• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

An artist is stripping JK Rowling's name off Harry Potter books and reselling them to fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MCU has started to put out shit films recently when it stated going woke, it still doesn't take away from the fact that it made good movies when Stan Lee was alive an kicking though, I mean FFS - Infinity War and Endgame, how great were they! they were amazing, but the crap that was Captain Marvel or Thor Love and Thunder - WTF were they thinking with that crap??? Still these crap movies don't make the other ones seem any less great, because I know how to seperate those, that's what you need to learn to do.
It was a hard pill for me to swallow to finally just accept that the MCU is never going to be faithful to the canon.

I hated Love and Thunder before it even came out because I hated Jane Foster as Thor.

Then I saw She-Hulk, and immediately felt better about it, because NOTHING could be as fucking godawful as that.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Frankly I want the platform(s) that enable us to know such things that get people to so easily be cancelled from to disappear entirely, we'd all be way better off if the likes of Twitter just shut down for good and never came back.
I'd be happy if the people who claim to not partake in cancel culture to stop partaking in cancel culture.
Post automatically merged:

It was a hard pill for me to swallow to finally just accept that the MCU is never going to be faithful to the canon.

I hated Love and Thunder before it even came out because I hated Jane Foster as Thor.

Then I saw She-Hulk, and immediately felt better about it, because NOTHING could be as fucking godawful as that.
That's how I felt about the Star Wars prequels, until the sequels came out.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I tried to watch the first episode but it was ridiculous so I turned it off. How come the Hulk managed to give her blood? He tried to shoot himself in the head in previous movies, got shot by tanks and missiles etc and never got so much as a scratch.....did he just happen to have some special alloy syringe that day that could punture his hulk skin so he could give her some hulk blood.

I also never watched Ms Marvel, and Moon knight was kind of weird. As for Wakanda Forever.....I can't bring myself to watch it, If I wanted to watch a bunch of black chicks fighting each other I'd just go on youtube and watch them destroy a McDonalds or steal some stuff from a shop - which seems to be all the rage in USA just now.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MCU has started to put out shit films recently when it stated going woke, it still doesn't take away from the fact that it made good movies when Stan Lee was alive and kicking though, I mean FFS - Infinity War and Endgame, how great were they! they were amazing, but the crap that was Captain Marvel or Thor Love and Thunder - WTF were they thinking with that crap??? Still these crap movies don't make the other ones seem any less great, because I know how to seperate those, that's what you need to learn to do.
Ok dude, nothing you're saying is going to make me feel like I'm wrong for recognizing how I don't think the Harry Potter brand is as strong and spot-free as it used to be, thanks in no small part to what the Fantastic Beasts did to the Wizarding World.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok dude, nothing you're saying is going to make me feel like I'm wrong for recognizing how I don't think the Harry Potter brand is as strong and spot-free as it used to be, thanks in no small part to what the Fantastic Beasts did to the Wizarding World.
I think you are relating Fantastic Beasts to the sprawling fucking three-part Hobbit movies.

I saw it as a cash-grab, too. But, as a rabid fan, I would eat up anything that gave me a chance to Expelliarmus one more time.

I'll take another spot of Bilbo, if you please, even if you construct a completely fucking bonkers stoy about Kili being in love with an elf. Dear god, why did this happen? SCHTUPIDEST THING EVAAA!!!

It's the main reason I am excited for Hogwarts: Legacy. If I dig something, I am into it fully, and I can forgive a few bumps and bruises on the fruit.

Hell, I even like Dragon Ball GT.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you are relating Fantastic Beasts to the sprawling fucking three-part Hobbit movies.

I saw it as a cash-grab, too. But, as a rabid fan, I would eat up anything that gave me a chance to Expelliarmus one more time.

It's the main reason I am excited for Hogwarts: Legacy. If I dig something, I am into it fully, and I can forgive a few bumps and bruises on the fruit.

Hell, I even like Dragon Ball GT.
Never saw those Hobbit movies. Did see the Fantastic Beasts movies, all bad in my opinion, each one worse than the last. Makes me reconsider my feelings towards the entire franchise. And it's true, after watching some of the Harry Potter movies again since Fantastic Beasts, I find myself less and less inspired by the series. It's still good, but it's also pretty dumb if I'm completely honest lol.

And hey, I'm with you, I unironically like GT too, it's the worst of the Dragon Ball shows for sure, but it's still decent and has it's own charm.

Reactions: mrdude

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Probably that's because you are older now and not some spotty kid.
I mean I was loving the Harry Potter movies still when I was 28, I used to watch them every year. Then Fantastic Beasts came out, and like flicking a switch, the entire series exposed its lameness to me. Hard to explain, but it's a bummer, and I no longer watch the Harry Potter movies every year, still enjoy it, but my fandom for it is not at all what it used to be. And I'm still a big nerdy fan for plenty of other things. I really doubt age has anything to do with it, I mean hell I still love Adventure Time and watch far too much of it for any normal 35 year old lol.

• Sad
Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I was loving the Harry Potter movies still when I was 28, I used to watch them every year. Then Fantastic Beasts came out, and like flicking a switch, the entire series exposed its lameness to me. Hard to explain, but it's a bummer, and I no longer watch the Harry Potter movies every year.

You just finally grew up. Fantastic Beasts didn't change anything, it just gave you a fresh look at the same silly world that you had outgrown, but clung to like you clung to youth. Happens to all of us with something or other.

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
I mean I was loving the Harry Potter movies still when I was 28, I used to watch them every year. Then Fantastic Beasts came out, and like flicking a switch, the entire series exposed its lameness to me. Hard to explain, but it's a bummer, and I no longer watch the Harry Potter movies every year.
You will probably get back in the zone when you play this.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never saw those Hobbit movies. Did see the Fantastic Beasts movies, all bad in my opinion, each one worse than the last. Makes me reconsider my feelings towards the entire franchise. And it's true, after watching some of the Harry Potter movies again since Fantastic Beasts, I find myself less and less inspired by the series. It's still good, but it's also pretty dumb if I'm completely honest lol.

And hey, I'm with you, I unironically like GT too, it's the worst of the Dragon Ball shows for sure, but it's still decent and has it's own charm.
Listen to the audiobooks as narrated by Stephen Fry.

Trust me.

NO ONE. As in NO ONE, not even Gary Oldman, could replicate this many accents and voices. It is the single best audiobook series I have ever experienced, and is the absolute best way to experience the novels outside of reading them, and maybe even better than that.

Beats the movies bloody. I think this is his best work ever, and probably the best narration in anything I have ever heard.

It's that fucking good. I think most of them are even on YouTube somewhere.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just finally grew up. Fantastic Beasts didn't change anything, it just gave you a fresh look at the same silly world that you had outgrown, but clung to like you clung to youth. Happens to all of us with something or other.
Nah I doubt it. Like I said in my edit, I really doubt age has anything to do with it, I mean hell I still love Adventure Time and watch far too much of it for any normal 35 year old lol. I'll take a thousand more childlike cartoons like Adventure Time over some gritty drama or whatever the hell I'm 'supposed' to enjoy at this age.
Post automatically merged:

Listen to the audiobooks as narrated by Stephen Fry.

Trust me.

NO ONE. As in NO ONE, not even Gary Oldman, could replicate this many accents and voices. It is the single best audiobook series I have ever experienced, and is the absolute best way to experience the novels outside of reading them, and maybe even better than that.

Beats the movies bloody. I think this is his best work ever, and probably the best narration in anything I have ever heard.

It's that fucking good. I think most of them are even on YouTube somewhere.
Oh I have listened to the audioooks. You don't have to tell me how great those were.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
It's not copyright infringement? That makes no sense whatsoever. At the very least, it's a derivative work, and that is covered by copyright law.
if you buy a Volkswagen, remove the badges and emblems and sell it, is it a copyright or patent infringement?

The person is not coping the book, it is cutting and gluing stuff on it. Stationary stores (google translated this, don't know if it is the right term) do this service for ages now, you bring them a book and say "hey, put a blue cover on it", they will do it for you.

Reactions: Hanafuda

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Spoken like someone who has never read a Marvel comic. They've literally always been "woke" and anti-fascist. Female Thor was a story line first created in the 1960s, IIRC.

A laughing emoji won't change the fact that you're clueless and have obviously never been a true fan.

• Haha

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spoken like someone who has never read a Marvel comic. They've literally always been "woke" and anti-fascist. Female Thor was a story line first created in the 1960s, IIRC.
Oh, shut up, little boy. I know that female Thor already existed in several other iterations. I just knew that the specific bent of this particular cinematic movie was far, far away from the original image that was portrayed in the Silver Age of comics.

I feared, correctly, that this movie would just go as woke as they could, just like when they rebooted Ghostbusters with an all-female cast, just like Ocean's 8, just to appeal to the woke mob. And I just wish they didn't have to fuck with good original source material to be able to do this. It's exploitative and it's transparent and it's weak. Terrible storytelling.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh, shut up, little boy. I know that female Thor already existed in several other iterations. I just knew that the specific bent of this particular cinematic movie was far, far away from the original image that was portrayed in the Silver Age of comics.

I feared, correctly, that this movie would just go as woke as they could, just like when they rebooted Ghostbusters with an all-female cast, just like Ocean's 8, just to appeal to the woke mob. And I just wish they didn't have to fuck with good original source material to be able to do this. It's exploitative and it's transparent and it's weak. Terrible storytelling.
Love and Thunder wasn't a very good movie compared to Ragnarok, mostly because unneccessary cuts for time were made, but I struggle to see what exactly was so "woke" about it. Spoiler alert: Jane Foster didn't even live through the movie. If Marvel really wanted to piss you off, they would've killed off Hemsworth's Thor instead and made Jane the new Thor by default.

If "woke" has just become an adjective to describe any movie co-featuring a woman or non-white protagonist, then that demonstrates how far off the deep end your ideology has truly gone.

Last edited by Xzi,
  • Haha

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you buy a Volkswagen, remove the badges and emblems and sell it, is it a copyright or patent infringement?

The person is not coping the book, it is cutting and gluing stuff on it. Stationary stores (google translated this, don't know if it is the right term) do this service for ages now, you bring them a book and say "hey, put a blue cover on it", they will do it for you.

Excellent analogy. This artist isn't claiming to have written the story or created the book, he's just making just a new "container" for it.

TraderPatTX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love and Thunder wasn't a very good movie compared to Ragnarok, mostly because unneccessary cuts for time were made, but I struggle to see what exactly was so "woke" about it. Spoiler alert: Jane Foster didn't even live through the movie. If Marvel really wanted to piss you off, they would've killed off Hemsworth's Thor instead and made Jane the new Thor by default.

If "woke" has just become an adjective to describe any movie co-featuring a woman or non-white protagonist, then that demonstrates how far off the deep end your ideology has truly gone.
Woke also means that non-white actors are no longer given villain roles.

https://redstate.com/alexparker/202...s-hollywood-only-wants-white-villains-n687269

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
  • Haha
Status