• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

An artist is stripping JK Rowling's name off Harry Potter books and reselling them to fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One of the people I hate the most is the tv show writer Graham Linehan. He is one of the most transphobic people in existence yet two of my favourite TV shows were written by him.

In life you need to somtimes just separate the art from the artist.
True, I bet there are some really damning stories lost to time from much older beloved artists from long before every little piece of information was getting archived as it does today. For all we know, there are some really godawful stories about Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, etc. etc. But we don't know those stories, so we just appreciate the art as we always have.
Post automatically merged:

THe fact remains that Ms. Rowling has still done absolutely NOTHING wrong and has said absolutely NOTHING that is not scientifically, factually true.

Not once did she denigrate anyone in her books. The only people who did that shit were her paralells to the Nazis, the Death Eaters, who saw Mudbloods as lesser wizards, and humans as not even human at all. And what happened to them?

JK Rowling did absolutely nothing wrong. Just because there are folks out there suffering from gender dysphoria doesn't mean that she is a bad person for saying that only women menstruate. This is demonstrably true, and if this scientific fact triggers you, YOU just might be the problem, not her.
That's not really the issue, it's not about these things being factual or not. People have opinions, and many don't like her stance on those issues. They have just as much of a right to reject her as she has to share those thoughts.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With or without the author's name, she is get the money of the book sold, so If you really want to punish the author, get an illegal PDF and print yourself.
I don't believe the point really is to punish the author. It's just for the people that like the books in question but don't like what's become of the author. They still want to properly own the books, but they don't want to see her name on their bookshelf. At least that's how I perceive this.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
True, I bet there are some really damning stories lost to time from much older beloved artists from long before every little piece of information was getting archived as it does today. For all we know, there are some really godawful stories about Van Gogh, Picasso, Monet, etc. etc. But we don't know those stories, so we just appreciate the art as we always have.

That's not really the issue. People have opinions, and many don't like her stance on those issues. They have just as much of a right to reject her as she has to share those thoughts.
You're not really "rejecting" someone if you are trying to capitalize off of their name and their work.

This "artist" would have nothing to sell if he wasn't literally and figuratively ripping off someone else and trying to make a buck.
This man knows what he is doing. Just cashing in on a bigger name than his, hoping stupid people give him money.

JK Rowling already made hers when he bought her book to deface.

Reactions: mrdude

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
One of the people I hate the most is the tv show writer Graham Linehan. He is one of the most transphobic people in existence yet two of my favourite TV shows were written by him.

In life you need to somtimes just separate the art from the artist.
I started reading this an thought you were going to say Graham Norton, then I would have agreed, he is a poncy little annoying mincer. But alas Graham Linehan, I thought the IT Crowd and Father Ted were funny, and his only "crime" was tweeting “men aren’t women tho,”, which is a factual statement. men are men and women and women. Then you have the pretenders that pretend they are something they are not.

I don't start talking to a schizophrenic's make believe people to make them feel better, and I sure as hell ain't going to start gaslighting men or women into believing they are something they are not either - which isn't a crime in case you were unaware.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not really "rejecting" someone if you are trying to capitalize off of their name and their work.

This "artist" would have nothing to sell if he wasn't literally and figuratively ripping off someone else and trying to make a buck.
This man knows what he is doing. Just cashing in on a bigger name than his, hoping stupid people give him money.

JK Rowling already made hers when he bought her book to deface.
If I bought one of these books, it would be to reject having her name on my bookshelf, while still welcoming the books into my life. She could still get paid for the book in question all the same, there is more than one way to reject someone like this.

• Haha
Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Jokey_Carrot

G̶B̶A̶T̶e̶m̶p̶ ̶A̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶ Heroin Addict.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Man Idc about Rowling's views on Trans rights but Harry Potter is Mid af. Like read another book god damn.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I bought one of these books, it would be to reject having her name on my bookshelf, while still welcoming the books into my life. She could still get paid for the book in question all the same, there is more than one way to reject someone like this.
Fred Rogers, of Mr. Rogers fame, sang lots of songs where he taught young boys and girls that only girls can grow up to be women, and only boys can grow up to be men.

Do you want this saint of a person to be cancelled, as well? Is he also Hitler?

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fred Rogers, of Mr. Rogers fame, sang lots of songs where he taught young boys and girls that only girls can grow up to be women, and only boys can grow up to be men.

Do you want this saint of a person to be cancelled, as well? Is he also Hitler?
When did I say I wanted anyone cancelled? I'm openly saying I'm cool with Rowling still getting her money from these books, and the people that want them on their shelves without her name should hopefully be able to recognize that she still gets paid, unless the books were stolen lol.

You can't be serious with this, she's a woman talking about women's issues and you think she's unqualified. Who exactly is qualified then.
I didn't say she couldn't talk about trans-issues. I just said I think she was a fool to, and given all the backlash all these years later that continues to happen against her, I would say I'm correct in that assessment.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When did I say I wanted anyone cancelled? I'm openly saying I'm cool with Rowling still getting her money from these books, and the people that want them on their shelves without her name should hopefully be able to recognize that she still gets paid, unless the books were stolen lol.

I didn't say she couldn't talk about trans-issues. I just said I think she was a fool to, and given all the backlash all these years later that continues to happen against her, I would say I'm correct in that assessment.
Let's look at WHY it would have been foolish for her to speak abou WOMEN'S ISSUES, as a woman.

Not because she wasn't correct and right. Because of cancel culture. THAT is why it would have been foolish, and has proven to be, for an actual woman to talk about issues relating to actual women. Not because SHE was wrong. Because the people against her are absolutely in the wrong, Scientifically and morally.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's look at WHY it would have been foolish for her to speak abou WOMEN'S ISSUES, as a woman.

Not because she wasn't correct and right. Because of cancel culture. THAT is why it would have been foolish, and has proven to be, for an actual woman to talk about issues relating to actual women. Not because SHE was wrong. Because the people against her are absolutely in the wrong, Scientifically and morally.
It was foolish because it's alienated a shit ton of her fans, and has probably lost her some sizable revenue for the series because of it. That's all it comes down to. She may be a woman, but her claim to fame is being an author. I'm not going to George Clooney to learn how to shave a beard lol, see what I'm saying? As a dude who could probably grow a beard, he may have insight... but why would he of all people be the one to go to? And on top of that, why would he feel compelled to even speak on it to begin with?

Reactions: The Catboy

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was foolish because it's alienated a shit ton of her fans, and has probably lost her some sizable revenue for the series because of it. That's all it comes down to. She may be a woman, but her claim to fame is being an author. I'm not going to George Clooney to learn how to shave a beard lol, see what I'm saying? As a dude who could probably grow a beard, he may have insight... but why would he of all people be the one to go to? And on top of that, why would he feel compelled to even speak on it to begin with?
While I get what you are saying, and am fascinated by the source of the reference, I think we're talking about two sides of the same building.

I am lamenting the state of society that exists in which a beloved author would even have to worry about their legacy being tarnished because they offended a bunch of silly folks who don't understand the scientific and irrefutable FACT that only women and females are capable of menstruation.

It's sad and beyond pathetic that speaking this simple truth COULD cause someone's reputation and legacy to be in jeopardy. Do you get what I am saying?

We're not going to cancel Stephen King if he says that the Earth is round and not flat. You won't see a die-hard flat-Earther out there feverishly scrubbing his name off of a hardbound copy of 'The Stand'.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The users you are arguing with have always been bad actors and will always manipulate what other people are saying. I say this because they are just going to give you dishonest arguments in an attempt to rationalize their hateful positions.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I get what you are saying, and am fascinated by the source of the reference, I think we're talking about two sides of the same building.

I am lamenting the state of society that exists in which a beloved author would even have to worry about their legacy being tarnished because they offended a bunch of silly folks who don't understand the scientific and irrefutable FACT that only women and females are capable of menstruation.

It's sad and beyond pathetic that speaking this simple truth COULD cause someone's reputation and legacy to be in jeopardy. Do you get what I am saying?

We're not going to cancel Stephen King if he says that the Earth is round and not flat. You won't see a die-hard flat-Earther out there feverishly scrubbing his name off of a hardbound copy of 'The Stand'.
I mean you're lamenting it, while I'm questioning why we would want that? It's like those damn awards shows, where the actors go up, say all of their thanks, and then start to go on some tangent about a political issue of some sort. Like bitch, we're here to celebrate your part in the movie, nobody was asking about politics, certainly not from you of all people, and certainly not now.

If it's not evident, I'm the kind of person that rejected Twitter from day one. I don't care what celebrities are thinking about throughout their day, why on earth should I, or anybody for that matter?

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The users you are arguing with have always been bad actors and will always manipulate what other people are saying. I say this because they are just going to give you dishonest arguments in an attempt to rationalize their hateful positions.
I have yet to see any hate expressed on this remarkably polite thread. If you have detected any, could you point it out for me?

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP

Maybe if more people stood up to these cancel culture types, the only people that would be cancelled would be the one's doing the whining and the ones trying to cancel others. I am glad that women are standing up for women and JK Rowling, Sydney Watson, Jordan Peterson, Kellie-Jay Keen-Minshull and others like them are standing up to these bullies that want to try to turn everyone into mindless mutants and to silence them - well to those people I say "Fuck you!", we will never be silenced, we will tell you exactly what we think about your idiotic views and everytime you try to shut us up or cancel us our resolve will become even stronger. You've already lost the war, you're heads just too far up your own arse that you can't see this.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean you're lamenting it, while I'm questioning why we would want that? It's like those damn awards shows, where the actors go up, say all of their thanks, and then start to go on some tangent about a political issue of some sort. Like bitch, we're here to celebrate your part in the movie, nobody was asking about politics, certainly not from you of all people, and certainly not now.
You know, I like your outlook on this. Confine the art to the actual work, not the person. That's a tough one for me.

I deleted Hulk Hogan from my copy of WWE 2K15 because of his racial slurs after being a lifelong fan. Stopped listening to anything from Snoop Dogg after his racist comments during one of the recent presidential elections. I have no problem deading artists if they prove themselves to be shite people in real life.

I do not believe that saying "Only women can menstruate" could possibly be taken as an expression of hate, and I think it's silly for people to attack her for saying that. I would GET IT if she deserved it.

I just think it's funny that the same people who literally Stan'd for her and formed ranks behind her to support her when she got attacked for "making Dumbledore gay" immediately turned on her and tried to destroy her for saying that only females are capable of having periods. A fickle bunch, the Rainbow Nazi Brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: and the lightning is frequent, so my power will most likely go out