Hacking Are fuses still relevant?

Xenon Hacks

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not touched my switch in a long time and I'm going to follow the tutorial here - https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
Does it even matter if they are burnt or not burnt? Also how would I be able to check? I'm currently sitting on 6.1.0 and updated to that firmware using homebrew that prevents fuse burning (don't remember what it was called)

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Reactions: spriteice

M7L7NK7

Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
Any custom bootloader prevents your console from burning fuses.

They never were. The fuses are irrelevant for any user which uses custom firmware. Hekate disables the fuse check iirc.

They were meaning choidujour, and fuses are relevant if you want to be able to go back to a lower firmware if an exploit is ever found

Reactions: cearp

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Good point. One of my two consoles is a launch unit. Also on 1.0.0.

But as good as every possible exploit were fixed (for the case there are another ones except deja vu). And i doubt that a lot of people didn't update their ipatched consoles while they wait for an possible upcoming exploit.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well, they're ISH....

if you want to use Cartridges in your Switch. You have to blow some. Else not really no.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have not touched my switch in a long time and I'm going to follow the tutorial here - https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/
Does it even matter if they are burnt or not burnt? Also how would I be able to check? I'm currently sitting on 6.1.0 and updated to that firmware using homebrew that prevents fuse burning (don't remember what it was called)
Fuses only matter if you are interested in a better exploit such as a hypothetical untethered coldboot exploit.

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you update the system using cfw. Using daybreak etc. Does this cause a mismatch on the fuse count? (Therefore stock won't launch)

I know if you downgrade it won't boot. But is an update ok?? I've always used the stock updater on the stock sysnand and used the cfw way to update emunand then kept a backup of both.

I'm thinking if it's safe to update the system using cfw I'm better not burning any more Fuses.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you update the system using cfw. Using daybreak etc. Does this cause a mismatch on the fuse count? (Therefore stock won't launch)

I know if you downgrade it won't boot. But is an update ok?? I've always used the stock updater on the stock sysnand and used the cfw way to update emunand then kept a backup of both.

I'm thinking if it's safe to update the system using cfw I'm better not burning any more Fuses.
Nintendos loader only stops booting, when the fusecount is to high for your firmware version, so for example, if you try to boot stock 2.0.0 while having fuses burned for 5.0.0.

When its the other way around, so you are booting 5.0.0 with 2.0.0 fuses, the fuses will be burned for 5.0.0 and the boot continues without any problems.

When booting CFW, the fuses are always ignored, so no new fuses will be burned, and the system will also not stop booting because of to many fuses already burned.

I normaly update in Atmosphere with Nintendos normal updater, because I don't install any NSPs or XCIs, so I'm mostly safe to go online in CFW.

Kallim

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendos loader only stops booting, when the fusecount is to high for your firmware version, so for example, if you try to boot stock 2.0.0 while having fuses burned for 5.0.0.

When its the other way around, so you are booting 5.0.0 with 2.0.0 fuses, the fuses will be burned for 5.0.0 and the boot continues without any problems.

When booting CFW, the fuses are always ignored, so no new fuses will be burned, and the system will also not stop booting because of to many fuses already burned.

I normaly update in Atmosphere with Nintendos normal updater, because I don't install any NSPs or XCIs, so I'm mostly safe to go online in CFW.
I update emunand in cfw but use Nintendo's updater for my system. Another thought does having a fusee count that doesn't match the firmware cause a ban risk?

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I update emunand in cfw but use Nintendo's updater for my system. Another thought does having a fusee count that doesn't match the firmware cause a ban risk?
Not really, since its only handled in nintendos bootloader, and can easelly be spoofed if nessesery.
The community would also very fast notice, if nintendo started to read them at some point with an update, so its wont even be worth the nessesary affort for nintendo to implement reading them for cfw detection.

paulzheng

Trophies
XP
Country
China

i update sysnand in stock booting and use tegraexplorer to dump the latest firmware. then update emunand via daybreak. But first we have to wait for the new atmosphere version released that supports latest HOS

akira022

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was extremely lucky when I got my switch. Got it brand new from the store and is ipatched but on 4.1 and was able to get into cfw through DejaVu. Still looking for a better way though...lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lawwww I am the lawwww!!!