Any chance of seeing those Fallout 1CE/2 CE ports on Switch?

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure about community edition but Fallout 1 has already been ported to the switch. You can find it on places I can not name here.
Thanks for the info! It's available on the "2u" site (can't give full name here), it's the original version set up to run in dosbox via retroarch, with the controls all set up and an nsp forwarder by the looks of it. Haven't tested yet but should be a reasonable way to run it on Switch if nobody ports the CE.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So I tried running Fallout 1 in dosbox-svn, and the performance didn't feel great tbh, not too smooth.

What I've got now is fallout1-ce built for Switch Linux, I fixed a bug for duplicated cursor movements with the touchscreen, it's still a bit funny about registering a click when you start a movement on the touchscreen but it seems playable, only with touchscreen for mouse movements so far, controller support would be more work. Or you can use an actual mouse if it's connected and working on your Switch before you run the game.

If you're running Linux on your Switch, you can copy the files from a Windows version of Fallout 1 into a directory on your Switch, then put these files in the same directory and run fallout-ce. I've included config files for the screen resolution and the right file paths, tho you can edit the paths in fallout.cfg if they don't match your version of the game, and you can set subtitles=0 if you don't want subs on the videos (they were off by default, I turned them on).

edit: Added a newer build which disables input from a real mouse, in order for touch input to work correctly, so you don't get a false click when you start moving the cursor. This problem is caused by the messy way the game handles input, combined with a weird quirk/possible bug of SDL2, and I haven't found a clean way to work around it so this will do me for now. Use the "disable real mouse" build if you want to play with touchscreen, use the other build if you want to use an actual mouse.

edit edit: newer one with newer video fix (and real mouse still disabled)

Attachments

• fallout1-ce switch linux.zip
    590.6 KB · Views: 4
  • fallout1-ce switch linux disable real mouse.zip
    590.7 KB · Views: 6
  • fallout-ce newer switch linux disable real mouse.zip
    591.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by hippy dave,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@hippy dave

Are you also going to prepare Fallout 2 CE for Linux/Switch? As soon as I install Linux on Switch, I will test your F1CE. Is there a chance to convert it to HOS?
Once I've finished fiddling with 1CE for linux, I may try 2CE for linux next. I'm currently trying to stop it from always detecting the start of a touch as a mouse click, even if you're just trying to move the cursor.
There's a possibility I might try porting to HOS once I'm done with fixes, but anyone else is welcome to do so in the meantime, and make use of said fixes which should apply there too.
Post automatically merged:

Can't bump but added new build above

Last edited by hippy dave,

Herbaciarz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Once I've finished fiddling with 1CE for linux, I may try 2CE for linux next. I'm currently trying to stop it from always detecting the start of a touch as a mouse click, even if you're just trying to move the cursor.
There's a possibility I might try porting to HOS once I'm done with fixes, but anyone else is welcome to do so in the meantime, and make use of said fixes which should apply there too.

Can't bump but added new build above

I'll check when I have some time :)

• Love
Reactions: hippy dave

Herbaciarz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I checked both versions and had a few problems:

1) Files by default do not have the "Allow executing file as program" option enabled and I had to spend some time figuring out why it doesn't work.

2) In both files, the left or right analog stick does not work as a mouse

3) I have a problem with the video - strange graphic glitches - maybe I need to install some codecs? I don't know much about Linux. -> fall.jpeg

4) Does it support other languages besides English?

I ran Fallout CE on Vita and 3DS and the Polish language worked, but I have a problem - I tried to force it by changing the language in the configuration file to: pol, polish, pl - the game turns off after the splash screen.

Attachments

• fall.jpeg
    fall.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by Herbaciarz,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I checked both versions and had a few problems:

1) Files by default do not have the "Allow executing file as program" option enabled and I had to spend some time figuring out why it doesn't work.

2) In both files, the left or right analog stick does not work as a mouse

3) I have a problem with the video - strange graphic glitches - maybe I need to install some codecs? I don't know much about Linux. -> fall.jpeg

4) Does it support other languages besides English?

I ran Fallout CE on Vita and 3DS and the Polish language worked, but I have a problem - I tried to force it by changing the language in the configuration file to: pol, polish, pl - the game turns off after the splash screen.
Hi mate, thanks for the feedback!

1) Sorry about that, I had zipped the files and uploaded them on my Mac, maybe the execute flag got lost in the process. This time I zipped the file straight from the Switch, so maybe that'll work better?

2) Yeah I mentioned that it's only playable with touchscreen so far. Switch Linux's mouse emulation doesn't work for it, and controller support isn't added yet, tho that's next on my list to try when I get the chance, found some code to try to borrow from the Vita port.

3) I've got another video fix in the newest build, it's on the same post above with the other builds and it says "newer" in the filename. Let me know if that fixes it for you, it's working here.

4) I don't see documentation regarding fallout1-ce's language support, but I tried a few things in the config, "french" and "spanish" worked, "german" and "polish" didn't. Are you using the same data files on your Switch as the ones that worked for you in Polish on Vita/3DS?

Herbaciarz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
1) No problem - the problem may be due to my lack of knowledge of Linux - the readme file and a short description will be helpful for future users.

2) Adding buttons would be very helpful - especially since joycons have quite a lot of them.

3) I'll try to take a look this evening and let you know.

4) Theoretically, Polish replaces English - so it should work without any problems. Maybe I messed something up with the files. I'll upload it again on your new build and let you know.

I checked the new build:

1) I still can't open the file by default

--------------------------------------
Quick instructions:
1, Extract the zip file on your Linux partition (do not use a shared FAT32 partition for the switch).

2, Copy the "DATA" folder and the CRITTER.DAT and MASTER.DAT files from the fallout folder to the folder you extracted.

3. In fallout-ce properties, set Access Read and write and Execture -> Allow executing file as program

4. Launch fallout-ce
-------------------------------------

3) Video works fine now

4) I still have a problem with the Polish language - in Fallout-CE on Vita everything works without any problems, just like on PC.English is set in the configuration file - because it should overwrite the English language. However, I still have English.

https://fallout-corner.pl/shared-files/11037/?x34623&fo1-en2pl.zip - check this on PC fallout - but doesn't work on this linux version. I don't know why. It also works with fo2.exe on Android and Fallout Vita-CE.

Last edited by Herbaciarz,
Reactions: hippy dave

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    @SylverReZ that guy seriously spent over 2 grand on that hot wheels pc?
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    LTT is a noob
    Guy doesnt know wtf hes talking about half the time
    @SylverReZ that reminds me that my friend sells CRTs he gets cheap or free for hundreds of dollars. people are dumb
    +1
    And is incredibly annoying.
    man I just washed my shoes and they look exactly the same as before I washed them :|
    luckily they didn't fall apart
    Some CRTs are very much worth the price
    i used to go out to the recycling center every couple weeks and look at the crts and other electronics people would drop off. Usually screens were broken or severely scratched from being tossed around. Did find a good one here and there, but never anything like a 1080i widescreen crt.
    Or a good contition 40" Sony Trini that weighs 300 lbs. lol
    Literally 300 lbs. lolol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a few of those boat anchors in my basement I tried giving away but no one wanted them, So anyone close to Columbus, Ohio area that wants them, (26", 2x 19") please come get, for free.
    Dont know anyone wants those smaller ones. Most are after larger sizes and the kinda top of the line models
    Motion handling and input lag on those things destroy plasmas, led, oled
    I had some really nice CRTs I should've kept
    now I have all lcd
    one in particular I regret getting rid of oh well :|
    the Sonys and stuff I don't care about
    and used LCD are hard to sell I can imagine.. not worth much
    @SylverReZ where do u lurk
  • a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool:
    Is it piracy if it was released for free? Not in my opinion, but I also think it's not piracy if buying it isn't owning it, and it's not piracy if you can't buy it from the original creators anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Free release can have loopholes where they still make money through ads
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: :sad: