And now for something completely different...

TheSpade

OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Been awhile since I done a blog entry, since the last one was...ugly. I've decided to put it into the past and move on. I hope everyone else involved does the same. Just a warning to share: If anyone decides to bring that back up again, then expect it to be moderated. It's over. Now, moving onto a few recent developments to the scene as well as some conversations that have been in my presence:

Nintendo's Recent Anti-Piracy Movements:

According to some news articles linked over at MaxConsole, Nintendo has been making moves in both Europe and Australia recently in regards to shutting down stores that sell flash cards in order to curtail the efforts of piracy upon the Nintendo DS. Their latest argument is that most flash cards use illegally utilized code which is copyrighted by Nintendo in order to function. I believe that I speak for others who have long understood the presence of this code within flash cards when I say to Nintendo: "What the hell took you so long?!"

Based solely on the claims by Nintendo of the illegal code being contained in various flash cards, they are seemingly making no worthwhile effort against any flash cards manufacturers, but I expect that to be a step taken in the near future. Speculatively, any card that does not auto-boot with this code is clear of such claims. They are DS-Xtreme from Team DS-X which has been long-abandoned by even the team. Another is Acekard 2 which is well received among the masses. To my outlook, the most notable product is CycloDS. There are likely other products that also fall under this umbrella of "Not me!", but the point is that these cards may be safe from the present cloud of scrutiny. Don't mistake this as a shield from future inquiries by Nintendo, folks.

So, if your current flash card auto-boots, then with Nintendo's recent comprehension of how to pull products out of stores, you too may soon find your current choice(s) failing to see future updates and possibly discontinuing. However, this is not a definite statement forecasting the demise of these companies or even the product lines. We haven't seen Nintendo address any single product besides R4, and that will likely develop further. Also, the companies, such as GBAlpha, Supercard and others, can simply redesign their flash cards to no longer incorporate the code. It's likely they have been working to do so for sometime.

DSi:

We get to see this bad boy debut Friday. That is, if you have the money to pay for it plus the gouging import retailers are slapping on them. It tentatively comes out in April here in the states, and since I haven't seen any DSi-specific titles that make me stand up and say "Da'am!", I'm in no hurry. You shouldn't be either. Besides, I'm certain that the real question that everyone has about it will be answered shortly: Which flash cards work on the DSi? C'mon, that's what everyone really cares about right now.

Fan-Translation Groups:

This is such a great time to be into DS (and GBA) in regards to seeing fan groups translating some great titles that would never likely see the light of day in the English-speaking world. With titles, such as Tales of Innocence, XenoSage I·II and much more, coming soon as well as already established translations, like Mother 3 and Soma Bringer, it's indeed a great period to be a DS owner. My sincere thanks go out to all of those who work tirelessly out of their own personal time in order to provide entertainment that would be reserved for those who are fluent in Japanese. Too bad you can't put the patches on the real game cartridges. I'd be calling an import shop..today!

Sega publishing The Conduit on Wii:

WOO! Now, how about when I'm going to see the social life take another dive? Wait, my friends know about my Wii and the game...damn it! They better bring chips this time!

Wikipedia Editting:

I have been busy cleaning up and adding dozens of titles to the Wikipedia List of Nintendo DS Wi-Fi Connection games, as it was extremely out of date and in poor shape with inaccuracies and missing information. I should have it 100% up to date soon. Seems we still have plenty of forthcoming DS titles bearing online play in some form or another. I'm a bit distressed that there are so many Disney games out or coming soon that only benefit Dgamer avatars. I am sure that the young children appreciate this bonus, but is it really that popular? A couple of staff members have asked me to port this entry over to the GBATemp Wiki. I'll likely do so soon for all members here to benefit among other entries that I am considering.

Don't forget to check out my DS - GBA Linkage Guide and the NEO·DS Conversion Guide that I have placed here at GBATemp.

Why am I against piracy?

Why aren't you? Seriously.

Bad GBATemp IRC Channel Issues:

It's been a bumpy road so far. Without naming names, we now have two members of the forum who have been banned for life in IRC. There are several who are experiencing suspensions. In addition, there is a work-in-progress dual punishment system in the works. This means that if you misbehave in one arena, you will suffer being silent at the other. We, the ops and site staff, are taking this matter quite seriously. Just because some people do not is not any reason to debate. Again, the issue here is simple: Follow the rules or see yourself out. Don't like it? Don't come in. You can always go back to EFNet. For some of you, that's what we prefer you do forever.

Good GBATemp IRC Channel Issues:

We've been seeing some long-time friends as well as new users coming into IRC. The channel is doing much better population and participation-wise since moving from EFNet to our own network. We're starting to see a trend of people helping the novice members more so (without the asswipe responses of "read the manual"). We're also seeing more sensible and healthy conversations. Again, this isn't EFNet, and we do realize it will take more time for even regular members to realize that the lack of enforcement is a thing of the past. We ask all of those who come to IRC to remember that it's not difficult to show simple courtesy and respect to even though who say their flash card is better than yours or that modding a Wii is wise or foolish. Enjoy your time here, and help those who are having difficulty if you can, please. I am also hopeful to see our Wi-Fi nights improve further. Don't forget that it's every weekend!

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:]

i didnt know you were against piracy
question: howd you end up on GBAtemp if youre antipiractic (not a word but you get the point)?
not trying to be mean or anything. just a question out of curiosity

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
I support piracy!!
tongue.gif

And wow nintendo is really angry this time
nyanya.gif

Mei-o

Generic Asian Kid™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wow, time flies real fast! The day the DSi was announced felt just like yesterday and tomorrow it's gonna be released! The DSi questions are finally going to be answered!

TheSpade said:
Why am I against piracy?

Why aren't you? Seriously.
Because it takes away a good chunk of our allowances that could have just been saved for future use and emergency funds and also because the 'less fortunate' should not be deprived of the fun the amazing console the Nintendo DS offers.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
as the users above me so eloquently put, if you're against piracy, why are u here? o.O
yes we have an awesome community, but to first discover this site, you must have had SOME interest in piracy, no?

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
as the users above me so eloquently put, if you're against piracy, why are u here? o.O
yes we have an awesome community, but to first discover this site, you must have had SOME interest in piracy, no?
Whether they appeal to you or not, there are uses for flashcarts besides piracy.

Why indirectly insult someone's integrity by questioning their motivation? Because whether you know it or not, you just did. TheSpade is here for whatever reason he wants to be here, same as you and I.

Good communities are built around respecting other people's opinions, whether you agree with them or not.

Not trying to single you out da_head. I'm probably misinterpreting the intent of your post in the first place. I just see no reason why this thread needs to devolve into some kind of piracy argument that will eventually lead to another flame war. There's too much of that around here lately.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe