ARM-based PS2 emulator AetherSX2 suspends development indefinitely

unnamed.jpg

Just over a year ago, PS2 emulator AetherSX2 made a splash when it hit the Play Store as a surprisingly capable ARM-based PS2 emulator that could get solid performance Android devices, even some mid-range phones (depending on the game). The project left early access in July 2022, and development has continued steadily since then. However, today, the emulator's website was taken down and replaced with a post from the project's sole developer, Tahlreth, explaining that development has been "indefinitely suspended," blaming this decision on "neverending impersonating, complaints, demands, and now death threats."

"AetherSX2 was always meant to be a fun hobby for me, not profit driven," writes Tahlreth. "It doesn't make sense to continue working on a hobby which isn't fun anymore." They also warn of a number of "scammers" and imposters on social media who claim to represent AetherSX2, but do not.

The AetherSX2 Discord is also currently locked and not accepting new members, though it's unclear if this is a temporary measure.

It appears as though these frustrations with community complaints have been building for some time. In a developer update blog posted in July, Tahlreth discusses some new "micro-optimizations," before addressing complaints that the emulator cannot run on certain underpowered devices, explaining that these small optimization measures emphasize how little there is to do in terms of improving performance. They goes on to write, "Sorry, but your little Cortex-A53 is never going to cut it, so please stop saying 'AetherSX2 is unoptimized, give them time/devs need to work harder', there's never going to be a 5-10x improvement in performance in these scenarios, which is what you'd need. Instead, we'd like to point out the competition, and let you draw your own conclusions as to which implementations are 'optimized' and not."

Downloads are still available at https://www.aethersx2.com/archive/ and the Google Play Store, but no more builds will be developed in the foreseeable future, if ever.

:arrow: Source

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This definitely needs a source. The internet is a wild place, so I am not saying this isn’t true, partly true, or whatever but a source should really be provided. I am not gonna lie, I do tend to believe someone when they claim to get at least one death threat. I’ve gotten death threats for all kinds of shit, people are unhinged.
Definitely happens but it sounds like he's suggesting they're constant, but he's also locked the Discord so nobody can call him out on it.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
D@mn, and this emulator had so much promise as well, smfh. I really wish this dev would reconsider, but of course, the internet has no chill. Sucks that we can't have such nice things w/o someone else ruining it for the rest of us.

Curious to know why the dev wouldn't just release the source code and make it open source like Cemu?

MetoMeto

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Well, some people in communities can be dicks, that's nothing new, every group has it, whatever...
But i hope for Emulation sake that this is open source and that someone else will pick it up.

By the way, its the first time i hear about this emulator. Can my Samsung A22 run it smoothly?
Id love to try Ape Escape 2 and 3 on it!

ganons

Trophies
XP
Country
Lmao people winging saying he's making it up. He doesn't benefit by ceasing development. Heck he could have made a killing by having a paid version.

The emulator as it is, works fantastic unless you have a potato phone and way ahead of anything out there.

Reactions: Gamer4Ever

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
This is incredibly sad news. I was shocked at how well aether ran PS2 games on M1 Macs. Yeah, I know - games on a Mac. Moreover, games on an ARM-based Mac without a dedicated graphics card. And yet, here am I, playing burnout 3 with a rock solid 4K60 performance on an M1 Pro.
Couldn’t recommend Aether enough, truly an amazing piece of software

zekro94

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, some people in communities can be dicks, that's nothing new, every group has it, whatever...
But i hope for Emulation sake that this is open source and that someone else will pick it up.

By the way, its the first time i hear about this emulator. Can my Samsung A22 run it smoothly?
Id love to try Ape Escape 2 and 3 on it!

I have it on my A22 and it does run some games pretty damn well considering it's a midrange phone. I get full speed in Naruto ultimate ninja 5, Kingdom Hearts 2 and DBZ Tenkaichi 3. You can also use a controler with it(even the switch joycons)

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
This definitely needs a source. The internet is a wild place, so I am not saying this isn’t true, partly true, or whatever but a source should really be provided. I am not gonna lie, I do tend to believe someone when they claim to get at least one death threat. I’ve gotten death threats for all kinds of shit, people are unhinged.
A source is definitely important, actually for both claims. I get what you're saying about it being believable but I also do know that someone who already knows that might use it in bad faith so as to get less flack for a controversial decision we won't know for sure unless Tahlreth comes out and says it (or his emails are leaked) which unfortunately I don't really think he would, he doesn't seem like the kind of person to come clean.

Reactions: Snintendog

alhrad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Definitely happens but it sounds like he's suggesting they're constant, but he's also locked the Discord so nobody can call him out on it.
Why the hell would someone "call him out" on it? As this thread makes clear, obviously there's lots of weirdos being absurdly mad at him without conceivable reason--nothing more is really needed for people to get threatened.

I'm happy for him that he decided to shut it down, the "community" around this piece of software is clearly horrible.
Post automatically merged:

A source is definitely important, actually for both claims. I get what you're saying about it being believable but I also do know that someone who already knows that might use it in bad faith so as to get less flack for a controversial decision we won't know for sure unless Tahlreth comes out and says it (or his emails are leaked) which unfortunately I don't really think he would, he doesn't seem like the kind of person to come clean.
Why would this decision be controversial? It's his project, obviously he's perfectly justified to shut it down if it's no longer fun to work on.

• Angry

kcajjones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Seriously, these people have major issues and need help. I'm in no way condoning Internet trolls (policing the Internet is another topic) but if you can't just hit the block button and move on, I'm not sure the Internet is for you.

Look what happened to the bsnes/hogan developer. A sad tale, clearly made worse by trolls, but it was obviously a mental health issue.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I am very bias when I say that I lean towards trusting dev’s claims over a random person on the forums. This is because of my years working along side devs and seeing the shit they deal with and even experience a lot of it myself. There was a time when I was seeing a regular amount of hate messages literally due to my association with people. I am still occasionally getting creepy, hateful, and even death threats from time to time. If you are lucky, you might catch them on my Twitter. People are unhinged and no one is prepared deal with that shit.
That being said, I do agree that all claims should be followed up with evidence. Even if I am inclined to be more simplistic towards one side, I am still always looking to see the proof.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why the hell would someone "call him out" on it? As this thread makes clear, obviously there's lots of weirdos being absurdly mad at him without conceivable reason--nothing more is really needed for people to get threatened.

I'm happy for him that he decided to shut it down, the "community" around this piece of software is clearly horrible.
Post automatically merged:

Why would this decision be controversial? It's his project, obviously he's perfectly justified to shut it down if it's no longer fun to work on.
Because it's something that could easily be made up for brownie points and give him an excuse to stop working on a project he doesn't enjoy anymore.

Reactions: Dragon91Nippon

unilock

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean what allegedly happened. An internet friend and somebody claiming to be their employer saying they killed themself is no substitute for a death certificate or verifiable obituary.
i never said they killed themselves. the fact of the matter is, they cut ties with everyone they knew and dropped off the face of the earth after a hate campaign by Kiwi Farms, of which was undoubtedly joined with other repulsive corners of the internet. you could say the two events were entirely unrelated, but even if that were true, what the aforementioned community was doing was simply appalling.

Last edited by unilock,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Because it's something that could easily be made up for brownie points and give him an excuse to stop working on a project he doesn't enjoy anymore.
...or maybe this is an all-too-common occurrence? Where the devs receive an absurd amount of hate flung their way and entitled twats come out of the woodworks demanding features and functions or blindly ridiculing the project due to unrealistic expectations? What about the devs who receive death threats, slander, and hate speech because of personal identifiers? ...but sure, we'll just say they're making it up though...

Dragon91Nippon

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Nobody needs an excuse.
No but considering that he might get backlash, plus the fact that he's already very disliked by the open source community for his controversial decisions and behavior the brownie points are very plausible. He could've also quit the project and then made the claims afterwards and have much of the same result.

alhrad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
No but considering that he might get backlash, plus the fact that he's already very disliked by the open source community for his controversial decisions and behavior the brownie points are very plausible. He could've also quit the project and then made the claims afterwards and have much of the same result.
Interested in what you mean by him being disliked by the open source community, got a source for that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Is it worth it Gas wise? Length of travel.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    lgbqt products
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got 3 stores all within half a mile and a gas station in that same area so it's worth it
    +1
    LGBTQIA+ Products :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not the gay ride lunch meat :ohnoes:
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Walmart is an 60 mile round trip for me, and yes, I still spend less even after the gas cost. :) I dont go there just for milk. I do 2 big hauls a month, fill the cart up.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gay Ride™ at a Walmart near you
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    lol GBAtemp mentioned in the latest Bringus Studios video
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    never heard of that developer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, was my anti hate trolling shitbox messages recorded
    :O Holy Cow 60 Miles !
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    why people use miles
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At 60 miles I'd just use instacart
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @NinStar, cause 8 miles and runnin
    LOL! I'd lmao if they put a gay ride in the little arcade section they have in this walmart. It could be like the horses rides you put quarters in, except it would be like the ambiguously gay duo cartoon & you sit on top of the other guy thats in a "flying" position. LMAO!
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm pretty sure parents would have an issue with gay rides
    +1
    There is zero instacart delivery to here. No door dash. No Uber. Notta. Its a small farming community
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    eagerly awaiting 4x 8TB HDDs to get delivered today
    So I drive the 30 miles there, spend $100-$150 on groceries, and drive back home. Still saved $$$ after gas over shopping locally.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'd think you could make deals with local farmers
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I could make a killing there doing instcart there :D @RedColoredStars
    It makes the trip even more worth it if I'm out of my medication and need to stop by the medical dispensary. I try to line the two up to avoid extra trips.
    +1
    @AncientBoi, Except the town is pretty MAGA infested. People still flying TRUMP 2016 flags all over. They didnt get the memo the year changed since then. lol.
    +1
    They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies. $300 fine and misdemeanor charge if caught. People can walk down the street smoking cigs and tossing the butts all over, but God forbit someone take a couple puffs of their medication.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: They passed a city ordinance last month. No smoking cannabis in public. Not even eating gummies...