Another Wii Update

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
awofadeju said:
It turns out Wii Brew have a strange sense of homour. That's right folks, they've stated it was a "hilarious" hoax - an April fools joke. Maybe they should check their calender once in a while.

Anyway, I guess an apology from me to you is in order. BUT, that's not to say Nintendo wont update the Wii to stop the Freeloader, so just be extremely careful when you update the Wii.

All ic an say is WTF WTF ..now i dunno what to belive now =/

I don't think so. Wiki vandalism was reverted.

Luke NL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shouldn't the news update, to tell us it's safe? I'd also like to hear some confirmations. (Europeans downlaoding the update
smile.gif
).

kallekall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure if the update contain the Trucha fix or not, but I believe it do. I will wait even if it's not activated. If it's there and not activated, could it not be set to be activated on a certain date? If it's there, and is activated by for example Mari Kart, and it is possible to remove the Trucha fix, I believe it might be more easy to remove it before then after it been installed on the Wii.

If it shows up that the whole thing is a hoax, then I have lost noting. If it is not possible to remove, then I have lost nothing. To be frank, I don't see why I should update yet. The update is not yet needed, right?

Bloodlust

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Ahhh.. to hell with all this speculation. What I think is if someone can write a program to remove duplicate channels based on the trucha bug. Surely sooner or later some genius can code one to upload modified firmware.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Bloodlust said:
Ahhh.. to hell with all this speculation. What I think is if someone can write a program to remove duplicate channels based on the trucha bug. Surely sooner or later some genius can code one to upload modified firmware.
Attention, just some noob though :

The channel removing method made me wonder this too :
Does the firmware (IOS) is signed for 1 Wii only, or is the same for every Wii ?
can we extract files from Wii flash memory to SD card or USB?
And can we install extracted firmware on another Wii ?

1- Extract IOS36/37 (the one for WiiWare without the Trucha fix), each files are kept individually on the Wii, right ?
2- install it on Wii without the WiiWare update, without modifing the firmware which is signed, to have a WiiWare enable Wii
smile.gif

OR

- Delete ISO37 with Trucha fix for people who did the final update, which is not activated yet by the Wii Menu?
But it might be registered in a wii config file as already downloaded, so deleting this file could make the Wii not booting or not updating it later :/

Another noob wondering :

Is there someone with firmware datas from nintendo update site (extracted by sniffing network transfer with Etheral while updating)?
if we can put the updating file on computer, and use a proxy to redirect the update URL to the local file (PS3 proxy update method), will the Wii install it correctly ?

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
Bloodlust said:

That program doesn't depend on the trucha bug, it uses the Zelda exploit.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wiibrew said:
At that point, "homebrew channels" would be considered "invalid" by the system. marcan now contends that having one installed and going to an update using IOS37 will brick your Wii, giving a "The system files are corrupted" message.
I just performed some magic and confirmed that having the homebrew channel installed and installing an update to the system menu that uses the IOS37 will brick your wii, unless Nintendo specifically addresses this problem in a new system menu. There is a simple way of avoiding this: simply delete the channels before updating.

OMG. That's mean from Nintendo
ninja.gif

Source: http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mr.kuchinawa said:
This is probably a stupid question, but japanese dual channels will not cause a brick, right?
Who knows. They should not, as they've seen as "system channels" from the Wii, and they're signed and have a valid signature by Nintendo.

It's just speculation, though. Although I think that Team Twiizers would say something, if that was the case.

Gus122000

Trophies
XP
Country
raulpica said:
Wiibrew said:
At that point, "homebrew channels" would be considered "invalid" by the system. marcan now contends that having one installed and going to an update using IOS37 will brick your Wii, giving a "The system files are corrupted" message.
I just performed some magic and confirmed that having the homebrew channel installed and installing an update to the system menu that uses the IOS37 will brick your wii, unless Nintendo specifically addresses this problem in a new system menu. There is a simple way of avoiding this: simply delete the channels before updating.

OMG. That's mean from Nintendo
ninja.gif

Source: http://wiibrew.org/index.php?title=IOS37
I just read that now.So if i update it right now.It will not have any effect? So could i just update my wii with this update and just after that not update anymore ?
I feel so tempted to update because i want to play Final fantasy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety