Amazon to no longer offer its 20% off pre-order bonus for remasters and remakes

amazon_logo_500500.png

For those in territories where Amazon is a major presence, the online retailer offers discounts when customers pre-order video games. While Amazon in the UK, EU, and Canada have all slowly tried to phase out the bonuses, Americans have been able to pre-order any type of video game, and receive a 20% off discount. Now, however, things are changing. Games that are a remake, remaster, or limited edition will now no longer be eligible under Prime's pre-order 20% off waiver. The new terms and conditions are as follows:

Offer does not apply to certain video game products such as toys to life, collector's editions, re-releases, re-masters, and product bundles including but not limited to console game bundles and accessory bundles.

That means games like Spyro: Reignited Trilogy, Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition, Shenmue 1&2 HD, and many more are excluded now. With the competing service of Best Buy GCU ending this year, Amazon is likely free to remove perks from their program, as consumers don't have another option.

:arrow: Source

Madridi

Card Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
This isn’t anything new.. it’s has been going on for at least a year now.

I don’t buy anything locally, cause it’s just too expensive over here. Everything I buy is through amazon prime, preordered to get the 20% discount. There a lot of games that fit the same criteria in the OP that never got any prime discount.

One more thing they used to have, but not anymore, was that you can buy the game up to 2 weeks after it was released and still get the 20% discount (not an oversight by them or anything, it was part of the terms and conditions). This also doesn’t exist anymore unfortunately.

Well, let’s just hope it doesn’t get any worse, or else I personally have no need to preorder anything. I can just buy them whenever I, or a family member, is in the US

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, you're an imbecile if you preorder. No reason to preorder since majority of games that are not Nintendo release broken now.

Wow, using insults to people who do things you don't agree with or like, how very kind of you. WTF cares what people do as long as it doesn't impose on you or what you do? Nobody should care.
Keep it up. And tell that to people who get special or limited editions of games that would otherwise dry up on launch day if they didn't preorder. Thanks for calling me an imbecile, too. Definitely
will preorder more just to spite you.

Screw you.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, using insults to people who do things you don't agree with or like, how very kind of you. WTF cares what people do as long as it doesn't impose on you or what you do? Nobody should care.
Why do you take everything so personally? You know its true that everything releases broken nowadays. Also, why should a company have your money when the product or game isn't even out?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why do you take everything so personally? You know its true that everything releases broken nowadays. Also, why should a company have your money when the product or game isn't even out?

Amazon doesn't even charge for preorders until the game is shipped, so how is that a problem? I'm taking it personally because you assume anyone who preorders is an imbecile. That's very nice of you. Broken games? What the hell are you talking about? I never had a broken game that I preordered. :rolleyes:

Reactions: chartube12

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazon doesn't even charge for preorders until the game is shipped, so how is that a problem? I'm taking it personally because you assume anyone who preorders is an imbecile. That's very nice of you. Broken games? What the hell are you talking about? I never had a broken game that I preordered. :rolleyes:
That's because you only preorder Nintendo or don't give a shit about quality. Why get so worked up over someones opinion dude?

Reactions: gamefan5

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's because you only preorder Nintendo or don't give a shit about quality. Why get so worked up over someones opinion dude?

I didn't know insults could be passed off as an opinion, but whatever. Amazon doesn't charge money until the game is shipped, you can always cancel before you get charged, you know. I'd
love to hear an instance of a game for Switch being broken, do enlighten me since I'm clearly too stupid to realize all Nintendo games are broken.

Reactions: OctolingRift

Plstic

Guru Meditation Error
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't know insults could be passed off as an opinion, but whatever. Amazon doesn't charge money until the game is shipped, you can always cancel before you get charged, you know. I'd
love to hear an instance of a game for Switch being broken, do enlighten me since I'm clearly too stupid to realize all Nintendo games are broken.
Dude, I never said that Nintendo games release broken. learn to read
No reason to preorder since majority of games that are not Nintendo release broken now.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Good, you're an imbecile if you preorder. No reason to preorder since majority of games that are not Nintendo release broken now.
I like how this comment contains both an anti preorder circlejerk and a pro Nintendo circlejerk.

Oh GBAtemp, don't ever change.

D

Deleted User

This has been a rule for a while now actually, but they don't really enforce it. Last time I saw them put it into practice was on the Bayonetta re-release on Switch but either they backed down or Nintendo gave them the Ok to re-instate the discount later on before it came out.

The Shenmue 1 & 2 rerelease is still eligible for discount so go buy several copies now please.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has been a rule for a while now actually, but they don't really enforce it. Last time I saw them put it into practice was on the Bayonetta re-release on Switch but either they backed down or Nintendo gave them the Ok to re-instate the discount later on before it came out.

The Shenmue 1 & 2 rerelease is still eligible for discount so go buy several copies now please.

Nintendo doesn’t have a contract with Amazon to sell their products officially due to some unrevealed pass issues. So any discounts on unreleased or newer Nintendo products from Amazon are due to amazon willing to take a hit in their wallets.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can still say that after Final Fantasy 13?
Final Fantasy 15 is a quality game, yes. Comparitively medicore to previous iterations but still impressive when you look at current alternative JRPGs. The technology behind the graphics alone is impressive and Square Enix always delivers on interesting, new battle system concepts.

Yes not preordering means you can miss out on some games. I preordered Breath of the Wild and it was canceled because I wasn't fast enough. Some games just go FAST. Limited keys, limited physical boxes.

SonicMC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back to waiting for holiday sales or price drops. Which is what I used to do before these discount programs became a thing.

TheWolfLord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When has Nintendo shipped a broken game? Not defending them but they do not ship broken games.
I see a plumbers jizz on your lips.

Real talk, your criteria for what is worth pre-ordering is kind of wack. Way more things to consider than simply if the game may need patching.

Ontopic: Welp, glad I found this out. No reason to have prime for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: +1