Hacking Homebrew Is it feasible to MITM the internet connection/module?

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering is kind of the reverse of the patches posted so far possible: a patch that removes the nag that some games have to turn off flight mode when we have it on?

bestpig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do you have a game name?
I think games that check for Airplane mode is not just a check, it's because they are playable only when online, like cloud games.

Reactions: OrGoN3

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering is kind of the reverse of the patches posted so far possible: a patch that removes the nag that some games have to turn off flight mode when we have it on?
If you're talking about the nag I'm thinking of, which pops up in a message from the operating system, not from the game itself, then try these patches, they should help. If the nag is from the actual game, on the game screen itself, then that might require a specific game patch, but I've yet to see it done that way.

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a game name?
I think games that check for Airplane mode is not just a check, it's because they are playable only when online, like cloud games.

An example would be DOOM (1993), this pop up happens in quite a few games that aren't online only.

If you're talking about the nag I'm thinking of, which pops up in a message from the operating system, not from the game itself, then try these patches, they should help. If the nag is from the actual game, on the game screen itself, then that might require a specific game patch, but I've yet to see it done that way.

It is from the operating system, I did try with both patches but no change to that one.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An example would be DOOM (1993), this pop up happens in quite a few games that aren't online only.
I'm apparently missing something. none of these games mentioned are actually effected when the pop up happens atleast not for me they have all worked perfectly fine its an annoyance at best so I really don't get why people need a patch for them. of course its going to pop up as soon as the game requests a connection that it can't make its not "detecting" airplane mode its detecting the lack of internet

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm apparently missing something. none of these games mentioned are actually effected when the pop up happens atleast not for me they have all worked perfectly fine its an annoyance at best so I really don't get why people need a patch for them. of course its going to pop up as soon as the game requests a connection that it can't make its not "detecting" airplane mode its detecting the lack of internet

You're not missing anything, it's an annoyance. There are games where that nag pops up repeatedly so would be cool to eliminate it.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're not missing anything, it's an annoyance. There are games where that nag pops up repeatedly so would be cool to eliminate it.
I mean people were claiming games even crash which is not my experience. the only time it should be an actual issue is online only games

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean people were claiming games even crash which is not my experience. the only time it should be an actual issue is online only games

You quoted me so I assumed you were talking about what I asked for: a patch to remove the nag to turn off flight mode, no games will actually crash with flight mode turned on.

In the opposite scenario where you have wifi turned on but dns blocking of N active then yes some games crash, hang and error. Several are listed in this thread and that was the original point of this thread.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You quoted me so I assumed you were talking about what I asked for: a patch to remove the nag to turn off flight mode, no games will actually crash with flight mode turned on.

In the opposite scenario where you have wifi turned on but dns blocking of N active then yes some games crash, hang and error. Several are listed in this thread and that was the original point of this thread.
I've never had the issue with any games on the list granted I use nextdns alongside mitm which might be why

Last edited by deathblade200,

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Idk about all the games mentioned, but the games I personally talked about wanting to fix do actually crash in this situation. Bad programming puts them in an endless loop when internet connection is active but they can't connect to the servers.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Idk about all the games mentioned, but the games I personally talked about wanting to fix do actually crash in this situation. Bad programming puts them in an endless loop when internet connection is active but they can't connect to the servers.
I'm going to assume it depends on how the connection is actually resolved (or in this case denied) because even back when I was messing with blocking online telemetry servers in games such as Dauntless if they weren't denied a certain way the game would just get stuck.

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to assume it depends on how the connection is actually resolved (or in this case denied) because even back when I was messing with blocking online telemetry servers in games such as Dauntless if they weren't denied a certain way the game would just get stuck.
You're the first person to mention Dauntless, so again it depends on the particular game and how it's coded.

deathblade200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're the first person to mention Dauntless, so again it depends on the particular game and how it's coded.
yet I even just tested Tempest 4000 which was mentioned in your very first post and had no issue. I think its more that people don't understand a dns denies in multiple different ways

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
yet I even just tested Tempest 4000 which was mentioned in your very first post and had no issue. I think its more that people don't understand a dns denies in multiple different ways
Ok that's more useful, thanks for sharing. Interesting to know that some DNS setups will work for these faulty games and some won't, but I'm still blaming the games' coding.

bestpig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

It is from the operating system, I did try with both patches but no change to that one.
I tested DOOM (1993) without my patch, I got some nag on the title menu.
Then I tested with my patch and try to play like 5min with network connected and I didn't saw any nags.

What did you use?
I just use this one -> https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-it-f...nternet-connection-module.609819/post-9793883
You have to unzip and place the asm64 file into /SaltySD/patches on the SDcard

PS : I little late but I didn't saw your message before, sorry.

• Love
Reactions: 0ver_flow

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested DOOM (1993) without my patch, I got some nag on the title menu.
Then I tested with my patch and try to play like 5min with network connected and I didn't saw any nags.

With network connected? I was talking about removing the nag that appears with flight mode turned on. The patches don't work for that, with or without that patch the nag to turn off flight mode appears.

bestpig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With network connected? I was talking about removing the nag that appears with flight mode turned on. The patches don't work for that, with or without that patch the nag to turn off flight mode appears.
Oh, didn't check with airplane on my bad, I was testing connected to my network.
But why do you enable airplane mode to play if the patch works connected?

Bricked

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, didn't check with airplane on my bad, I was testing connected to my network.
But why do you enable airplane mode to play if the patch works connected?

I'm using the patches when network is available but if you don't have a network available in those games you either have "could not connect" nag without airplane mode or "turn off airplane mode" nag with airplane mode so I was just asking if it's possible to have a patch to eliminate the nag. It would also be nice for users that need or want to stay in airplane mode for whatever reason.

bestpig

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm using the patches when network is available but if you don't have a network available in those games you either have "could not connect" nag without airplane mode or "turn off airplane mode" nag with airplane mode so I was just asking if it's possible to have a patch to eliminate the nag. It would also be nice for users that need or want to stay in airplane mode for whatever reason.
Ok, seems legit :P.
So I'm trying random things, but seems to works, at least for DOOM (1993), I didn't tried something else.
But I had no nag at launch while in airplane mode ;)

If you can confirm it also works for you?

Attachments

• SaltySD-Nop-Network.zip
    1.2 KB · Views: 217

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc