Hardware Anyone know the rate for repairs on Joycon?

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have some damage to my Splatoon 2 Joycon. Want to keep the original color scheme for them, but wondering if it'll be cheaper to get Nintendo to fix them or to buy the set from Walmart.

Can't get Nintendo to give me a straight answer on the cost. Left (green) has some minor damage to the locking mechanism allowing me to slide it out at any time without using the unlock, and has recently started holding forward on the stick if I press it for less than a second.

Pink functions fine but has some of the plastic missing near the R/ZR buttons. I can see the screw in the corner.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have some damage to my Splatoon 2 Joycon. Want to keep the original color scheme for them, but wondering if it'll be cheaper to get Nintendo to fix them or to buy the set from Walmart.

Can't get Nintendo to give me a straight answer on the cost. Left (green) has some minor damage to the locking mechanism allowing me to slide it out at any time without using the unlock, and has recently started holding forward on the stick if I press it for less than a second.

Pink functions fine but has some of the plastic missing near the R/ZR buttons. I can see the screw in the corner.

Show me some pics, I'm willing to fix it for you for price of parts & return shipping.

The metal locks are hit and miss. Some are drilled too deep, and some don't have the little "nub", like the plastic buckle. it's about a 50% success rate with those. I would be able to replace it with a spare Nintendo plastic buckle that isn't chipped or broken. Unless you want to purchase some metal ones and send them along with the joycons.

Control stick, try calibrating. If that doesn't fix it, it's drift and will need to be replaced. I have a few genuine Nintendo control sticks that are in mint condition I can replace it with for you.

Missing plastic, just needs a new plastic piece, wouldn't charge for that, I have HUNDREDS lying around.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

The stick issue could be either bad connectivity (fixable with the foam fix, putting a small piece of conductive foam over where the antenna is on the board), or if it drifts, it's a different issue but could still be fixable by doing the same thing as the guy did in this video:

You can replace the entire rail part cheaply and easily, but I don't know how easy to find (or cheap) the rails with colored buttons are.

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Show me some pics, I'm willing to fix it for you for price of parts & return shipping.

The metal locks are hit and miss. Some are drilled too deep, and some don't have the little "nub", like the plastic buckle. it's about a 50% success rate with those. I would be able to replace it with a spare Nintendo plastic buckle that isn't chipped or broken. Unless you want to purchase some metal ones and send them along with the joycons.

Control stick, try calibrating. If that doesn't fix it, it's drift and will need to be replaced. I have a few genuine Nintendo control sticks that are in mint condition I can replace it with for you.

Missing plastic, just needs a new plastic piece, wouldn't charge for that, I have HUNDREDS lying around.
Let me try calibrating the sticks again and see if that fixes my issue (noticed it in BotW doing Trials of the Sword on Master Mode, imagine my dismay at being discovered because Link wouldn't stop walking). But will have an image attached of the physical damage.

On the green it can be hard to see, but there's a chip in that gray bit that I believe is preventing the normal locking mechanism from properly blocking a slide up.

Update: No longer seeing the issue with the stick. I think taking it out and connecting it again may have recalibrated it. Good old Link now stops when I stop pushing.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_114423[1].jpg
    IMG_20181011_114423[1].jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 137
Last edited by Reaga,

Reaga

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: There was another problem in the pink I just kind of forgot because I got used to it, but the equivalent to "R3" is a little bit off. It doesn't really click, takes an extra try or 2.

Just while we're talking about getting in there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thanks for signing up at LinusTechTips
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    holey shmoley!
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Your credit card has been charged. Thank you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your screwdriverPlus will arrive in three weeks
    +1
  • QuarterCut @ QuarterCut:
    K64_Waddle_Dee_Artwork_1.jpg

my reaction to such information
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Press 1 for English. Press 2 for Pig Latin. Or press 3 to speak to a representative.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, i need help, i got into an argument about what genre radioactive is, and i forgot who made it
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BakerMan, Imagine Dragons
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Dragon deez nuts across yo face GOTEEM
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lmao now I realize that was probably the joke in the first place
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IMAGINE DRAGON DEEZ NUTS ACROSS YO- FUCK HE BEAT ME TO IT
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You have selected 4 - Death by Snu Snu, please stand by...
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lucky bastard
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    hahahaha I'm half way through a bag off my Volcano and my tolerance is way down because I haven't been smoking much lately, so I was a little slow to catch that that was what your angle was 🤣🤣
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Also I was just excited to know a music reference for once (I am the LAST person in the world that you want on your trivia team)
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bummer webos 7.4 isnt working with dejavuln-autoroot
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    PS4 right? I think that's what mine's on. Or 5.6, maybe.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    [!] Installation failed (devmode_enabled not recognized)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    0.5 seemed to work whatever lol i wont bitch
  • Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham:
    Hehehe
    Alysh_Graham @ Alysh_Graham: Hehehe