Almost All Flash Kits Blocked Permanently

retrodoctor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still do not see how you are mad at Nintendo for blocking third party, unlicensed add-ons. They blocked illegal flashcarts, and ONE actual peripheral (that refuses to pay Nintendo a licensing fee) that is sold in stores. All Datel has to do is license their product with Nintendo. They probably refuse to pay the licensing fee, so you no longer get to use it. Nintendo waited years before implementing this method. Most likely on purpose. A bit funny how it gets updated close to the release of Pokemon Black/White 2.

This is one of the many reasons I kept my DSLite (that and for GBA). This is just like how Playstation keeps on changing their passphrases for PSN so that the hackers do not get on with modded consoles. If you want to use Nintendo's services (which include firmware and OS updates) then you have to follow Nintendo's rules. It could not be any simpler. Next time, don't blindly update.

you know what mate, please don't reply to my posts any more, I will ignore you, I don't have time for bigots replying to me about mindless rubbish, replying to your posts will get nowhere, if you are so against piracy and lick Nintendo ass why are you at gbatemp? go back to gamefaqs or something, I have better things to do than waste my time with idiots like you.

this is my last post to you, please don't quote me or reply you will be ignored.
Seriously, literally everything about this post comes off as childish and most of it is wrong. You're mad at him foe justifying his point (which is perfectly valid) that nintendo would block 3rd party carts whose main purpose is to run copyrighted games illegally. Also, you call him a bigot for no reason and don't have any justification behind it. I either think you've heard the word and you've tried to convey it as a high ground for your argument, but that's not the way the word is used nor how it's presented.

It's also highly ironic that you call him an idiot for calmly discussing a point after you've used words incorrectly and got upset that Nintendo would do their job and stop people from running pirated games.

TonyMontellanico

Trophies
XP
This may be an obvious question, but I would rather be safe than sorry. My 3DS is two updates behind the latest so I can still use my Acekard, I should be okay even if Acekard releases its own updates, right? And it's never auto updated itself to this day.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You'll have to update if you want to play online or browse the eshop. There are also some games that have mandatory updates (though not many at this point). However, I'm sure the next big nintendo game will require the latest update.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Good thing I have my DSTWO, although it's kinda sad that my Acekard won't work anymore..

Now to check if my R4iGold will work..

About time Nintendo, about time.

And again, all the more reason to hack the 3DS, even a DS-mode hack.

Jan1tor

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't care less if Nintendo blocks flash carts or not, that's why I kept my DS Lite. If I want homebrew or other I'll just use it. There are no hacks for 3DS games anyway. Everyone knows this when buying a flashcart that it may be blocked by an update so it is a buy or use at your own risk. Not really worth getting upset about Nintendo trying to protect the software line for its hardware.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Although I am not entirely convinced flash carts are illegal

The news ones that work with DSi and 3DS are illegal because they contain parts of a commercial game inside them in order to work, and I don't mean inside the user's SD card, I mean inside the flashcart itself.

Source: http://hackmii.com/2...oming-in-3-2-1/

I was aware of that but it seemed one of the key outcomes of Sega vs Accolade and a few similar cases was that using part of a would be copyrighted or trademarked work (logos and such) to bypass protection for your device was a legitimate thing. Given, as far as the end user knows, no assets beyond a icon and name are used (arguably exactly what the case above dealt with) and, probably redundant in light of the earlier part of the sentence, you can not play the faked game or otherwise enjoy anything from it then it would possibly fall under the remit of legitimate use. I would agree it is pushing the scope of the ruling somewhat harder than the original one probably envisaged but I would have equally expected to see people in court; Nintendo seems a bit less sue/law happy than some other companies out there but both Datel and Nintendo are no strangers to the courtroom.

Reactions: 1 person

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although I am not entirely convinced flash carts are illegal

The news ones that work with DSi and 3DS are illegal because they contain parts of a commercial game inside them in order to work, and I don't mean inside the user's SD card, I mean inside the flashcart itself.

Source: http://hackmii.com/2...oming-in-3-2-1/

I was aware of that but it seemed one of the key outcomes of Sega vs Accolade and a few similar cases was that using part of a would be copyrighted or trademarked work (logos and such) to bypass protection for your device was a legitimate thing. Given, as far as the end user knows, no assets beyond a icon and name are used (arguably exactly what the case above dealt with) and, probably redundant in light of the earlier part of the sentence, you can not play the faked game or otherwise enjoy anything from it then it would possibly fall under the remit of legitimate use. I would agree it is pushing the scope of the ruling somewhat harder than the original one probably envisaged but I would have equally expected to see people in court; Nintendo seems a bit less sue/law happy than some other companies out there but both Datel and Nintendo are no strangers to the courtroom.

Except the DMCA makes it illegal to circumvent copy protection and access control mechanisims. I think the only reason Nintendo never sued over it is because of their previous losses against game Genie and unliscensed games.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
In france, and other countries as well, selling flashcart is illegal.
Nintendo sued IRL shops and won.

Maybe another trial would change that but for the moment...

And about DMCA... an American law is not a problem for all the world ;)

Zantheo

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, I have to use a DS Lite in order to patch the R4I 3ds Gold (revision c)?
Isn't there a patcher for these things?

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if it has been said before as I couldn't read all 19 pages...

Nintendo is finally forcing people over the barrel just as Sony and Microsoft have done by forcing people to choose either to stay at an old firmware and not allow you onto the shop without it or to upgrade and lose a ton of capabilities. I hope that the people that can't upgrade aren't forced into losing Netflix or online play like those systems did because of this forced upgrade bullshit!

TheDreamLord

Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Sorry if it has been said before as I couldn't read all 19 pages...

Nintendo is finally forcing people over the barrel just as Sony and Microsoft have done by forcing people to choose either to stay at an old firmware and not allow you onto the shop without it or to upgrade and lose a ton of capabilities. I hope that the people that can't upgrade aren't forced into losing Netflix or online play like those systems did because of this forced upgrade bullshit!
Well if they didn't do this kind of thing, no 3rd parties would develop for the system, therefore this is a good thing, and it will make people work on hacking the 3DS more. All in all I like this update, it shows a nice future and as well, you aren't forced to do it. You get the nice little pop-up asking yes or no.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: so much lightning shit makes valley of bowser from super mario world tame in comparison