FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So watched a video in which some apparently controversial youtube type (not sure they are, or make it big enough and anybody will have their haters) had a their music playlist leaked. Rather eclectic tastes, though not controversial in any way in and of itself, it seems but like what you like (spend enough time playing mechanic and what CDs people have or what they tune their radio to, or nowadays the help them connect their phone to it and test, will stop surprising you).
Anyway seeing this apparently some of the artists said youtube type was a fan of turned around and said please don't listen to us.

Now separating art from the artist is an ages old question/debate in whatever creative field you care to contemplate. Liking the work but not the fans is also one (see any number of films from fight club to scarface).
Artists asking to separate from their fans, much less actively inviting them not to listen to them, is a not a new one*, but it is a very rare one. Both generally speaking (you make the art, you put it out there, then come what may) and from a purely financial/reach perspective. I can see more if you are doing outright dangerous things or maybe some cases of duality of knowledge plays a role, there are things I hold back on there but that is more my dislike for fast car rides in a face bag. Likewise just as the thoughts that go through the head of the poor bastard bearing the brunt of some arsehole customer's displeasure and threats to never come back are "I wish that is the case" I can also see people not caring if certain types don't enjoy their work. Personally I still reckon more flies with honey so if a deplorable reads my works and eventually finds their way back to reality then go me, don't know what that might be of mine that does it (technical things and statistical analysis tending not to speak to much) but I have heard stranger stories and I suppose plenty of people left religion after contemplating science so maybe.

*Punk has some of a history of it
Dead Kennedys -Nazi Punks Fuck Off

Thoughts on this? Would you if playing artist tell someone to get lost? Not even from a gig/showing if they were being an arsehole but just as a passive consumer.

Reactions: TheCasualties

TheCasualties

Just trying to be helpful
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Idk, in my experience most artists that hate their 'customers' don't really make good art. I know I've met some musicians that are happy to practically give their CD's away to anyone, just so more people can hear it. If they like it, they will tell their friends about them.

When I'm selling my art, I try to connect to every single potential customer on a personal level. I couldn't imagine being an asshole to someone who likes my stuff. Even if I disagree with their ideals, there is always something that humans can connect with.

I guess it's probably different for musicians, their art can be copied and pirated infinitely.. but I'd like to think I would still be glad they got to hear my music. Hell, I've given away a bunch of prototype stuff for free, just to get feedback.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends, listening to my music or enjoying my art in the privacy of their own home is A-OK

But using something I created and creating an association between myself and them - and their maligned message -- I would not be okay with

Good example is the Christchurch shooter saying "subscribe to Pewdiepie" - I absolutely understand Pewds not wanting to be associated with a mass murderer

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally wouldn't. Either way, assuming you're using it for your own personal enjoyment, then they can say whatever they like but they can't stop you. One Youtube channel I follow at once said/implied "If you don't wholly support BLM without complaint, then you aren't welcome here." I promptly ignored that since, well, why should I care? It's not like they can stop me from watching their videos. I agree with x65943 that public use/endorsements are a different thing entirely since that brings the artist's reputation directly into play.

Reactions: x65943

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: