• Not yet :)

• Former Pirate

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ando9300

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
As somebody who grew up in Argentina, pirating was seen as the norm until not long ago. It actually still is, but not as much as before.

Up until 2010 approximatley, pirating videogames was the only way almost every single person that played videogames got them, and since not everyone had a computer or stable internet nor knew how to burn games into cds for their ps1 or ps2s, gaming and computer stores sold these pirated games in physical form for us. I've never seen a single gaming store that sold non pirated copies here ever. Ofc these gaming stores aren't anything big or official, I'm not talking about something like Gamestop (because those never existed here), I'm referring to small local stores that sold videogame-related content in their own way. Every PS1 videogame i ever owned is pirated and I have never ever seen an official copy of a PS1 videogame, they probably never made it here to begin with. Same for PC games and PS2 games. I only started to see original games being sold in the late PS3/XBOX360/Wii era, aka 2011ish, but most people still try to jailbreak their consoles so they don't buy the games because all of these items are insanely overpriced over here.

And these copies that gaming stores sold came with an instruction guide on the back explaining you how to properly copy the crack so you could play the game. Yes, our society taught and raised us on how to pirate games as it was the only available option. I would post a photo of an example of a case i have with the cracking instructions behind, but my forum level is too low and I'm not allowed to post any links yet. Point of the matter is, buying pirated copies was so normalized that as a kid I wasn't even aware that I wasn't buying original copies, or that the concept of "original" and "pirated" existed at all.

I don't pirate games anymore because I grew up and got a job and a PC etc etc and can afford games on steam.

PS this is my first post in the forum, hello

Last edited by Ando9300,

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pirate games if it is easier to pirate them than to buy them legitimately. I pirate games for all consoles except for the Switch because it's easier and cheaper and has no consequences. I don't pirate PC games or Switch games because of being banned (switch) or getting viruses/whatever else is in the application (PC).

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
49f1a62226d1b69d58fb3b23c03f3593.jpg

Never Ever!

wownmnpare

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you're leaving here in my country, pirating is common here, heck they even do service bussiness here like install cfw and modding stuff.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Mayo1990

I just play vidya
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I didn't live in a wealthy family so if I wanted to play something, that was the only way I could have played new games. When I started being more indipendent from the financial side, I stopped pirating games unless I wanted to try them out. If I liked them, I would remove the cracked copy and buy the regular one. Even though I finished some games, I promised myself back then, if I liked them a lot, that I would've bought them in future once I had the money. Which I did.

Of course, I'm not applying this rule to very old games which are much more difficult to lay my hands on.

Supernova89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on the game and console in question, some games, especially retro ones are crazy expensive, but have limited this, compared to when I was younger, so I'd say a reformed pirate!

Ricken

Searching for the air to breathe~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am a very guilty pirate, and probably will be for quite a few more years. When I pirate a video game, generally it's too old for the makers to make any money so I think nothing of it; if it's a newer game then I'll only buy it if I'm extremely hyped for it (believe me, I wanna buy a Switch just to play Neo TWEWY :P)
Music is where most of the piracy happens though, as ashamed as I am to admit that; while I have nothing against piracy, a lot of the music I find and like these days comes from smaller creators; and I'm painfully aware of that every time I open a Soundcloud downloader or a Bandcamp downloader

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7