Hacking Anyone out there trying to get the bootloader keys ?

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So afaik the boot session on the 3DS is encrypted and that's why we can't directly flash a CFW on our 3DS.
Flashing a CFW to the NAND would result as a failure as the boot-loader wouldn't recognize it as official because it'd be unsigned and that we don't have a way to extract the keys needed to sign it.

As I still hope that one day we'd be able to do such a thing and not being stuck with workarounds that breaks functionalities in the 3DS (DS mode compatibility) or have sometimes a non convenient use (having to relaunch the exploit every time we need to go in the system settings), I'd like to know if some people are working on it or if there's even a few hints at how to obtain this holy Graal ?

inb4 do it yourself (I'm just a random user that'd like to know how what the scene is focusing on)

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I had to guess, it's not the keys to de-/encrypt the bootchain which matters here, since they can be acquired if you have the right setup (Gateway has afaik -> hence all the newest emuNAND update capabilities) ... it's the signature we can't fuss with.
Look at the 360, we can get every single key out of that console and still we can't boot into an unsigned bootchain w/o hardware modifications / hacks.
The PS3 is a different story, because we can actually calculate the private keys and sign our own bootchain.

I honestly can't tell you for sure since I know almost nothing about the 3DS, but seeing as how tough the whole security system is during runtime, I wouldn't be surprised if it's equaly strong during boot.

Reactions: Idaho

FR0ZN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either getting acces to the private keys which SHOULD be impossible ... or Nintendo decides to release them for whatever reason :D
Or an exploit during boot time either by software (which becomes harder, if not impossible, with every new console generation) or via a modchip, just like the 360.

Right now I wouldn't hope for it and actually be happy that you actually don't need any game or the likes to exploit a 4.5.0 3DS. Imagine you'd have to launch a game first and go through the menus everytime you restart the console.
And be thankfull for the standby function of the 3DS :D

Could hit you a lot worse buddy ;)

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess I'm too used to convenient uses of hacks on my other devices as all of my other devices don't require actions in the stock OS to launch the hack, I remember that at some point it was like this on PSP 2000 units with the desperta batteries you could not power off your console or that'd just uninstall the hack, happily the reversing on the console allowed to flash CFWs on these consoles too...

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even private key and own bootchain does not make all the job : on PS3, you can't install CFW above 3.55.
Above, you can only use modchip/ODE.

Well that's because another layer of security was added on firmwares above 3.55 but you can still downgrade the firmware version quite easily on many PS3 revisions and then flash a CFW with an E3 flasher...

Idaho

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes you can downgrade... but you need an hardware mod to do this, no more software mod...

But you don't need to have it all the time, using it only once is okay as opposed to the ODE methods that don't allow any CFW installation nor do they allow you to only use the chips only one time to allow the hack on your PS3...

Reactions: OuahOuah

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: (and the joke here is that i misheard pride month as bread month)