Atari announces the "Atari 2600+", a re-release of its iconic Atari 2600 with new features

In a surprising take, Atari has announced today the return of its iconic Atari 2600 console released originally in 1977. The console, which sparked a lot of mainstream popularity during the late 70s and early 80s, will be getting an updated version with many new enhancements and modern features for players to enjoy, like HDMI output, widescreen and even with the ability to play physical Atari 2600 and 7800 cartridges right on the console.

According to Atari, the new console will have the following features:
  • Plays both Atari 2600 and 7800 game cartridges
  • HDMI output makes it easy to connect
  • Widescreen mode
  • Enlarged cartridge socket reduces sticking
  • Atari logo lights up when being played
As for what the console will include, Atari has listed the following items which will come alongside the Atari 2600+ console:
  • Atari 2600+ Game System
  • Atari CX40+ Joystick recreated to the same specifications as the original
  • Atari 10-in-1 Game Cartridge with the following games:
    • Adventure®
    • Combat®
    • Dodge 'Em™
    • Haunted House®
    • Maze Craze™
    • Missile Command®
    • RealSports® Volleyball
    • Surround™
    • Video Pinball™
    • Yars' Revenge®
  • HDMI Cable
  • USB-C Power Cable
  • DB9 port connectors compatible with original Atari 2600 hardware.
It has been confirmed that the system will indeed use emulation to play the titles, and Atari has also included a full compatibility list of games that will be compatible with the console, both from the 2600 and 7800 sides, and of course the beloved E.T. The Extra-Terrestial is fully playable with the 2600+ for players to enjoy in full HD. As for the system's hardware specifications, it will be featuring a Rockchip 3128 SOC microprocessor with 256MB DDR3 RAM and 256MB eMMC fixed internal storage. The system itself will be available on November 2023.

The Atari 2600+ is now available for pre-orders with a price of $129.99 USD, and the shipping for the system will begin on November 2023, although the list of retailers for international availability hasn't been added yet.

:arrow: Atari 2600+ Official Website
:arrow: Atari 2600+ Games Compatibility List

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got an Atari 2600 on Christmas morning the year I was in 6th grade. It was a "sixer" version, heavy or light I dunno. I played that thing to death for the next 3-4 years. Memory/nostalgia overflow.

And I wouldn't pay fifty cents for this remake. I used that Atari because I had to. Parents wouldn't listen to talk of also buying Colecovision or Intellivision and tbh those kinda sucked even more. Atari 400, 800, or an actual computer like TRS-80 or Apple were all out of the question. Too poor for that. And Nintendo didn't come along until I was a freshman in college. So for a while there, Atari was what most of us then were stuck with. Doesn't mean we liked it.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
who in the fuck would pay that for OLD shit? o wait (looks over shoulder at the nintendo fanboys) :creep:
Old shit? But there is a "+" at the end of its name

As for that 10-in-1 cartridge, they mostly seem to be games that didn't make history, unlike centipedes or space invaders or pacman or any games that are considered as real classics.

Reactions: dudeguy2022

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old shit? But there is a "+" at the end of its name

As for that 10-in-1 cartridge, they mostly seem to be games that didn't make history, unlike centipedes or space invaders or pacman or any games that are considered as real classics.
To be fair I don't think anyone would want to play Pacman on the 2600.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have nostalgia as Atari 2600 was my first ever console to play as a child. Still remember the smell of hot plastic when you turned it on and changing the TV's knob wheel to get in the right channel with less noise to play "comfortably".

Emulation... my Wii can do the same, granted, it's not HDMI and most CRTs are not 480p compatible, so Component is out... but I'd gladly buy this new Atari 2600+ just for pure nostalgia.
I think it'd make a nice collector's piece

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be fair I don't think anyone would want to play Pacman on the 2600.
You know, the whole point of these emulation consoles is for the nostalgia, so im pretty sure you are wrong on this one...

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, the whole point of these emulation consoles is for the nostalgia, so im pretty sure you are wrong on this one...
I think the 2600 version was by far the most hated version of the game. But I guess there is at least 1 person on this planet who loves it.

rusty shackleford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way too much for what it is. If you could load and play atari roms on the internal storage then great. There are tons of great homebrew roms for Atari, some are fixed version of the retail game like Pacman for example, and being able to play them on this would be a big selling point. Specs are outdated but is enough to serve the purpose of the machine. The same chip is in the Q400 handheld that released 3 years ago, and it can barely handle ps1 and n64. Really dont see people buying this if you can mod it. Should of retailed for $60, no way this is going to compete with the mini consoles.

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
They missed a trick why did they not include a AV 3.5 jack like the earlier raspberry pi models for analogue connection to a crt television.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why is there a compatibility list? What's the point of making a new, premium Atari 2600 that supports old carts if they can't even bother to get all the games running???
I wouldnt be shocked if they added that as a fail safe just incase there is some super random game that has issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Z like Sunday morning