ROM Hack RELEASE Arcade Archives DONKEY KONG - No network patch

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you run Donkey Kong and have a network connection but Nintendo's servers blocked, it crashes after choosing the game mode and choosing your profile. If you run it in aeroplane mode, there's a nag message to enable the network, but the game works. This patch fixes the crash so you can play without disabling network, and it also removes the nag if you are in aeroplane mode.

Update:
to soothe my perfectionism, the patch has been updated to version 2. Now when you get a new top score, a box no longer pops up asking if you want to upload your score online, and the emulation remains uninterrupted. You can just overwrite the old patch if you've got it.

Unzip and copy the DonkeyKongNoNet folder into /atmosphere/exefs_patches/

e: this is for v0 of the game, the only version afaik.

Attachments

• DonkeyKongNoNet-v2.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 184
Last edited by hippy dave,

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It’s nice to see more people making exefs patches :)
Thanks! I've played around in disassemblers before (used to do a bit of light cracking back in the day) but ghidra's decompilation of functions is a game changer - hopefully will find more fun patches to make.

The limitation I've since discovered for this patch is that when you get a new top score, it still asks you if you want to share it online. Choosing either yes or no still does nothing and returns you to the game tho. Will have another look when I can to see if I can surpress that popup too.

Impossible_Igntiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is soooo definitely needed for the many Arcade Archive games i have and it was so damn annoying to deal with "software crash" error every time, hopefully there's a way to make this patch universal with all of the games if they use the same function calls.

Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is soooo definitely needed for the many Arcade Archive games i have and it was so damn annoying to deal with "software crash" error every time, hopefully there's a way to make this patch universal with all of the games if they use the same function calls.
Which other ones have the same crash? I don't think they all do, I can start Donkey Kong Jr without a problem. I notice that one has received a game update tho.

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
? This doesn't make any sense. And what "without having to use [...] Bluetooth Controller" has anything to do with this mod?

In order to play a backup of Vesperia on a hacked console, you need to activate Airplane mode before starting, or it will kick you back to the Switch home menu. And in order to use a pro controller on Airplane mode, you need to activate the "Bluetooth controller" option.

Same with Doom 2016. If you want to play Story Mode, you need to activate Airplane mode before starting, or else, it won't appear on the game's main menu.

A patch similar to to what OP created would negate the need for Airplane mode.

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In order to play a backup of Vesperia on a hacked console, you need to activate Airplane mode before starting, or it will kick you back to the Switch home menu. And in order to use a pro controller on Airplane mode, you need to activate the "Bluetooth controller" option.

Same with Doom 2016. If you want to play Story Mode, you need to activate Airplane mode before starting, or else, it won't appear on the game's main menu.

A patch similar to to what OP created would negate the need for Airplane mode.
Well, this is just inconvenience, not something game breaking.
This game literally crashes if Nintendo servers are blocked.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wait, i didn't read about Vesperia carefully.
You mean legal copies or you are talking about pirates?

Last edited by masagrator,

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So the Arcade Archives and ACA Neo Geo games all use this same ranking code that I've found the patches for. I'm thinking of gradually working on a collection of patches for at least whichever ones crash without aeroplane mode, but it's a long list to work through, if anyone has specific requests let me know.

Reactions: RY0M43CH1Z3N

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...