Suggestion Allow attachments in conversations

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Currently, you can't attach files to messages in private conversations. This can be annoying, especially when collaborating on projects by PM or if sending pictures. Would it be possible for users to be allowed to send messages in conversations with files attached?

Reactions: Zonta85

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder whether the reason this is not allowed is because it would make it easier to share illicit files privately without mods being able to see it. But if people want to do that, they'll just upload the file somewhere and PM the link anyway. So I think there is a case for adding this feature.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I wonder whether the reason this is not allowed is because it would make it easier to share illicit files privately without mods being able to see it. But if people want to do that, they'll just upload the file somewhere and PM the link anyway. So I think there is a case for adding this feature.
The difference would be privately sharing links to an illicit file, and the temp hosting said illicit file.

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
For images use
Code:
[img][/img]
for files in general, why don't you use something like Puush?
I didn't know you could use that tag for images. Does it definitely work in PM?

I've never heard of Puush. I looked on the site though and it said it's for sharing screenshots. Does it work with other files as well?

The difference would be privately sharing links to an illicit file, and the temp hosting said illicit file.
True. Does that make a difference in terms of copyright infringement?

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
True. Does that make a difference in terms of copyright infringement?
Hosting is always worse. Hosting can get your site in SERIOUS trouble, while a link to another site won't (to the same extent).
But yeah, sending links to illicit files in PM are against the rules anyway ;)

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hosting is always worse. Hosting can get your site in SERIOUS trouble, while a link to another site won't (to the same extent).
But yeah, sending links to illicit files in PM are against the rules anyway ;)
True, both are against the rules.

If its hosted in temps servers and they don't notice or do anything about it then they may get in trouble I assume
I would hope that in that situation "doing anything about it" would include immediately removing the file as soon as they were aware of it, and sanctioning the user who broke that rule. I don't know if it works that way though.

I suspect that any moderator response to this request would be that it's too much of a risk. Shame really as it would make things much easier.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Generally speaking the upload facility on the forums is considered a nice perk rather than anything to invest any time in. GBAtemp has an upload facility of some potency, it is called https://filetrip.net/ (and is linked in the user bar as http://gbatemp.net/home/filetrip ). It has facilities to make public galleries and shares, linkable (only those with a link) and private (only you).

Reactions: Seriel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: but,since they're only a few years apart, a morrowind + oblivion series would also be cool