Hacking Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Android on the Switch might not be necessary, but it would be nice to use the Switch as a more general tablet. After all, who wants to carry around their Switch AND a tablet just so they can browse the web, watch videos, chat etc. on a bigger screen than their phone? Android on the Switch is a good idea for the same reasons that owning a tablet when your phone can run the same apps is a good idea, and if you're like me then you already bring your Switch with you so you don't have to carry anything extra.
Also, while you can in theory do a lot of the same things just through homebrew, the Android offerings will always be more feature rich and polished, just as a result of having a much bigger community and having existed for much longer.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

XC-3730C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very nice! I remember asking about Android on Switch, and sure enough, there was someone who had the "why would you want to do that" attitude.

I am pleased to see the progress of Android on Switch, as I knew it would one day be a reality, as Android opens up so many possibilities, and emulation is well established on that platform.

That would be so sweet to see the Switch running Android on the TV while docked. It would make a great stream device!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
would there ever be a way (lakka too) to reboot to a payload?
So you could go atmosphere > reboot to payload (android)
then when you're done reboot to payload (atmosphere)?
;

D

Deleted User

No Android should not get ported to the switch and it's not that easy. Without source code for the switch and drivers it won't work. It's a waste of time

And I can guarantee you that Nintendo will not release the kernel source for the switch.

Kill this crap thread

1. Android is open source
2. Drivers are avaiable in the internet

Darksabre72

Blue Falcon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android on the Switch might not be necessary, but it would be nice to use the Switch as a more general tablet. After all, who wants to carry around their Switch AND a tablet just so they can browse the web, watch videos, chat etc. on a bigger screen than their phone? Android on the Switch is a good idea for the same reasons that owning a tablet when your phone can run the same apps is a good idea, and if you're like me then you already bring your Switch with you so you don't have to carry anything extra.
Also, while you can in theory do a lot of the same things just through homebrew, the Android offerings will always be more feature rich and polished, just as a result of having a much bigger community and having existed for much longer.
Heck i'm glad about this. seems like a lot of people said there is no use for an android OS on a switch, and this is a great reason why we need one.

Last edited by Darksabre72,
Reactions: Csmrcc

Zumoly

GBATemp Analyst
Trophies
XP
Country
Mali
Some pros:
- Better standalone emulators like Drastic, Robert Broglia emulators, Project 64, ePSXe, Standalone PPSSPP (better than retroarch's version).
- Some decent Android games
- Web browser/media apps and communication like Skype
- Customization

Will the Switch be able to handle so much goodies? It might have an identity crisis!

Reactions: Csmrcc

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
So you could go atmosphere > reboot to payload (android)
then when you're done reboot to payload (atmosphere)?
;
First one is already possible (ATM 0.8.4). Second one is not impossible, but will be hard to get this to work for Switch for now (there is already something like this in x86 Android ports where you can reboot to Windows directly, but they are working on different principle than Switch :D).

Last edited by masagrator,

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
First one is already possible (ATM 0.8.4). Second one is not impossible, but will be hard to get this to work for Switch for now (there is already something like this in x86 Android ports where you can reboot to Windows directly, but they are working on different principle than Switch :D).

I know it's possible, that's why i said atmosphere reboot to android (then hypothetically Android to atmosphere ;)

Techjunky90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some pros:
- Better standalone emulators like Drastic, Robert Broglia emulators, Project 64, ePSXe, Standalone PPSSPP (better than retroarch's version).
- Some decent Android games
- Web browser/media apps and communication like Skype
- Customization
All of the emulators you listed would run better in horizon because horizon as an operating system uses less resources than android. All comes down to developers putting in the time.

Reactions: Mambila2001

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay