Gaming Anyone ever got a motion sickness from playing first person view?

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just did my 3rd try playing alien isolation, and I have to say, it's so hard to play this game. I have played a lot of video games, but alien isolation is the first game that gives me a constant dizziness and motion sickness. I just recently finished playing deus ex mankind divided (no issue there).

I even got a motion sickness from watching the let's play!

anyone ever experienced this? are you finally able to overcome your "motion sickness"?

Last edited by eriol33,

Arolandis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I'm not really sure what it is...sometimes I'm fine and sometimes I'm not, and can't handle it. Harsh lighting in games bothers me, too. It's like, give me options to tone down the bloom please~ :)

Tweaker_Modding

Siezure Dice™
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just did my 3rd try playing alien isolation, and I have to say, it's so hard to play this game. I have played a lot of video games, but alien isolation is the first game that gives me a constant dizziness and motion sickness. I just recently finished playing deus ex mankind divided (no issue there).

I even got a motion sickness from watching the let's play!

anyone ever experienced this? are you finally able to overcome your "motion sickness"?
I don’t but i do when using VR

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Can happen to me in some games where the FOV is grossly narrow. If the games have a FOV Slider, try turning that up a bit and see if that helps you, pretty sure at least the PC version of Isolation did.

Reactions: orangy57

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am told it is a fairly common problem in east Asia (see also why there are not many such games from Japan) and if your flag is accurate it might well be part of that. However it tends to be an almost all or nothing thing for that.

I would have to look at what Alien Isolation does that others might not. Motion blur possibly, head bob maybe*, I don't know if there is a head jerk routine to simulate fear, I can't imagine the frame rate is low enough to bother you in this (and no doubt you have met a game with low frame rate before).

*I took a look at a let's play and there is one. It is not remarkably rare or anything but it is also entirely possible you never encountered it before. Similarly with the sidestep/strafe there was a kind of head tilt which might have similar effects.

eriol33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am told it is a fairly common problem in east Asia (see also why there are not many such games from Japan) and if your flag is accurate it might well be part of that. However it tends to be an almost all or nothing thing for that.

I would have to look at what Alien Isolation does that others might not. Motion blur possibly, head bob maybe*, I don't know if there is a head jerk routine to simulate fear, I can't imagine the frame rate is low enough to bother you in this (and no doubt you have met a game with low frame rate before).

*I took a look at a let's play and there is one. It is not remarkably rare or anything but it is also entirely possible you never encountered it before. Similarly with the sidestep/strafe there was a kind of head tilt which might have similar effects.
Well I'm from Indonesia and an Asian, but I am not sure why this is common among Asians (?).

But I do grew up mostly playing third person views instead of first person views. Is it the cause?

Btw I reduce my controller sensitivity to the minimum, I think it's bearable now. I still feel a bit dizzy but I can stand it. This is a great game

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I never really looked into why and more that it is and what specifically triggers it, and even then only a minimal thing as I have never really been asked to fix it for those people.
Worth a look then
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8825456 Sadly just the abstract and first page is there.
and some of the citations of that might be of further interest https://www.researchgate.net/publication/14380817_Asian_Hypersusceptibility_to_Motion_Sickness
It seems a genetic link is suspected.
Another interesting link
http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~gh1/pdf/2005Klosterhalfen.pdf

Both of those go for Chinese people but looking around more it seems there are a few discussions from people from regions corresponding to the various O haplogroups.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ca/World_Map_of_Y-DNA_Haplogroups.png

JustMeDaFaq

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Not getting motion sicknes in all first person Games. Tho encountered it in Far Cry 3 and RAGE :/

After that trief Far Cry Primal, but same issue.

Also likes RAGE tjat much, that i tried beating it, but it felt just impossible due the motion sicknes. Found no way to get around it :/

Last edited by JustMeDaFaq,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: lorelei from pokemon is so fuckin bad bro