Anyone know how to make multiroms specifically for the SNES?

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to create a few multiroms so that I could consolidate some titles on my 3DS to free up some space and waste less of the 300 title limit by making them into VC titles (they'd likely have to be VC forwarders for retroarch and not just injects as I'm sure multiroms as a straight up inject wouldn't load properly). Ideally I'd like to make a Donkey Kong Country trilogy rom, a rom with Megaman X, X2, and X3, and another rom that has the 4 weeks of Zelda the Ancient Stone tablets. Is this even possible? If so, does anyone know how? And yes, obviously I could just delete the separate VC titles I already have for these games and just use emulators, but I like to have VC titles for my favorite retro games, while I still also have the emulators.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe it's possible, as (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 95% sure this is true) multi-game carts like those "100-in-1!" things use a separate chip as a boot menu, which aren't/can't be emulated on a standard emulator.

As to the limited icon issue, I would think CFW would be able to fix this, is that not something that's already been done? Honestly asking, cuz I don't follow the 3DS hacking scene whatsoever. That sounds like something you could get around with CFW.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I want to create a few multiroms so that I could consolidate some titles on my 3DS to free up some space and waste less of the 300 title limit by making them into VC titles (they'd likely have to be VC forwarders for retroarch and not just injects as I'm sure multiroms as a straight up inject wouldn't load properly). Ideally I'd like to make a Donkey Kong Country trilogy rom, a rom with Megaman X, X2, and X3, and another rom that has the 4 weeks of Zelda the Ancient Stone tablets. Is this even possible? If so, does anyone know how? And yes, obviously I could just delete the separate VC titles I already have for these games and just use emulators, but I like to have VC titles for my favorite retro games, while I still also have the emulators.
Maybe with a modded version of Retroarch or Snes9x.

duffmmann

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe it's possible, as (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm 95% sure this is true) multi-game carts like those "100-in-1!" things use a separate chip as a boot menu, which aren't/can't be emulated on a standard emulator.

As to the limited icon issue, I would think CFW would be able to fix this, is that not something that's already been done? Honestly asking, cuz I don't follow the 3DS hacking scene whatsoever. That sounds like something you could get around with CFW.

Nope, bypassing the 300 title limit still remains not done, and has been asked about many times. You can (and always could) install more than 300 titles, but old titles disappear from the home menu as you add more beyond the 300 title limit. Lame part is that placed badges also count towards the 300 title limit.

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Would be great to R.E the mario all-stars rom and see if you can swap out the bin/roms: however they are stored.

Perhaps even add to that slide menu system.

Edit:

Been doing some quick googling and cannot find much on this idea. I wonder if anyone managed to dump the individual roms from within the smw+all-stars rom, and or replaced a rom with a differend game alltogether as a POC.

.. game art would surely be simple to alter.

Edit 2:

Can a diff be used between allstars and smw+allstars to see how the final game was added?

Last edited by KiiWii,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It might be possible with some low size games. Get any with special chips and banks/ https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Super_NES_Programming/SNES_memory_map and just no.

Theoretically it might be possible to do in software but you would likely have to do every call, jump, branch and pointer, and hope nothing did any funky music pointer maths (or find that and correct it), hence why the low size thing is the more viable one (it certainly is when people consider this for the NES, GB and such).

Would be great to R.E the mario all-stars rom and see if you can swap out the bin/roms: however they are stored.

Perhaps even add to that slide menu system.

Edit:

Been doing some quick googling and cannot find much on this idea. I wonder if anyone managed to dump the individual roms from within the smw+all-stars rom, and or replaced a rom with a differend game alltogether as a POC.

.. game art would surely be simple to alter.

Edit 2:

Can a diff be used between allstars and smw+allstars to see how the final game was added?
Assuming it was not just a hardware flash cart of a sort then despite things being written in assembly back in the 16 bit days you still have all the memory labels, notes and whatever to allow you to even consider making this.
Occasionally you see hacks where people autoboot one game in a multi game collection and maybe dummy out the other game for hacks to use the space but it is a far cry from this to multirom from an existing game.

Reactions: KiiWii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone