Asus reveals the ROG Ally X, with better battery life and more "repair-friendly" design

aaaaa.png

Drumming up hype by teasing a new product, with its formal reveal to come next month is Asus, who just announced the latest revision to their ROG Ally handheld. Titled the ROG Ally X, it'll be a refresh to the original model, sporting improvement in various ways, such as better battery life, a new black color scheme, being more "repair friendly", swappable analog sticks, and support for larger M.2 drives. The Ally X will still feature the same screen and hardware internals as the original did, with an AMD Z1/Extreme CPU powering the device and its 1080p 7-inch LCD screen.

Asus teased more details to arrive on June 2nd, where we'll get to learn more about how Asus has improved the RAM, ports, and the "significant" upgrade to the upcoming device's battery.

:arrow: Source

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If the battery life is as big an upgrade as they're suggesting I might actually be tempted to upgrade. It's the one thing these Windows handhelds are really lagging behind on.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have to wonder whether this will put any sort of pressure on Valve to release a Steam Deck 2.
I very much doubt it. This is still LCD and still Windows, so Steam Deck OLED is still arguably the better portable, especially when considering the lower price point.

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
swappable analog stick?? holyy shieettt
Post automatically merged:

I very much doubt it. This is still LCD and still Windows, so Steam Deck OLED is still arguably the better portable, especially when considering the lower price point.

sorry to say this but the fact that it’s windows is actually better for some people. not everyone is a fan of linux os. you can run epic games, older windows game, any windows program for modding seamlessly.

also you do realize the lower price point also equal to lower raw performance right? since the steam deck is much older

Last edited by whitesword7,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
sorry to say this but the fact that it’s windows is actually better for some people. not everyone is a fan of linux os. you can run epic games, older windows game, any windows program for modding seamlessly
As far as compatibility goes, there will always be a select few outliers because of shitty anti-cheat programs that don't actually do anything to keep cheaters out, but Windows will never be the better UI for portable systems when compared to SteamOS. Especially now that Microsoft has started pushing desktop ads with Win 11.

That's already out dated now
Nobody's come even close to matching Deck's price point for a portable PC with an HDR OLED 90Hz screen. Spending more to get less in return has always been outdated.

whitesword7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As far as compatibility goes, there will always be a select few outliers because of shitty anti-cheat programs that don't actually do anything to keep cheaters out, but Windows will never be the better UI for portable systems when compared to SteamOS. Especially now that Microsoft has started pushing desktop ads with Win 11.

Nobody's come even close to matching Deck's price point for a portable PC with an HDR OLED 90Hz screen. Spending more to get less in return has always been outdated.

completely agree with you how steamOS is much better and more tailored for portable gaming.

I’m just saying not everyone want/able to deal with linux’s quirks like wine and proton.

I hope with steam deck linux gaming is becoming more popular so that we don’t need to get chained down with wine/proton and company like epic/the modding community actually provides native support for linux

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd argue the current Ally does a decent job of putting up a fight if you get it on what appears to be a pretty regular sale. I've seen it new at £530, with great condition pre owned ones going for £400 or less. Compared to the £479 starting price of the OLED deck I honestly would call it a fairly even game that comes down to what you want out of your handheld.

Steam Deck clearly wins out in a more streamlined console experience out of the box, and is also the choice for gaming away from a plug socket. There's a caveat that you won't get quite the same performance compared to something like the Ally, but you're also likely targeting a lower resolution as standard on the Deck anyway.

The Ally has power on its side and is what I would consider to be a more portable package. The Windows support can be a plus for some and despite it taking more to setup out of the box, can still stand up as a gaming system. You lose out on battery for sure (which is why I'm hoping the improvements on the Ally X are substantial) but as somebody who's rarely away from a plug, even when traveling (most trains here have plugs on them, which is nice) I really feel like I can make the most of the Ally's performance.

I also feel like they're on pretty even grounds in terms of screens. The Deck's HDR OLED 90Hz screen is obviously lush, but I do personally prefer the VRR of the Ally's 120Hz screen. Even as an LCD it looks great, so I do think both have their perks.

I'll never deny that the Deck is a stellar pick for a handheld, but I do disagree that it's the answer to every portable PC gaming problem like everybody makes it out to be. I want to keep seeing more options, from both Valve and competitors to really drive the space forwards more.

Reactions: AlexMCS and Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'll never deny that the Deck is a stellar pick for a handheld, but I do disagree that it's the answer to every portable PC gaming problem like everybody makes it out to be. I want to keep seeing more options, from both Valve and competitors to really drive the space forwards more.
Yeah, I want companies to compete more aggressively with Deck in terms of price and user experience, since I feel like Valve already nailed the balance between performance, thermals, and portability. There aren't any "killer apps" that Ally can run which Deck can't, with new games it comes down almost entirely to optimization or lack thereof.

As strictly an emulation device I'd probably recommend the AYN Odin 2 Pro over either Deck or Ally, as the price is lower than both and it is more compact, with great battery life. There aren't any PS3 or Dreamcast emulators for Android, though, so there are some trade-offs there too.

Reactions: Tsukiru and pustal

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All these handhelds and people still buy the Steam Deck as they trust what they're buying.

I'm very interested when they'll release a Steam Deck 2. Probably not anytime soon.

There aren't any Dreamcast emulators for Android
What the hell? Redream is on Android and it's awesome!

I played the whole of Rayman DC version via that emulator.

there isn't? i thought redream existed for that? i don't like the emulator but even on pc it looks like it's tailor made for mobile and mobile only
There is. Guess he wasn't aware.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
there isn't? i thought redream existed for that? i don't like the emulator but even on pc it looks like it's tailor made for mobile and mobile only
What the hell? Redream is on Android and it's awesome!

I played the whole of Rayman DC version via that emulator.
Sorry I meant Wii U, not Dreamcast. Android is missing good Xbox/Xbox 360 emulators as well.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry I meant Wii U, not Dreamcast. Android is missing good Xbox/Xbox 360 emulators as well.
pc also is missing good xbox/xbox 360 emulators as well to be fair, none of the games i want to emulate on xenia/xenia canary or xemu run properly without significant graphical issues or crashes

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
pc also is missing good xbox/xbox 360 emulators as well to be fair, none of the games i want to emulate on xenia/xenia canary or xemu run properly without significant graphical issues or crashes
JSRF runs great on Steam Deck from what I've played of it, pretty much the only Xbox game I feel a need to emulate. Need to get Geometry Wars 2 on there some time to see how it runs too. Pretty much everything else has a Steam version available.

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
JSRF runs great on Steam Deck from what I've played of it, pretty much the only Xbox game I feel a need to emulate. Need to get Geometry Wars 2 on there some time to see how it runs too.
midnight club 3 is nearly unplayable because the car's headlights render as a giant white blob covering everything

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIpfWORQWhU