Apple Education Event: Revolutionizing School the Apple Way

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Believe it or not, I spend FEW HUNDRED DOLLARS on textbooks starting from middle school and that amount just keeps jumping. I'll definitely get an iPad over these heavy textbooks anyday if I had the chance (although now my middle school uses MACBOOKS -___-)
You paid for textbooks in middle school?

Huh.
See my flag.

A chemistry book is about $30. Math $20.

MR_COW

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It also screws over book publishers too.

Apple, in this EULA, is claiming a right not just to its software, but to its software’s output. It’s akin to Microsoft trying to restrict what people can do with Word documents, or Adobe declaring that if you use Photoshop to export a JPEG, you can’t freely sell it to Getty. As far as I know, in the consumer software industry, this practice is unprecedented.

http://venomousporri...r-eula-audacity

I suppose the main difference is that the tool is free for as many computers as you want, where as Office is $150 for one license, and Photoshop is god knows how much these days. It's definitely a different business model, but one of the nice things is that it leaves room for teachers to create their own custom lessons for it for free as well as these professionally made ones for sale.

no schools are partnering up with apple education to get ipads for their students public schools like the one my cousin goes to ever kid has an ipad, i think this means that public schools are getting their own ipads for their students govt funded im guessing
My history teacher currently just scans the chapter we're on and posts it on our workspace. I haven't opened my textbook in months, I just download the scans he gives us and use those.

That sounds illegal.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@chris888222: That kinda sucks. At my school, they lend out the textbooks, and they don't really need to buy any new ones unless they're lost (textbooks are $60+ here) or when the curriculum calls for a textbook update.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
@chris888222: That kinda sucks. At my school, they lend out the textbooks, and they don't really need to buy any new ones unless they're lost (textbooks are $60+ here) or when the curriculum calls for a textbook update.
It REALLY sucks. Thats why I'd rather use a $600+ iPad than buying $200 - $300 worth of textbooks every year.

Sadly, I'm not living in America.

Reactions: 1 person

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
i hate that they see the education sector as just another cash cow. but i despise more the fact that the education sector just gobbles it all up. they don't care if it's expensive and it's eating funds that are better spent elsewhere.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
This is a terrible thing to do.
Bringing iPads to school have a huge risk of someone stealing or smashing it, which makes you flush another $600 down the toilet.
iPads are bloody expensive and not everyone likes apple.
Switching between iPad and your notes and all your other bits of paper would be annoying.
Noone can expect them to do any work if they're on their iPad filled with app games.
They are fragile as hell and people are always chucking their bag when they don't have it on, I used to throw my bag off a 2 story building when I was going to the library, imagine how smashed that iPad would be.

Reactions: 1 person

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That sounds illegal.
Depending on the licensing contracts in school, this could be just as legal as making a normal paper copy. Basically making a digital copy of part of a book is possible if you just happen to pay enough for it :P

OT: Not really something I'd see for everyone. A book is far better for scanning/browsing/whatever (ie. search for something you're not 100% sure off in the first place) than an eBook in every aspect. Especially when making a thesis or whatnot, normal hardcovers just are so much better..

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Different rules apply for schools, they can do a lot of things for educational purposes and not get in trouble for it.
I discovered that my school pirates a chunk of it's programs but it's ok cause it's for educational purposes.

Um, unless the laws are different in the land down under, that sounds highly illegal. If anything schools get discounts for bundles of software. We still bought Windows 7 for every computer, Photoshop CS5 for a lot of computers (TV studio and engineering labs), and Premiere Pro (I forget which version but that's only for the TV studio). Not to mention every copy of Microsoft Office (Word, Powerpoint, and Excel) and other niche software (such as accounting software and engineering software). They probably get a good deal on it but flat out pirating it? I doubt it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: That's a relief to hear. Do you know what happened?