Apple Lawsuit Bans HTC Android Handsets In U.S.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@ferofax - Apple is not powerful enough to take out google + htc + motorola + samsung + sony + lg + whoever I forgot. Htc already posted how they have a fix being tested that gets around the whole issue. Apple is just scared because they realize that customer may actually want a choice.

Well said, well said. I'm glad there's people out there besides me that are not brainwashed by Apple's products. Normally I would dip into these types of gadgets (iPhone, iPod touch, iPad) but there's something about them that just keeps them from being my interest. It's probably that Apple for a long time has catered to the upper middle class yuppy type and, although I could mingle with them fine, it just is not my cup of tea. I would rather see Motorola come out with something groundbreaking again. After the Motrola Razr flip phone, they have been kinda hit or miss (KRAZR for example) and their new touch screen phones seem pretty decent but unfortunately they don't catch on like the iPhones do with all the zombies around that carry them.

Hopefully one day we will see something new and fantastic come out that is not an Apple product. Until then, my cash stays in the bank :P I'm on a super cheap phone plan with no data even though I can afford an iPhone and data plan. I just don't need it. I have computers everywhere I go and LAN and internet.

Reactions: 1 person

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i don't see why apple haters need to resort to calling apple users names. you hate the company? fine, but many of us are actually educated people that know our technology well and choose apple. if you are so happy with your companies why keep ragging on apple users? it's quite sad really. it's like no matter how good non apple products get, there is still some apple gear envy you people can't shake.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you are so happy with your companies why keep ragging on apple users? it's quite sad really. it's like no matter how good non apple products get, there is still some apple gear envy you people can't shake.

Likewise.

But, you know what they say! "The apple doesn't fall far from the tree"!

Bu-dum-tsss...!

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
that doesn't pertain to what i said. is steve jobs calling adroid users stupid, uneducated, sheep, zombies? no he is angry at a company that stole his OS. like i said before, you hate apple? fine. why rag on the users?

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that doesn't pertain to what i said. is steve jobs calling adroid users stupid, uneducated, sheep, zombies? no he is angry at a company that stole his OS. like i said before, you hate apple? fine. why rag on the users?

Particulary ironic since Steve Jobs stole the whole idea for the mac os from xerox parc in the first place. But I for one never said anything about apple users - if they want to pay more for less, that is their problem.

Edit noticed a typo

Reactions: 1 person

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Particulary ironic since Steve Jobs stole the whole idea for the mac os from xerox parc in the first place. Put I for one never said anything about apple users - if they want to pay more for less, that is their problem.
You mean Xerox, the company he got permission from?

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Particulary ironic since Steve Jobs stole the whole idea for the mac os from xerox parc in the first place. Put I for one never said anything about apple users - if they want to pay more for less, that is their problem.

That permission is highly questionable given the fact that Xerox sued later over the issue.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That permission is highly questionable given the fact that Xerox sued later over the issue.
Xerox sued solely because Apple became successful and they made printers.

mysticwaterfall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Xerox sued solely because Apple became successful and they made printers.

Apple was successful before then. Xerox sued because they were pissed Apple sued MS and and in doing so more or less claimed to have invented the GUI.

Back on topic, I won't dispute Apple has made very successful products. But instead of letting them stand on thier own merits they get lawsuit happy when they start losing. It didn't work before, it won't work now.

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if there really was infringement (and a court ruled that there was) how can you people bitch about this and make comments along the lines of "well, they should make an exception in this case" or "the govt should really step in and do something"?

We have a system that gives people a LIMITED monopoly over their intellectual creations. You might not agree with the system, or you might agree with it in part but believe that it's imperfect, but that is the system that we have. Protection for intellectual property was even written into the U.S. Constitution. Most other countries have similar intellectual property regimes, and there are international treaties that many countries have agreed to enforce.

In this case, HTC used a method that Apple owned the patent for, and whether they did it intentionally or knowingly doesn't matter. If you think that this harms competition and the overall economy, maybe you should question the entire patent regime itself. I, for one, think that it is useless, harms competition, and makes $ flow into the hands of those who know how to take advantage of the system. But for now it will continue functioning as it always has which includes incidents like this where company A infringes and company B wins a court-ordered injunction.

nando

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i'm actually against frivolous patenting, but you can't claim the world would be completely better without it coming from china specially where most people aren't even sure if they payed for the real thing or a knock off. just look at the fake apple stores that popped up. so where do you draw the line?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
@bloodliketheatlantic The court is not always right. In fact, in cases like this, they're hardly ever "right". Certain things should not be patented because they occour to humans naturally, certain design ideas are simply re-occouring, like the idea of an "icon" or "button". This is why people often disagree with rullings in favour of Apple.

As far as Xerox's issue is concerned - there was never any permission because Xerox was not planning to release their system. It was, to a large extent, a tech demo in which little people had faith at that time. Jobs literally took their ideas straight from the beta and implemented them in the GUI he and his team were working on for the Lisa computer.

bloodliketheatla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do you determine what is frivolous? Do you suggest we change what can be considered patentable material?

There are many people who just take intellectual property as a given (even some economists) but it IS a form of monopoly (albeit a limited one in both duration and rights.) Therefore it functions just like any other monopoly would, and monopolies lead to higher prices and reduced competition . Many people believe that the free market rather than IP should sort it out as it always does. Protecting patents and copyrights leads to a tremendous increase in transaction costs and doesn't necessarily make society better off as a whole. The story that is told is that IP protection will incentivize the creation of inventions and creative works. But in a world without copyrights and patents do you honestly think their would be any less of these? Many would argue the other way: that patents hinder technological progress by reducing competition. This is all assuming we have an efficient patent system which as many people are aware we don't. In the system we currently have there are tons of overlaps in patented material, patents granted for shit that shouldn't have made it past the first round, and companies that are forced to spend millions buying patents that they won't even use just so that they won't get sued. Obviously only the largest, wealthiest companies can compete in industries that are plagued with patents so how is that good for competition? Or should we be happy with a level of competition that is composed of "Apple vs. Microsoft" and "Coke vs. Pepsi"?

Do you honestly think Apple wouldn't exist if it weren't for patents? They still have strong brand-name recognition, customer loyalty, and efficient production.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Those preloaded ones are junk. You can Google raspberry Pi and find where they are sold near you, or on amazon.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i don't think my parents will get me a pi
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You can get older ones even like the pi 3,4 for cheap, but they don't play gamecube, Wii etc very well. Be warned they use a Linux os, which you need to load onto a micro SD card yourself. You can find pre built images like "retro-pie" online free tho which makes it easy to setup.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i don't have my own money
  • T @ Texasauras:
    mannn thats insane, mario on n64
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Now you are 15, you can go get a real job, somewhat.
  • T @ Texasauras:
    its like $80 bro lmao
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, i'm too young and stupid and i don't have time to work
  • T @ Texasauras:
    it runs on android os
  • T @ Texasauras:
    it looks dope
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You get what you pay for. Go ahead and buy one those cheap Chinese units, you will see.
  • T @ Texasauras:
    bro have you seen the gfuel instagram
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Texasauras why did you start a thread, ignored all the answers there, then come here to chat and ask the same thing. You gotta be like 12, bro
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Biker Mice from Mars needed a Sequel, Angry Hamsters from Uranus
  • T @ Texasauras:
    uh bro i was just asking have you seen these, help me look
  • T @ Texasauras:
    its on amazon
    Download Batocera make it your own
    +1
    If you want GC PS2 Wii stuff like that use a PC
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, i also use my tv stick to watch YouTube and streaming services
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Psi those play well on the Pi5 now...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty yep that's what I use my stick for most anymore, streaming tv shows, movies. or even youtube. Or doing kens mum.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    RG Cube is going to be good for ps2 if it's $100
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and since the default emulator is below average i downloaded some "replacements" like snes9x for snes games for example
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And I also have my ps3
    +1
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: And I also have my ps3 +1