Hacking Apparently it IS possible to trick nes golf into loading on your switch

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Twitter user jam1garner was able to use pegaswitch to trick his nes into launching nes golf.
here is a "general guide"
You will need the latest versions of node, git, and python.

FOR WINDOWS USERS
go here
follow prereqs and use POWERSHELL to enable and COMMAND to install Linux
Run bash to launch WSL, it will launch automatically the first time and ask to create a username and password
Run CD
Run Sudo apt-get install npm
( if NPM or NODE wont update, follow this https://aigeec.com/installing-node-js-on-windows-10-bash/)

If you are having issues connecting to your DNS and using Skype, go to Options/Advanced/Connection and uncheck "Use port 80 and 443 for additional incoming connections".
If this doesn't fix it, turn off your Windows Firewall completely.

General Instructions by SYNTAXYZ
Nintendo Switch is at version 3.0.0
My computer system is running Linux 4.4.0-93-generic #116~14.04.1-Ubuntu x86_64.
Well there where some errors yes, if this helps anyone here are the additional steps for a clean debian based system with apt-get/aptitude.

-- Change directory to your Home
> cd

-- update your packages
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get upgrade

-- Install build-essential ( for make )
> sudo apt-get install build-essential

-- Install nodejs 8.4.0
> curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_8.x | sudo -E bash -
> sudo apt-get install -y nodejs

-- Install git
> sudo apt-get install git

-- Install python
> sudo apt-get install python

-- Clone the pegaswitch git repo
> git clone https://github.com/reswitched/pegaswitch.git

-- Change directory to the pegaswitch dir
> cd pegaswitch

-- Let node package manager install dependencies for pegaswitch (be patient)
> npm install

-- Now you are ready to run pegaswitch
> sudo node start.js

(any errors here or lack of launch, try
node start.js --disable-curses --logfile debug.txt )
(if using 1.0.0 or the fake_news launcher, try)

sudo node start.js --webapplet​

The shell will present you with the ip of your system, this IP you will need to put as your DNS settings in your nintendo switch.

Then when you are ready to connect to your network with your modified DNS settings, a browser will start automaticaly with a nice pegaswitch logo.
You do not need to press the refresh button, the exploit is already active. You will notice in your pegaswitch shell on your computer that your switch is now connected.

In the pegaswitch shell run the recommended command as documented on the pegaswitch github page:

Then run the Script that changes your time
> evalfile ./usefulscripts/setRtc.js

you will receive "no output". this is normal

make sure your date and time is is set to synchronize automatically
you will see your date as 7/11 on your system now

You should be able to launch nes golf after this...Don't forget you still have to do the motion control launch AT the home screen

lvppfebh6sqmvvrqlq9l.gif

standing up, hold both the joycons pointing the R and L buttons towards the ground. then in one to two seconds lift the joycons to your chest and push forward like you are pushing someone off a cliff, all while rotating the joycons to point up in the end. its like what this guy does (make sure to hold both the joycons pointing the R and L buttons towards the ground an the beginning):

Featured on facebook by gamnesia 10/14/2017, hey guys!

Last edited by blinkzane,

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Cool, wonder if there are any other easter eggs hidden away for different significant dates.

Don't think so. Tho ReSwitched doesn't yet give us filesystem access, some others apparently do have access to it and dump everything. That's how they found the easter egg in the first place.

Nezztor

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Twitter user jam1garner was able to use pegaswitch to trick his nes into launching nes golf. I was attempting to do this same through his instructions but came across issues during npm install on the clone installation portion. I'd like to see if anyone else is capable of launching or knows a little more about coding than me. You will need the latest versions of node, git, and python. It's easier to install python and a few other tools using
npm install --global --production windows-build-tools
Anyways we can go over errors here or maybe someone with experience can get it done quicker.

Basically once you install those you do...

Npm git https://github.com/reswitched/pegaswitch

Npm install pegaswitch

Start node.js
from the pegaswitch folder

Set DNS in switch to your computer Ip address

After connecting type
evalfile. /usefulscripts/settings.js

Also this script needs to go somewhere, once you get as far as properly installing pegaswitch ust message him on Twitter

https://github.com/jam1garner/pegaswitch/blob/master/usefulscripts/setRtc.js

Theoretically you should be able to launch nes golf after this.....

I think its only tricks the time of your console even if your switch has been connected to internet so you can launch the game ,you still have to do the special movements

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm kinda surprised this hasn't blown up considering how popular the original discovery thread seemed to be.

I can only assume the process is too difficult for the average person? I'd like to know if this has actually been reproduced by anyone else on 3.0 yet.

Reactions: blinkzane

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm kinda surprised this hasn't blown up considering how popular the original discovery thread seemed to be.

I can only assume the process is too difficult for the average person? I'd like to know if this has actually been reproduced by anyone else on 3.0 yet.
if I had more time to trouble shoot I would know by now but life happens so I was hoping someone else could give it a shot

_______

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Maybe can you make a video or a guide? So others can do the same

The latest commit of PegaSwitch added a new "usefulscripts/setRtc.js" which utilized the time service to set the RTC clock to 7/11/2017.

All you need to do it fire up your PegaSwitch, connect your Switch to it as DNS, then "evalfile usefulscripts/setRtc.js". Then press Home on your Joy-con, follow OP's YouTube clip and you are Golden.

In case you'd like to know where did that gesture came from, it's from Iwata's Nintendo Direct here:

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tried on my 3.0.0 with RTC reset by pegaswitch, got it work almost every single time.
Out of interest what are you running Pegaswitch on? I remember giving it a quick try a little while back and got some DNS error and didn't bother trying further. I was using a Ubuntu VM in Windows though so maybe it was a network adapter issue.

syntaxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
did you have any errors? what OS are you on? windows, linux, mac?
My computer system is running Linux 4.4.0-93-generic #116~14.04.1-Ubuntu x86_64.
Well there where some errors yes, if this helps anyone here are the additional steps for a clean debian based system with apt-get/aptitude.

> cd ~

-- update your packages
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

-- Install nodejs 8.4.0

-- Install git

-- Install python

> cd pegaswitch

> npm install

> sudo node start.js

The shell will present you with the ip of your system, this IP you will need to put as your DNS settings in your nintendo switch.

Then when you are ready to connect to your network with your modified DNS settings, a browser will start automaticaly with a nice pegaswitch logo.
You do not need to press the refresh button, the exploit is already active. You will notice in your pegaswitch shell on your computer that your switch is now connected.

In the pegaswitch shell run the recommended command as documented on the pegaswitch github page:
> evalfile ./usefulscripts/SetupNew.js

Presto you are done. Now good luck making the gestures to start up Flog :)

Last edited by syntaxyz,

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

> cd ~

-- update your packages
> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

-- Install nodejs 8.4.0

-- Install git

-- Install python

> cd pegaswitch

> npm install

> sudo node start.js

> evalfile ./usefulscripts/SetupNew.js

Presto you are done. Now good luck making the gestures to start up Flog :)
for windows its "npm" rather than "sudo apt-get"
im gonna try updating to see if i can resolve some errors.
I had an error pop up saying I needed eslint and several other directories dont exist

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

these are my errors when doing "npm install pegaswitch"

C:\Windows\System32\node_modules\pty.js>if not defined npm_config_node_gyp (node "C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\bin\node-gyp-bin\\..\..\node_modules\node-gyp\bin\node-gyp.js" rebuild ) else (node "" rebuild )
gyp: binding.gyp not found (cwd: C:\Windows\System32\node_modules\pty.js) while trying to load binding.gyp
gyp ERR! configure error
gyp ERR! stack Error: `gyp` failed with exit code: 1
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.onCpExit (C:\Program Files\nodejs\node_modules\npm\node_modules\node-gyp\lib\configure.js:336:16)
gyp ERR! stack at emitTwo (events.js:125:13)
gyp ERR! stack at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:213:7)
gyp ERR! stack at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:200:12)
gyp ERR! System Windows_NT 10.0.15063
gyp ERR! command "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node.exe" "C:\\Program Files\\nodejs\\node_modules\\npm\\node_modules\\node-gyp\\bin\\node-gyp.js" "rebuild"
gyp ERR! cwd C:\Windows\System32\node_modules\pty.js
gyp ERR! node -v v8.6.0
gyp ERR! node-gyp -v v3.6.2
gyp ERR! not ok
npm WARN [email protected] requires a peer of [email protected] - 3.x but none was installed.
npm WARN [email protected] requires a peer of eslint@^2.0.0 || ^3.0.0 but none was installed.

npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
npm ERR! errno 1
npm ERR! [email protected] install: `node-gyp rebuild`
npm ERR! Exit status 1
npm ERR!
npm ERR! Failed at the [email protected] install script.
npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

syntaxyz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
for windows its "npm" rather than "sudo apt-get"
im gonna try updating to see if i can resolve some errors.
I had an error pop up saying I needed eslint and several other directories dont exist

On the github page for pegaswitch read this: https://github.com/reswitched/pegaswitch#windows-support
It basically says windows is not supported at this time and you need the linux subsystem for windows (WSL as they call it).
It is not hard to install WSL and I hear it is basically running a light version of ubuntu that is supported by microsoft.

Reactions: blinkzane

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the github page for pegaswitch read this: https://github.com/reswitched/pegaswitch#windows-support
It basically says windows is not supported at this time and you need the linux subsystem for windows (WSL as they call it).
It is not hard to install WSL and I hear it is basically running a light version of ubuntu that is supported by microsoft.
this will probably resolve it. thank you. ill brb with confirmation

Reactions: syntaxyz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it