Around 140,000 more NNID accounts may have been logged into maliciously, says Nintendo

EVMGrbqUYAAz7Ax.jpg

In April of this year, Nintendo responded to the increasingly high amount of suspicious login attempts to Nintendo Network ID accounts affecting users across the world, promising that they would investigate the cause of the malicious logins. An update to the report has been made, as of June 9th, following up on their initial statement on the matter. Previously, Nintendo claimed that around 160,000 accounts were affected, telling NNID users to turn on 2-factor authentication, while also allowing refunds for games bought illegally on compromised accounts. The updated report states that another 140,000 IDs and passwords were accessed, in addition to the original figure of 160,000, bringing the total to around 300,000, which is "less than 1%" of total NNID users.

Nintendo stresses that credit card information saved to profiles was not able to be seen by those hacking into the accounts, though if you did save payment data to your account, it may have been able to be used to purchase items on the Nintendo eShop. You will also no longer able to use your NNID to login to your Nintendo account, with all illegally accessed accounts to have their passwords reset automatically. According to Nintendo's investigation, these passwords were not obtained via any breaches to their own services, meaning the accounts were most likely accessed due to the emails and passwords being shared across other services that had been hacked in the past.

:arrow: Source

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That's why I never save my bank account to any companies, just get a paid cash card, and recharge it only the amount of money needed for every purchase.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's why I never save my bank account to any companies, just get a paid cash card, and recharge it only the amount of money needed for every purchase.
My credit card is linked to my Nintendo / Microsoft account and my paypal is linked to my PSN.

I never had any issues with anything the only issue I had was when Sony charged me $60 for a PS Plus subscription (which I thought I had opted out of paying)

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
My credit card is linked to my Nintendo / Microsoft account and my paypal is linked to my PSN.

I never had any issues with anything the only issue I had was when Sony charged me $60 for a PS Plus subscription (which I thought I had opted out of paying)
Do you know the only secured server and never got hacked was M$', right? $ony back at earlier ps3tops4 time got cracked several times with hundreds of thousands accounts stolen, many people has credit cards charged and $ony even refused to refund them.
i would never trust $ony's shitty online security. get paid cash card, never use the main one, dude.

p.s. yeah, the automatic PSN+ renew is very fishy, but $ony failed to charge the fee cauz i have a paid cash card, the card is always empty . :P

Last edited by leon315,

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Luckily im underage so the hacker probably wont get any credit card info off me :3
Still though nintendo fix your servers, switch is not the only thing that needs stabilizing

Fidget

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
birdinter.net
XP
Country
United States
From everything I've read this seems to be a password reuse problem and not a problem on Nintendo's end. Check your passwords with haveibeenpwned and enable 2-factor. It's amazing how quickly you can crack large sets of passwords with a little help from AWS.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That's why I don't have any card info in any account. I purchase, and then immediately, remove the card, or use a temporary card only for that purchase.
Anyway, I'm off to my OS exam. Sorry for you all that were hacked.
Think about how the Switch feels.

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They may have been hacked but at least they actually tell everyone immediately and not afraid to admit they were breached.

Definitely. Depending on the situation it can be embarrassing to have been hacked, regardless, it's the digital age, so it's going to happen sometimes.

Nintendo's handling of it is much better than Sony's, it's ridiculous that people are fearful of Sony, just because they operate illegally and the threaten to sue. They use legislative/ court warfare to do as they please, the main reason I no longer support them.

Mythical

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot all my info for that and the corresponding email. I could care less if they have my account as I backed up all my games to cia format :D

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know the only secured server and never got hacked was M$', right? $ony back at earlier ps3tops4 time got cracked several times with hundreds of thousands accounts stolen, many people has credit cards charged and $ony even refused to refund them.
i would never trust $ony's shitty online security. get paid cash card, never use the main one, dude.

p.s. yeah, the automatic PSN+ renew is very fishy, but $ony failed to charge the fee cauz i have a paid cash card, the card is always empty . :P

I used to use one until they started charging like $5 to recharge the card so I just said I'll use my credit card since it was convenient this is the credit card that my subscriptions goes to. I'm going to unlink my paypal acocnt from my PS4 I don't have plans of using PSN in the near future

Redhorse

Warehouse 13 Curator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They are a gaming company, they need to hire security [infrastructure] experts to handle this type of online security (along with sales & Networking (online services of all kinds) for their shop. Obviously, they're not doing such a hot job. Come on Nintendo, stop trying to be a jack-of-all-trades, it's not good for business, and it's not shameful to ask for help from experts in that field.
Sounds like they've been hacked more than once, transparency of the situation is in order I'd say.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On one end, Nintendo's (legal) behavior makes it feel like karma when they get breached or have a massive data leak of some kind.

On the other, all these that affect player accounts, just makes me glad I'm keeping my own offline for the time being.

moto4mods

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol I don’t need to prove anything to you asshole.

Go play else where.
My point is, sometimes you get an email that says hey reset your password. Sometimes that IS THE ATTACK. not saying your lying, maybe they needed to be quick and did slip up. But maybe that's not even from Nintendo.

Also your an asshole, I didn't accuse you of shit.

MohammedQ8

Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
My point is, sometimes you get an email that says hey reset your password. Sometimes that IS THE ATTACK. not saying your lying, maybe they needed to be quick and did slip up. But maybe that's not even from Nintendo.

Also your an asshole, I didn't accuse you of shit.

Sorry ..... you know ... text .... so I wasn’t sure.

I think it is from Nintendo and why can’t they made mistakes ? Are they robots ?

Attachments

• DAB4D676-49A6-44FB-AF73-75033CD499C9.png
    DAB4D676-49A6-44FB-AF73-75033CD499C9.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 120

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: Come to think of it, I might make 🌭 for lunch today. A change of pace...