming, 32nm "Cedar Trail" Atoms have been leaked by the AnandTech website.

News outlets including CNBC, ZDNet, and VentureBeat have reported receiving invitations to a May 4 press conference to be held by Intel. The chipmaker reportedly has promised "its most significant technology announcement of the year."

While there's no word on exactly what the press conference concerns -- and some new development could come out of left field -- Intel is most likely to discuss its progress in making computer chips smaller (and, hence, cheaper and more economical on power). While most of the company's offerings still have circuitry that's 45 nanometers apart, 32nm devices are also in production, while 22nm and 14nm versions have been promised.

Source
Source 2

Seraph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tonitonichopchop said:
Seraph said:
Aren't these articles almost like 3 weeks old?

If they weren't posted, I don't think it really matters.
The point is that it was news then and now it's not. I guess it is "news" to people who didn't know about it, but then again, people don't know about a lot of things. Although, I have to say this news wasn't very exciting when it was first released.

Chhotu uttam

DOH HO HO HO
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Seraph said:
Tonitonichopchop said:
Seraph said:

The point is that it was news then and now it's not. I guess it is "news" to people who didn't know about it, but then again, people don't know about a lot of things. Although, I have to say this news wasn't very exciting when it was first released.
I guess you are just trolling.
if it was a *much* late news,the topic may have been closed till now.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Tonitonichopchop said:
Seraph said:

Well, this, essentially.

Chhotu uttam said:
QUOTE(Seraph @ May 24 2011, 12:53 PM)
I guess you are just trolling.
if it was a *much* late news,the topic may have been closed till now.
Not agreeing with you =/= Trolling.

I can kinda understand his point of view, but fact is, that we're not a Computer Hardware news site, so it's acceptable to stay behind a little in things like those
wink.gif

As for the main topic, I was going to buy a Sandy Bridge E (LGA2011) for my next computer, but Ivy Bridge with its Tri-gate technology sounds so awesome
frown.gif
Too bad it's gonna be on LGA1155, so too few PCIe lanes for my likings. But USB3.0 directly driven by the chipset is a good thing though... Ah, choices, choices! :/

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Gonna be hard to compete with the AMD Bulldozer chips to be honest, those things are going to eat the current i7's alive.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You can't honestly believe that. Sure, it might make them slightly more competitive in the marketplace, and able to sell through for many business applications outside of consumer PCs (due to cheaper price per unit), but eat the i7 alive? No.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
As for the main topic, I was going to buy a Sandy Bridge E (LGA2011) for my next computer, but Ivy Bridge with its Tri-gate technology sounds so awesome
frown.gif
Too bad it's gonna be on LGA1155, so too few PCIe lanes for my likings. But USB3.0 directly driven by the chipset is a good thing though... Ah, choices, choices! :/

Problem with that though is once the ivy bridge comes out and you get round to buying it they'll announce (unofficially) another one, then you'll want to wait and buy that instead.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just bought a laptop with an old i5 because it was about £200 cheaper. Still expecting it to last me through Uni.

"Tri-Gate" must just help them shrink the die. Lower power better performance is definitely good though. We'll be squeezing more out of laptops very soon.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lilsypha said:
DSGamer64 said:
Gonna be hard to compete with the AMD Bulldozer chips to be honest, those things are going to eat the current i7's alive.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You can't honestly believe that. Sure, it might make them slightly more competitive in the marketplace, and able to sell through for many business applications outside of consumer PCs (due to cheaper price per unit), but eat the i7 alive? No.

Seeing as how the current i7's only beat out the X6 line in the gaming performance department, I would be inclined to disagree that AMD can't top Intel in that portion of computing. The Bulldozer chips are going to be priced around the same as the i7 processors, though the top end 8 core at 320 bucks is slated to have a 4.2Ghz clock speed with Turbo Core active (3.8Ghz stock). Even if single threaded applications are done better on the i7 over Bulldozer chips, AMD will continue to be superior with multi threaded applications.

Seems the Atom will have healthy competition at last though. Gonna be an interesting summer for computer hardware competition.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
People, stop drooling over new and better production processes and amounts of cache and clocks; wait for some benchmarks instead.

Thank you, and good day.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wizerzak said:
QUOTE said:
frown.gif

Problem with that though is once the ivy bridge comes out and you get round to buying it they'll announce (unofficially) another one, then you'll want to wait and buy that instead.
Well, it's that they've promised 30% performance increase on same clocks, and well... that's some MASSIVE improvement. Also, native USB3.0 support looks good.

I know, I know. When I built my current rig there were the First Generation Core iXs coming out, but I ignored them and just went the 775 way. Best choice ever.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL